• Ten Albums That Made A Difference

Having checked through the threads and archives, I couldn't find this topic, so here goes.

What are the ten albums that made a difference for you as a player?

What where the albums that made you pick up a sax for the first time, took off the top of your head every time you heard it, and stays on your CD player to this day?

Here are mine (in no particular order).

-John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (Impulse)
    -Little Richard: Here’s Little Richard (Specialty Records SP 100) –Lee Allen, the king of Rock N’ Roll sax with incredible, hard driving solos to match the incendiary vocals of Little Richard
    -Red Prysock: Rock And Roll (LP Mercury 20088): includes the immortal solo Handclappin'
    -Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus (Prestige)
    -The Coasters: Greatest Hits (Atco LP 33-111 Stereo SD33-111 Vinyl)- King Curtis is featured on tenor, including his seminal solos on Yakety Yak and Charlie Brown
    -Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach: The Quintet: Jazz at Massey Hall (Fantasy/OJC)
    -Dave Brubeck: Time Out (Columbia)- Paul Desmond on alto. The first jazz album to sell over a million copies.
    -Stan Getz: Bossa Nova- with Antonio Carlos Jobim, and Astrud Gilberto (Uni/Verve)
    -Junior Walker & the All Stars: Live (LP Soul 725)
    -Joe Lovano Quartets: Live at the Village Vanguard (Blue Note 1994)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Ten Albums That Made A Difference started by Neil Sharpe View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Pete Thomas -
      Amazingly, almost half of those would also be mine.

My others would be

Ornette Coleman: Shape of jazz to Come
      Earl Bostic: Bostic Rocks
      Jimi Hendrix: Axis Bold as Love
      Jackie McLean: Long Drink of the Blues
      Mothers of Invention: Absolutely Free
      jamminjoe -
      I could easily accept that list,,
      maciagt -
      So who was Little Richard's sax man?
      Could possibly been George Howard? If so, I saw him the other week in a Lansing music shop.
      Jolimobley -
      The Reason I picked up the sax in the first place was because of a Steely Dan song called "Decan Blues". I recently had the honor of playing with Donald Fagan, which was a special moment for me as a player.

Steely Dan: AJA
      Hank Mobley: Soul Station
      Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
      Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
      Michael Brecker and Bob Mintzer: Twin Tenors
      Michael Brecker: Time is of the Essence
      Cannonball: Know What I Mean
      Bill Evans: Bill Evans Trio
      Freddy Hubbard: Red Clay
      Joe Henderson: Page One

Facebook comments

• Amazon ad

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Re: New Selmer (USA) neck on old Bundy bass clarinet

there are many people who want to upgrade their standard neck and prefer an angled position to the more customary and old fashioned straight design.

You can go from the very expensive custom neck...

milandro Today, 09:20 AM Go to last post

Re: Does anyone profusely sweat too?

I agree, if this happens only when you play saxophone, your body is probably showing the signs of something that is not the way it should be.

There is nothing, in itself, that should make playing...

milandro Today, 09:07 AM Go to last post
    DeNote Sax

Re: The Anti-Saxophone, Band Musical Mentality. I don't get it.

Gary, I've tried your 'sandbagging' trick and it works. Sometimes instead, I turn the volume knob on my Wi5 Pro receiver a little down initially and add a little more after sound check. It works for...

DeNote Sax Today, 08:47 AM Go to last post

Re: Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute - Time allocation..

If you want more information about Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute - Time allocation..please approach top thesis writing service. It is one of the online writing service.This service for students. This is...

kumararrrrr Today, 08:41 AM Go to last post

Re: Does anyone profusely sweat too?

adamk Today, 08:39 AM Go to last post
VigLink badge