• Recent Articles

Neil Sharpe-

Consistent, High Levels Of Performance Under Pressure

A few years ago, I published a program on SOTW for stage fright and anxiety that has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times.

After publication, over the years, I received many questions about the emotional and psychological aspects of performing, especially why we can't perform consistently well every time, all the time.

The answer is "distractions".

Imagine a circle. When you compete and/or perform at your very best, the circle is 100 percent complete. However, when distractions get in your way (which includes "thinking", nerves, anxiety, and self-doubt), each distraction removes a slice of the circle until you are performing at only a fraction of your potential.

By far, the most serious distraction is that voice in your head that shows up at the worst possible time to comment on how you're doing, to worry about you making mistakes, wonder what people are thinking about you, and so on.

It doesn't have to be that way.

"Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition and Performance" is a program that can be accessed for free.

Categories: Education 
    Neil Sharpe 11-29-2015 05:30 PM Go to last post
  • Recent Activity Widget

Rico Royal Metalite Fans!

Thread Starter: Josh56,XXX

Hey all, I had gotten curious about why the metalites had been discontinued so I decided to write someone at Rico with some questions. Suprisingly, I got a rather fast response from them. Here was there response: "Hello Joshua, Thanks for the email. I appreciate the feedback and have...

Last Post By: Jazz Is All Yesterday, 01:25 PM Go to last post

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2015

Thread Starter: mrpeebee

Time for a new and fresh Beginners & Intermediates (B&I) thread for 2015 (continuing from >the last B&I 2014 page<). This thread is for all Beginner and Intermediate players who would like to share their progress and recordings. Posting your stuff is great, but commenting and discussing on other...

Last Post By: mrpeebee Today, 12:22 AM Go to last post

Merlin's Cruise ship gig thread

Thread Starter: Merlin

So, I'm in Messina, in a lovely little hotel overlooking the harbour. It's taken me close to 24 hours from the time I left Stratford to get here. Drive to YYZ, plane to Rome (if you can avoid Alitalia for international flights, do so, worst cabin video,and worst breakfast ever.) long layover in...

Last Post By: whaler 11-30-2015, 05:31 PM Go to last post

Mobile forum access (was Tapatalk)

Thread Starter: Nefertiti

I know the other thread was closed but my primary way of checking new threads and posts for the last couple years has been on my phone with Tapatalk. I go to my desktop to post long post and read more indepth but I check SOTW a lot on the run with Tapatalk. Is there anyway to turn it back on and...

Last Post By: djm0226 Today, 03:49 AM Go to last post
    blue82 coupe

Custom 82Z Club??

Thread Starter: blue82 coupe

Anyone up for starting The Custom 82Z Club?

Last Post By: jamiejazz 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM Go to last post
  • jasonjustice

There is no available content written by jasonjustice
  • Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

High Fly

Re: 10mfan Robusto HR vs. Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend vs. Morgan MLL vs. RPC rollover

Sorry you have be lectured in bold, large font. I find it amazing that this conversation has to be had over and over again. Of course,....yes of course, we ALL KNOW about the "what...

High Fly Today, 05:06 AM Go to last post

Re: SOTW new member introductions Jan. 2015-

I'm a high school alto saxplayer on a eastman 52nd street. I've been playing for 5 years and am a huge jazz head. I'm in the jazz band along with concert in my tiny 2a school in colorado.

jazzAlto Today, 05:00 AM Go to last post
    Michael Ward

Re: Next Sunday on BBC Radio 4

I just got back from the Play Back with Crew and Production team. A wonderful night. So much joy ,whoops and laughter from the cast. It was also great to hear all the detail in the music and...

Michael Ward Today, 04:52 AM Go to last post

Cool bare brass T880

A really nice-looking stripped and then chemically treated T880 is currently up on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301811787848?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I've been...

LostConn Today, 04:47 AM Go to last post
    Dave Dolson

Re: New Look to the forum!

The only problem I had was that the new "look" wouldn't expand in either direction on my iPad and iPhone. I went back to the original "look" and it expands - a feature I sometimes need to be precise...

Dave Dolson Today, 04:39 AM Go to last post