• Recent Articles

Neil Sharpe-

Consistent, High Levels Of Performance Under Pressure

A few years ago, I published a program on SOTW for stage fright and anxiety that has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times.

After publication, over the years, I received many questions about the emotional and psychological aspects of performing, especially why we can't perform consistently well every time, all the time.

The answer is "distractions".

Imagine a circle. When you compete and/or perform at your very best, the circle is 100 percent complete. However, when distractions get in your way (which includes "thinking", nerves, anxiety, and self-doubt), each distraction removes a slice of the circle until you are performing at only a fraction of your potential.

By far, the most serious distraction is that voice in your head that shows up at the worst possible time to comment on how you're doing, to worry about you making mistakes, wonder what people are thinking about you, and so on.

It doesn't have to be that way.

"Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition and Performance" is a program that can be accessed for free.

Categories: Education 
    Neil Sharpe Yesterday 05:30 PM Go to last post
  • Recent Activity Widget

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2015

Thread Starter: mrpeebee

Time for a new and fresh Beginners & Intermediates (B&I) thread for 2015 (continuing from >the last B&I 2014 page<). This thread is for all Beginner and Intermediate players who would like to share their progress and recordings. Posting your stuff is great, but commenting and discussing on other...

Last Post By: mrpeebee Today, 11:06 AM Go to last post

Mobile forum access (was Tapatalk)

Thread Starter: Nefertiti

I know the other thread was closed but my primary way of checking new threads and posts for the last couple years has been on my phone with Tapatalk. I go to my desktop to post long post and read more indepth but I check SOTW a lot on the run with Tapatalk. Is there anyway to turn it back on and...

Last Post By: getafix Today, 09:59 AM Go to last post
    blue82 coupe

Custom 82Z Club??

Thread Starter: blue82 coupe

Anyone up for starting The Custom 82Z Club?

Last Post By: Jazzboyfunk Today, 01:54 PM Go to last post

Venus Saxophones

Thread Starter: altoman

Does anyone have any experience with this saxophones. They are probably Taiwanese stencils and Selmer copies. I can't seem to find any information on them. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Venus-Quality-ALTO-SAX-Antique-Finish-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7361311961QQcategoryZ624QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last Post By: Berry sax 11-28-2015, 09:31 PM Go to last post
    Dave Pollack

TOTM November 2015- John Coltrane

Thread Starter: Dave Pollack

First off I want to thank Phil (Phil1) for selecting me to host this month. I will try to be very active in commenting and submitting my own recordings in order to keep it a lively thread. There have been some issues with threads not being very active and people not posting (for various...

Last Post By: Dave Pollack Today, 01:31 PM Go to last post
  • vooco

There is no available content written by vooco
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Re: FS: Conn NWII “Transitional” Alto in gold plate - 1930 - 238XXX - Overhauled!

Fine horns and this is a bargain. My old mentor, a professional player of 40 years, played a Mark VI for decades and acquired a gold Conn of this vintage. The Conn is now the only horn he plays for...

Saxaholic Today, 03:08 PM Go to last post
    Jive Dadson

Re: Question about tip opening and reed size

If it's a 5*, that's great too. Dexter Gordon used 5* mouthpieces for decades. He "opened up" in the 70's. I don't know why.

Jive Dadson Today, 03:08 PM Go to last post

Re: WWBW SELLING M/O 10$ NEW just letting you all know

I ordered 2 M/O ligs also,they are now back ordered until 12/9. I also ordered some reeds, their prices are lower on Rico than what they were a few weeks ago.

vbluesman Today, 03:06 PM Go to last post

Re: The reason Silver-Sonics have lacquer over silver...

A coat of lacquer would keep the silver from tarnishing. I've avoided silver plate like the plague because I'd rather spend my time playing my horn than polishing it!

billwilk Today, 03:04 PM Go to last post

Re: Question about tip opening and reed size

In addition to agreeing with the posts above, let me add a piece of my own story for you to consider:

While I was in my 20s, I moved up to an alto sax Meyer 10M mouthpiece, whose 0.098" tip...

harmonizerNJ Today, 02:49 PM Go to last post