Sax on the Web Forum banner

The Grassi "Wonderful" model

31K views 135 replies 14 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Some weeks ago, I bought Milandro's Grassi "Wonderful" alto.
It is just that....simply wonderful; probably the best horn that I have ever played....effortless, & so comfortable to play with the rectangular keyboard style pearl touches. A super, chunky, & colourful sounding horn. For years I had a Selmer BA alto but that did not impress me to the same degree.
As a tenor player I have been weaned to the alto; I have played it continually since I received it.
Does anyone know the history of this model & is the tenor variant equally good? If so, I would gladly swap my Professional 2000 for one.
Shame about the naff name....perhaps "Meraviglioso" would have been more appropriate.

#2 ·
Re: The Grassi "Wonderful" model.

From the lack of response, this model, from the 70s, was clearly short lived & effectively forgotten.
Perhaps too expensive to produce, or aimed at a suspicious market....who would buy a Ferrari with a Ford badge?

#3 ·

I am afraid that I had looked , far and wide, before selling this horn to you , in order to find anything about this rather special saxophone and I am convinced that you are now one of the few owners of a Grassi Wonderful Alto (I did see and correspond with the owner of a Wonderful Model tenor but that horn didn't have the rectangular pearl touches which make this particular horn so recognisable . Unfortunately, the Grassi history fell into oblivion with the disappearance of the true Ida Maria Grassi factory (the name and trade mark survive but that is about it!) and its people and the death of the " Old Lady" Ida Maria. I am very happy that that horn went to a true enthusiast and I which you many, may years of happy playing on it!

#4 ·

Thank you milandro for your response....if you don't know then no-one does.
I am now playing alto to the extent that I shall have to change my user name.
To think that I believed the alto was suitable for only girls, learners & "serious" people (Charles Parker, Cannonball Adderley, Louis Jordon & a few others excluded)....shame on me. ;rolleyes;

#7 ·

Thank you milandro for your response....if you don't know then no-one does.
I am now playing alto to the extent that I shall have to change my user name.
To think that I believed the alto was suitable for only girls, learners & "serious" people (Charles Parker, Cannonball Adderley, Louis Jordon & a few others excluded)....shame on me. ;rolleyes;
Yes indeed Captain the alto is a very serious horn!! Maybe you will 'progress' to a tasty Conn6M someday or a nicely set up Serie3. In fact if the wife and I move your way as we have always planned to do---someday, well who knows!
Good luck with a happy purchase!

#6 ·

Well, I may be able to add some info on this model soon... meanwhile I'm waiting for my "Wonderful" model alto!
This particular example doesn't have the rectangular keys, but it has the gold lacquered keywork which I much prefer to the nickel finish.

Anyway, I found out from someone who bought a Wonderful new in Italy in the 70s, that the rectangular keytouches were a special order to the tune of and extra 30,000 italian lira!
Regards and I hope my Wonderful will be as wonderful as your Wonderful... yes, I need to get out more!
M.

#8 ·

Would/could Grassi have used the same body tube design for different models at about the same period, with differences confined to the keywork, ergonomics and decoration ? I would guess that once a manufacturer is happy with the sound and intonation, they wouldn't make significant changes to the bore. Or maybe they would experiment and change some parts like the neck.

If that was the case, then other Grassi models from around this period should give a similar sound, even if they don't feel the same under the fingers.

And I suppose that a great alto doesn't necessarily mean that the tenor would sound or feel as good. Maybe they didn't even make a Wonderful tenor ?

Rhys

#9 ·

I am quite sure that the basic body tube was the same for different models but the keywork and tonehole position was different between the balanced action models and the unbalanced action ones (jade models and other similar ones) . They did make a wonderful model tenor, I saw it , it was for sale some time ago in Italy but had no rectangular key touches which I didn't know they were a special order feature. The keywork of that particular example that I've sold to the Captain is not nickel plated but very heavily silver plated!

#12 ·

Well, in 1977 it was about the equivalent of one third to half of the weekly salary of an ordinary worker in England so no too little
A relatively costly optional extra, but well worth it for the comfort.
It should be an optional extra on all saxophones....the equivalent of paying more for leather upholstery, or air conditioning in a motor car.

#14 ·

I am sure that the future of the top segment in saxophones is all in customisation and special features
I feel certain that you are right.
The comfortable keywork of the Wonderful prompted me to modify a C Mel tenor along the same lines...Alan has been kind enough to feature it on his blog.
http://cmelodysax.co.uk/blog/

#15 ·

Good grief Captain, that is one original looking C Mel! Great custom work, do you do this full time? You mention using soft solder for the keytouches, have you tried using low melting point silver solder? May I ask a couple of questions?
Where di you source the adjustable thumbhook, the only place I can find is Votaw in the US. Where did you source the outside lining for the case? I've been looking at Rexine, but not easy to get samples to judge suitability.
I have several vintage cases I would like to refurbish, but I never started because of the outer lining: it needs to be durable but also thin enough to follow the contours of the case.
And at some point may I contact you on some Grassi info?

Cheers,
M.

#17 ·

Good grief Captain, that is one original looking C Mel! Great custom work, do you do this full time? You mention using soft solder for the keytouches, have you tried using low melting point silver solder? May I ask a couple of questions?
Where di you source the adjustable thumbhook, the only place I can find is Votaw in the US. Where did you source the outside lining for the case? I've been looking at Rexine, but not easy to get samples to judge suitability.
I have several vintage cases I would like to refurbish, but I never started because of the outer lining: it needs to be durable but also thin enough to follow the contours of the case.
And at some point may I contact you on some Grassi info?

Cheers,
M.
Thanks for your kind words.
As for the adjustable thumbhook, it is home made. Cut from a sheet of 3mm black perspex; ever present on eBay. A circular backplate into which the swivel screw is centrally mounted with the thumbhook, curved under the action of heat & the width of the backplate diameter. The washer is an old circular pearl, & the clamping screw the barrel nut from an old Rovner ligature.
The outside lining is some form of flexible leather-cloth bought from eBay for next to nothing.....but it does involve looking until the right piece appears.
No, I do not do this for a living, but I am an engineer who enjoys fiddling.
By all means feel free to contact me on Grassi info....but milandro is the chap to ask....he knows everything about Italian horns & more besides.

#18 ·

Hello milandro and all who know something about the Wonderful model!

I read that you seem to like the Grassi Altos.

Are they really good?
Because I ve the chance to buy one...a model named :"Wonderful", Serial 36XXX

Could this be a good model? Can you describe the tone?

I'm looking forward to your answer!

Nice greets,

Flo

#19 ·

it's a great horn, I owned it for a couple of years and then I sold it to Captain Beeflat here on SOTW.
The wonderful with model the rectangular touch pearls is very rare indeed and plays with a nice mellow, lyric and rather dark sound which is the characteristic of all Grassi but with the added bonus of a modern mechanics exceeded only by later models such as the Professional 2000 and it is much better than the previous models like the famous jade rollers.

#22 ·

I never understand either "classical sax"....to me an oxymoron, or the difference between a "Jazz" or a "Classical sax"....surely it all depends upon the way in which it is played.
I have a "Wonderful" with rectangular pearls....& yes, it does have a big phat sound...also exceedingly good ergonomics.

#24 ·

To really hear a saxophone you have to be there when it is played....independent of any recording system.
I can say no more than it is does everything that could be expected of a good alto, a lovely horn....better, in my memory than Selmer BA that, long ago, I used to own. However memories are fickle & I may well be a better player now.
Oh...& I still maintain that the style of playing is in the hands of the player almost exclusively.
It has been said that the reason for the exclusion of saxophones in orchestras is due to any player sounding totally different to another on what is, ostensibly, the same instrument.

#27 ·

Please forgive me butting in where the question was directed at milandro.....but are you certain that this is a "Wonderful" model?
Nowhere in the blurb is the model name mentioned as far as I can see.
Also, compared with my "Wonderful" alto, it differs in not having a "double swivel" bell brace ring nor an adjustable right thumb rest.

#37 ·

Because I found one with this serial...sounds pretty nice! Is it as good as the Wonderful?
I have both, but in different sizes...a Wonderful alto & a Pro. 2000 tenor.
Neither one is "better" than the other, they are both very good indeed.
I do agree with milandro about waiting for a better looking example to come along. Unless, of course, you like the "distressed" look, which could work to your advantage in arriving at a price.
Personally, I like a horn to look as good as it plays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.