• Saxaholic

by Published on 06-15-2012 09:27 AM     Number of Views: 3741 
    1. Categories:
    2. Music Industry,
    3. Reviews

The Vintage American Alto Heavyweight Bout!

In this corner, nicknamed after a famous player from the 20's, wearing stunning original gold plate and fancy engraving, the Conn "Chu Berry" 228,xxx serial!

And in the other corner, touted by the greats such as Art Pepper and Earl Bostic, the enigmatic and often relacquered, "The Martin Alto" 167,xxx serial!

These two will go head to head to determine the winner!

NOTE: BOTH HORNS WERE ADJUSTED TO PERFECTION!!

Initial Impressions

Conn "Chu Berry" 228k: This horn was in excellent cosmetic shape for being over 80 years old, and absolutely stunning. This is considered a "portrait model" ...
    by Published on 11-15-2011 11:34 AM     Number of Views: 5548 

I recently had a chance to play the new Viking M58 Legend Series tenor saxophones. I played both a cognac lacquer finish and the antiqued finish popular on many taiwanese horns. The horns were played every day for several weeks before writing the review.

NOTE: BOTH HORNS WERE ADJUSTED TO PERFECTION!!

Initial Impressions

Viking M58 Legend Cognac Lacquer: This is one of my favorite finishes on horns today. It is similar to the "vintage gold" lacquer on Phil Barone horns, although I felt the finish was a ...
    by Published on 09-24-2011 11:00 PM     Number of Views: 15008 
    1. Categories:
    2. Reviews

This is an updated review containing several new mouthpieces and further impressions on his Phil-Tone Eclipse that I've been playing for a few years now.

Initial Impressions

Phil-Tone Aurora alto: Wasn't sure what to expect with this mouthpiece. I had remembered seeing these mouthpieces on Junkdude for a while, and thinking they were some kind of expensive plastic student mouthpiece. I was very, very wrong. The first few notes really surprised me...you'll see how in a bit.

Phil-Tone Solstice alto: Very excited for this one. Paul Desmond was my beginning inspiration to playing alto and I continue to emulate his sound on every acoustic gig. I had my reservations, as ...
    by Published on 08-21-2010 10:36 PM     Number of Views: 22423 
    1. Categories:
    2. Reviews

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages....welcome...to the MAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING!

Standing in the blue corner, weighing in at 210,xxx serial with original lacquer and fresh pads, the reigning and defending champion, the Mark VI alto saxophone!!

Standing in the red corner, a fighter with a reputation that's been building for years, weighing in at abalone shell key touches, antiqued lacquer, and rolled tone holes, the P. Mauriat 67R alto saxophone!

And standing in...the......other....*ahem*corner, is the newcomer, receiver of much praise, but has he truly been tested? Weighing in at a bare brass finish and value for dollar, the Barone Vintage alto saxophone!

Tonight, these ...
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

jddartdds

Review: Conn Chu vs. The Martin Alto

Excellent review of two of my favorite vintage saxophones. Thanks! Go to last post

jddartdds 10-17-2014 01:41 AM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Pete Thomas

Re: POLL: How do your really feel about Kenny G?

I can't promise it's the truth, just what appears to be the facts when you look at various statements objectively and, as fas as possible, in context.

Take something out of context, add a bias to...

Pete Thomas Today, 12:44 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: Big B Buescher Alto in perfect condition for $1050 ?!

Are you going to play it or flip it?

Dr G Today, 12:41 PM Go to last post
    interinfo

Big B Buescher Alto in perfect condition for $1050 ?!

The guy claims it is a very good deal for that price....

serienummer 340801, from 1952

interinfo Today, 12:39 PM Go to last post
    monkmydear

Re: Soprano, Tenor mouthpieces FS / FT

T1 is sold. Thanks Allesio !

monkmydear Today, 12:35 PM Go to last post
    wagtenor

Re: POLL: How do your really feel about Kenny G?

Wow, the ignorance poureth over....

Thanks Pete and Cliveyx for sharing the truth. Ignorance, negativity, envy etc is just so prevalent.

sent on the move...

wagtenor Today, 12:34 PM Go to last post