Sax on the Web Forum banner

End plug

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  maddenma 
#1 ·
Hey Buescher folk --- what is the correct end plug for a early forties Big B Alto made of? Anyone have a spare they would be willing to part with? Thanks in advance. Lp

#2 ·
Don't have a spare but my 27##### 'Crat Alto has a brass end plug. Does it really matter? The end plug is the toilet paper of the saxophone world....does an important job and without it you're in the s#!%, but in a pinch anything will do. Turn one up out of wood or use a champagne cork trimmed to fit.

#3 ·
The plastic ones sold on ebay for under $2 are great.
I have them in a bunch of tenors.
They are actually much better than the original white plastic ones in Bueschers.

If you find it is a bit big to fit the tenon receiver, cut a strip of sandpaper, wrap it around the tenon insert of the plug,
and ream it down some to fit snugly.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Hey everyone! Please check out www.saxplugs.com. They are beautiful handmade end plugs made from exotic hardwoods, and are much cheaper than plugs you will find on ebay. They are also available in dozens of designs.
Wow, $30 to $45 for an end plug seems a little pricey to me. It's not like it's going to be seen or will perform any other function than keeping the neck receiver and octave key bar being damaged.

#8 ·
The original could have been either brass or white plastic -- depending on the year. I suspect it was plastic, however. Just get one of the $2 ones or get an HW Pad Saver which will do the same thing for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.