PDA

View Full Version : New Saxophone CDs

Pages : [1] 2

Angel
02-19-2004, 10:38 PM
I've been noticing many new saxophone CD releases lately, and have not heard much about them. Anyone heard or have anything to say about the following recordings?

Rascher Saxophone Quartet "From Equinox to Solstice"

Debra Richtmeyer "Extravaganza"

Claude Delangle "Historic Saxophone"

Clifford Leaman (Leslie Bassett Concerto)

Apollo Saxophone Quartet "Words and Pictures"

OANegrin

Merlin
02-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks OANegrin - that's the first I've heard about any of those, except for the DeLangle disc. I'll be keeping my eyes open.

danielkcsax
02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
I have the Rascher Quartet CD as well as Debbie Richtmeyer's CD. I have not yet had a chance to give them a listen, as I have been preparing for a recital. I will try and listen to them this weekend and let everyone know what I think.

OANegrin, please check your mail regarding our trade. Thanks!

Daniel Cervantes

Angel
02-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Also, probably not officially released yet, but the New Century Saxophone Quartet is selling their new CD "J.S. Bach - The Art of Fugue". A new recording that plays in all CD players but designed for use in a Hybrid Super Audio system.

I have heard this one, and must say the performance is brilliant overall. After being coached by Stephen Preston, the world's pre-eminent baroque flautist and choreographer, the NCSQ plays Bach as if they are living in the 18th century. They create an approach to the saxophone that embraces baroque performance practice without having to mimic the sounds of period instruments.

Get this one. http://www.newcenturysax.com

OANegrin

singlereed
02-23-2004, 08:08 PM
The Apollo CD 'Words & Pictures' is not a new one, I think the reason for its title is that they collaborated with poet Lemn Sissay on that album, but it's 5 or more years old I think. Their latest one was Songs for Us which I know you have ;-) but they have been recording some new quartets written for them by Barbara Thompson, hopefully that will be out soon.

Isn't Debra Richtmeyer known for electronic saxophone playing? - at least I have only read of her in that context.

Angel
02-24-2004, 04:19 AM
Steve!

Prof. Richtmeyer is actually pretty well rounded. I know of recordings of her playing everything from baroque transcriptions to standard repertoire to the electronic thing. Even an avant-garde saxo/oboe duet which is pretty interesting.

Shoot me an email when you get a chance. Also let us know when/if Sarah Field will be releasing a CD.

OANegrin

selmer3man
02-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Debra Richtmeyer's new cd is excellent. Her soprano saxophone tone is so rich and dark that you swear that she is playing an oboe or english horn on the Strauss oboe transcription.

Delangle's new Historic Saxophone is also excellent. Some tremendous early pieces that are worthy of revisiting. It is truly amazing how beautiful he sounds on his 1900 Adolphe Sax alto. (Arno Bornkamp's album entirely played on an Adolphe Sax alto is also stunning).

badaj
02-26-2004, 03:54 AM
relatively new (2002) major league recording, major league performance, and major league pianist :

Charles Koechlin -- Le Saxophone Lumineux:Complete Works for saxophone and Piano

Federico Mondelci, alto and tenor

Kathryn Stott, piano (!!!)

Chandos 9803

did I mention major league pianist?

singlereed
03-04-2004, 06:56 PM
I also bought the Delangle album and lifted the listing below from the www.bis.se website. Its played on all the SATB saxes. The alto is a 1900 Adolphe Sax model with original wooden mouthpiece, the others are his usual Serie III and II. Unlike Bornkamp's CD which also includes some of this material, the piano is a modern Steinway rather than a vintage instrument so it is much brighter and clearer. Its very well recorded and some of the playing is sublime. The material itself is very dated and melodramatic, in almost all cases the pieces are a theme and variations. The sop and alto playing is superb but I am not as taken with Delangle as a tenor player. I think I may have come across some of this material on another CD by him, the sleeve notes say the material was recorded in 98 and 99 and I think at least one or two items are familiar but my collection is not well enough organised to check easily. For students of classical sax, this is an important CD, although I don't think there is much I'd actually want to play myself!

Historic Saxophone
Jules Demersseman: Fantaisie sur un thème original [alto saxophone]; Premier Solo (Andante et boléro) [tenor saxophone]; Deuxième Solo (Cavatine) [baritone saxophone]. Jérôme Savari: Fantaisie sur des motifs du Freischutz [alto saxophone]. Paul Agricol Genin: Variations sur un thème espagnol; Solo de concours du Conservatoire [alto saxophone]. Jean-Baptiste Singelée: Caprice [soprano saxophone]; Fantaisie [soprano saxophone]; Concerto [tenor saxophone]; Solo de Concert [baritone saxophone]. Joseph Arban: Caprice et variations [alto saxophone]. Léon Chic: Solo sur la Tyrolienne [alto saxophone]. Hyacinthe Klose: Daniel (Fantaisie dramatique d’après E. Depas) [alto saxophone]

Angel
03-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Two more!

Debra Richtmeyer performing "Dream Dancer" by Michael Colgrass with the U. of Illinois Wind Sympony CD _Dreams and Achievements_

Nobuya Sugawa performing the Henri Tomasi Concerto with the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra on their CD _Live in Chicago_ (this is a different recording than the one found on Sugawa's CD "Die Heldenzeit").

Both of these are available at http://www.markcustom.com.

OANegrin

Angel
03-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Singlereed,

I don't recall Delangle having released any of those selections prior to his "Historic Saxophone" CD.

However, saxophonists who have recorded much of the early repertoire found on that CD include Arno Bornkamp (on period instrument), Fabien Chouraki, and Daniel Gauthier, among others.

Please shoot me an email when you get a chance.

OANegrin

Angel
03-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Paul Brodie's new CD "Ambassador of the Saxophone"

Demersseman: Fantaisie sur un theme original
Debussy: Rapsodie
Gershwin: Three Preludes
Milhaud: Scaramouche
Bonneau: Caprice en forme de valse
Albinoni: Adagio
Villa-Lobos: Air, from Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5
Cimarosa: Concerto
Handel: Sonata No. 6 (on 'nino)
Saint-Saens: The Swan (on F alto)

http://www.encode.com/brodie

OANegrin

Angel
05-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Two new re-releases.......

John Harle plays Bennett, Heath, Denisov, Berkeley. On Clarinet Classics label. http://www.clarinetclassics.com. Re-release of his 1987 CD "John Harle's Saxophone".

Mario Marzi "Rapsodie Francaise". Re-release of his earlier CD "Scaramouche" (Desenclos, Ibert, Schmitt, Jolivet, Debussy, Francaix, Milhaud). Available at http://www.amazon.com.

OANegrin

singlereed
05-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Yes I got the 'new' Harle one without realising it was a reissue. Still, I didn't have the original so it's nice to have the material and it is a good disc. His website says he has another release lined up for later this year on Black Box (same label as Simon Haram) with his new sax quartet - John Harle, Simon Haram, Christian Forshaw, Andy Findon. Thats a good line-up, there are several Nyman Band/London Saxophonic alumni in there. Christian is now prof of saxophone at London Guildhall and took Stephen Cottrell's plae in Delta Sax Quartet. Andy Findon is also known in the profession as probably the loudest flute player alive.

Angel
06-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Just found these, not sure how new...

Jeremy Brown "In the Company of My Soul"
-Albright Sonata
-Gallois-Montbrun Six Pieces Musicales d'Etude
-Eagle Intonare
-Bell Animus
-Archer Sonata

Dominique Tassot "20th Century French Music for Saxophone"
-Tomasi Concerto
-Caplet Legende
-Absil Fantaisie-Caprice
-Constant Musique de Concert
-Debussy Rapsodie

Anyone own or hear these yet?

OANegrin

Angel
06-03-2004, 03:53 PM
New as of February 2004:

Harvey Pittel "Emerging and Celebrated Repertoire for Saxophone and Band, Volume III: La Linge - La Sonorite Tribute to Marcel Mule"

Bruch "Kol Nidrei"
Dahl "Concerto"
Williams "Theme from Schindler's List"

and another concerto that I can't seem to find the composer, no matter where I look.

OANegrin

Furtive Sax
06-05-2004, 06:26 AM
That other piece on the Pittel CD is "Concertino for Soprano Saxophone and Wind Ensemble" by HyeKyung Lee.

Angel
07-27-2004, 04:40 PM
The Rascher Saxophone Quartet appears on a new CD entitled "Dennis Russell Davies Performs Philip Glass" on the Orange Mountain label.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001IW3U6/ref=wl_it_dp/103-8379425-5913443?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2R9MK0J57NZGL&v=glance&colid=VETFE2SDO2YJ

The Rascher Quartet performs "Passages", which I believe is another concerto for saxophone quartet and orchestra, or possibly an orchestral work that features the saxophone quartet prominently.

I heard a few minutes of this, and was so impressed that I drove home and bought it immediately. Thanks to Dr. Paul Cohen for showing me this one.

OANegrin

Angel
07-27-2004, 04:59 PM
William Street's new CD "My Very First Solo"

-Werner Heider: Sonata in Jazz
-William Albright: Doo-Dah (with Paul Bro and Scotty Stepp)
-Jan Bach: My Very First Solo
-Edison Denisov: Sonata
-Piet Swerts: Klonos

Thanks to Tracers from classicsax.com for letting me listen for a bit.

OANegrin

Angel
12-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Two anxiously awaited upcoming CD's:

Claude Delangle will record on the BIS label "the great concertos of the repertoire" with the Symphonic Orchestra of Singapore. http://www.sax-delangle.com.

Rob Buckland will record concerti by Graham Fitkin, Michael Ball, and Martin Ellerby. http://www.robbuckland.com. http://www.fitkin.com.

Wow.

OANegrin

Angel
12-30-2004, 12:35 AM
New re-release:

Daniel Deffayet "Les Classiques du Saxophone" from the 1978 LP on the King label. F. Yamada on piano.

Listed on Amazon.com as "Appeal of Saxophone". A search for "Deffayet" should yield the result.

New release:

America's Millennium Tribute to Adolphe Sax Vol. VIII. This is the first of the new series being released this spring. Performances by George Wolfe, the Mosaic Saxo Quartet, and Joey Boyer. The premiere (I believe) recording of C. Scinto's "Earthshaker" can be found on this particular volume. Look for it this spring on http://www.aurec.com.

OANegrin

KSQ
12-31-2004, 06:13 AM
Daniel Deffayet "Les Classiques du Saxophone" from the 1978 LP on the King label. F. Yamada on piano.

Listed on Amazon.com as "Appeal of Saxophone". A search for "Deffayet" should yield the result.

Hey OANegrin --

How did you find this title? I tried searching both Amazon's and Tower's sites; all I came up with under "Deffayet" was the 3-disc EMI Le saxophone français set and a couple of different packagings of Delibes's Sylvia. When I searched under the title (at Amazon), it directed me to the Transcontinental Quartet's Mountain Roads CD (go figure). Got nothing under the title at Tower.

I used the most specific search parameters I could, i.e. the performer and title categories under the classical/opera search at Amazon, and the equivalent methods at Tower's site.

jaankaden
12-31-2004, 07:01 AM
tried searching amazon.co.uk? i found that there are certain differences within the product database between country specific websites, especially for more obscure products or products more catered to the european market.

Angel
12-31-2004, 08:05 AM
KSQ,

All apologies -- I forgot a step. Search for "Deffayet", then click on the link "popular music (1)". This will yield the re-released Deffayet CD. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002B58TA/qid%3D1104483829/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-5930799-0396107

Anyone having trouble with this, please email me.

OANegrin

KSQ
01-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the link, OANegrin; much appreciated.

Is that the old recording with the Pascal Sonatine, the Rueff Sonata, et al.? (As you're aware, the page doesn't give any contents info.)

I also just found it on Tower's site. How stupid is it that it only shows up if you don't search under classical?!?

Angel
01-01-2005, 04:36 PM
This one is NOT the Golden Crest LP with Rueff, Gallois-Montbrun, Boutry, and Pascal. This is a later LP containing all arrangements of baroque, classical, and romantic music arranged by Marcel Mule (his "Classiques du Saxophone" collection, hence the LP title).

A big reason why I started this thread many moons ago is because those muppets entering the CD infos at Tower and Amazon make finding these recordings into somewhat of an Olympic event for the customer... :x

OANegrin

selmer3man
01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Any word on the release of Delangle's Concerto cd with Singapore? I am also anxiously awaiting Tim McAllister's new cd, and the all-Albright cd by his quartet, PRISM. Also, has anyone heard the new EMI box set of Nobuya Sugawa's? I borrowed it recently, but don't own it. How do we get these in the States??

Angel
01-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Nobuya Sugawa's 3-CD set "Exhibition of Saxophone" is available at Amazon.com. A bit pricey, but worth it if you have gift cards to defray the cost....

OANegrin

JayLaczSax
01-10-2005, 02:38 AM
WOW, do I need that Sugawa CD set. I may place an order for it tomorrow! That is a def. MUST HAVE!

Steve P
01-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Yes, the Sugawa set is good. Though, its not my favorite recording of him. Theres just something missing from it. Maybe its his sound on this one, not quite like his others.

However, great music on those, and still worth it.

Best

Steve P

Rackety Sax
03-11-2005, 02:22 AM
This isn't a new CD, but it's pretty much newly available after a long interval: the 1995 Coronet CD reissue of the two Rascher Saxophone Ensemble LPs from the mid 1970s. You can get it at CDBaby (cheaper) or Tower (more expensive):

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/srse

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3218289

- Glenn

singlereed
03-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Got the new Apollo Saxophone Quartet CD of Portuguese composers called 'Short Cuts'. Absolutely stunning playing, though some of the pieces themselves will nevcer become classics. Very avant garde, lots of minimalist and atonal stuff on there and well worth a listen to hear some jaw-dropping playing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00070DL5E/qid=1110871501/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/026-3964820-3972410

It apears that their own website has not been updated with this. You wouldn't have heard of any of the pieces as they have all been especially commissioned.

Tracers
04-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Mr. Negrin,

What is the date and location of the Sugawa performance of the Tomasi? My curiosity is piqued. Have a swell day!

Tracers

Tracers
04-17-2005, 12:55 AM
(after reading all of the other posts)

You're welcome Mr. Negrin. As for the "In the Company of My Soul" (Brown/Foreman), it is not too shabby.

Tr.

Angel
04-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Hi Tracers. Here is the amazon.com link for the live Sugawa recording of Tomasi w/ Tokyo Kosei Wind Orch:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00028ATXS/qid=1113873133/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl15/103-1815122-4997419?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846

The year was 2003.

See you soon!

OANegrin

Tracers
04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the info. I was at the concert that featured the Tomasi in question. It was a good concert, and am glad they recorded it.

Have a good one.

Tr.

fabiend
04-21-2005, 07:01 PM
hello!

do anybody know a place to buy nobuya sugawa's cds at an affordable price
especially those of sax and piano duet and the three cds piece.

i haven't found any webshop at 20-->30 $ cd,
it's more like 40-->70 one
without shipping

excuse me but if you can send adress where a continental person can read it will be really nice.

thank you
take care
peace

fabien

singlereed
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
I have searched high and low and have been unable to find them for sale at ANY price. Its ridiculous, he's one of the best players int he world and has also made some of the best recordings. I even contacted the Japanese record label and they just replied to say that they were not available in Europe (where I live). Shameful missed opportunity.

Rick
04-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Does anyone have any information on the cd 'Music for Saxophone'?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000006DFI/qid=1114808558/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-1855297-5574222?v=glance&s=classical

Thanks,

Rick

Rick
04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
I forgot one more thing; does anyone know where I can get Memories of Dinant by Otis Murphy? I've tried prowinds and riax but it seems that its not available. Thanks again,

Rick

Angel
04-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Rick,

Your Amazon.com link was for the 3-CD box set "Le Saxophone Francais" which features re-released LP recordings of Londeix, Mule, and the Deffayet Quartet. Londeix performs Creston, Debussy, Jolivet, Hindemith, Denisov, Noda et al; Mule performs Ibert, Pierne et al; Deffayet Quartet performs standard mid-20th century French repertoire. If you would like a full track list, email me.

You can probably get "Memories of Dinant" cheapest directly from Otis Murphy. His email address can be found if you follow music department links from http://www.indiana.edu.

You could get it from Dorn if the $3 markup is worth paying in order to definitely own the CD.

OANegrin

Rick
07-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Off of Crystal Records, "Pas de Trois".

Kenneth Tse, soprano and alto saxophones
Benjamin Coelho, bassoon
Alan Huckleberry, piano

Trio Giocoso — Jindrich Feld
Louder than Words— Don Freund
Pas de trois — Bernard van Beurden
Noir—Perry Goldstein
Arirang Variations — David Froom

Ricardo

KSQ
07-28-2005, 05:03 AM
A recording of composer David Liptak's Serenade for alto saxophone and strings has just been released by Bridge Records. The saxophonist is Chien-Kwan Lin, who teaches at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY.

Here are some links to various sites where you can read more about the recording, listen to samples, order the disc, etc.

http://www.bridgerecords.com/9167.htm

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3276916

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009Y26LI/

Steve P
07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Kenneth Tse - Lyric Soprano.

one word: Awesome.

Le Api, a favorite of mine... all done with Circular Breathing

Definately worth checking out.

Steve P

KSQ
11-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Clifford Leaman (sax prof at U of South Carolina) has a new disc out called Illuminations. I've had it for almost two months, but waited to post because I wanted to be able to include a link.

www.equilibri.com/recordings/rec_77.eq

As of last night, I still couldn't find it on Tower's or Amazon's sites. Sorry that this link doesn't give you much info (not even the names of the composers!), but at least you can see the cover, and order it if you want.

(For the record, the composers are, in order of appearance: James Matheson, Reginald Bain, John Fitz Rogers, Stacy Garrop, and Benjamin Boone.)

I've really enjoyed this disc. Great playing, and unusually strong repertoire -- especially for a disc full of "untested" pieces (only one piece was written prior to 2000). Definitely work checking out.

Angel
11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I'll be on the lookout for that Leaman CD..... I'm assuming the Fitz Rogers is "A Savage Calculus". What an exciting work!

Anyway, I've come across a couple of new CDs recently:

Daniel Gauthier "Spirito Latino"
-Francois Borne: Fantaisie Brillante sur des airs de Carmen
-Manuel de Falla: Siete Canciones populares Espanolas
-Claude Debussy: Rapsodie
-Georges Bizet: Spanish Serenade
-Enrique Granados: Intermezzo from Goyescas
-Christian Guilloneau: Bal pour Baptiste
-Darius Milhaud: Scaramouche
-Vadim Neselovskyi: San Felio

Julien Petit "Escapada"
-Villa-Lobos Fantasia
-other miniatures by de Falla, Albeniz, Millet.

KSQ
11-09-2005, 03:31 AM
I'll be on the lookout for that Leaman CD..... I'm assuming the Fitz Rogers is "A Savage Calculus". What an exciting work!

Yes, the Rogers ("Fitz" is his middle name) is indeed A Savage Calculus.

Before anyone asks about the other pieces, here is the full contents list for the CD (Equilibrium Records, no. EQ 77):

James Matheson: Pull (1995)

Reginald Bain: Illuminations (2004)

John Fitz Rogers: A Savage Calculus (2001)

Stacy Garrop: Tantrum (2000)

Benjamin Boone: PsychoTherapy (2000/2004)

Steve P
11-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Ooo Tantrum. Thats a wakeboard trick Im always trying...

Looks like a good CD though. Ill be on the lookout for this one.

Steve P

KSQ
11-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Ooo Tantrum. Thats a wakeboard trick Im always trying...
Huh?

Another new one:

Third Rail Saxophone Quartet, Danger.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/thirdrailsax

The quartet is comprised of members of the "President's Own" Marine Band. Among the composers represented is Lior Navok, who has also written a work for alto and piano, available here. (http://liornavok.com/cd)

Rick
11-12-2005, 06:22 AM
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jean-yves.fourmeau/Discographie%20angl%20sax%20et%20orchest.htm

Claude Debussy: Formeau playing the Debussy Rapsodie
Haven't even been able to find it in Japan :(. The clip sounds good though!

Yes, the Sugawa set is good. Though, its not my favorite recording of him. Theres just something missing from it. Maybe its his sound on this one, not quite like his others.

However, great music on those, and still worth it.

Best

Steve P

I'm a big Sugawa fan. I enjoyed the set and was wondering which recordings of his you think are the best.

Ricardo

Steve P
11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi :)

So, regarding my tantrum comment, its a very difficult wakeboard (think snowboard on water) trick, involving some high flying acrobatics and rotations.... Not very sax related im afraid...

Sugawa, now here is a man who can play. I think my favorite recordings oh his are Cafe 1930, and Nostalgia... Mostly because they are 'different'. He is a fantastic player in my eyes. Its also interesting that he has never studies saxophone outside Japan...

Steve P

KSQ
11-13-2005, 03:12 AM
regarding my tantrum comment, its a very difficult wakeboard (think snowboard on water) trick
Ah -- thanks for the explanation. "Wakeboard" is a word I'd never heard before. Not sure whether that's a function of my geographical location or my age...

Michigansax
11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
I just recieved Daniel Gauthier's Spirito Latino today. All I can say is "WOW!!" I especially love the arrangment of the Carmen Fantaisie. Well, I guess it's just transposing the piano part cause the sax part is the same written notes as the flute (as it was originally done). Anyways, I just ordered the music and hope to put it on a recital soon.

Rick
12-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Arno Bornkamp: Metropolis Berlin 1925-1933

* Schulhoff - Hot Sonata (1930)
* Hindemith - Trio (1927-1928) for tenor saxophone, viola and piano
* Hindemith - Konzertstucke fur Zwei Altsaxophone (1933)
* Busch - Quintett (1927-1928) for alto saxophone and string quartet
* Weill - Suite "Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahogonny" (1927) for alto saxophone, string quartet and piano

http://shop.classicsax.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpnrlrpse

Angel
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Wow, that looks like a fun CD.

Anyway, I just received Julien Petit's "La Escapada" CD in the mail a few days ago; had a chance to listen to a bit of it today. An exceptional player along the lines of Vincent David, Christian Wirth, and other young exciting French players of today. One of the best recordings of the Villa-Lobos (albeit with piano) can be found on this CD.

Angel

Steve P
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Julien is a fine player. He played the Crepin 'Tribute to Sax' at WSCXIII, and it was a great performance. I emjoy his sound, as it follows very closely to Crepin's own personal sound, as well as that of Vincent David. i will have to get this new CD of his.

It is also worthy to note he makes a living playing the saxophone. He is, at last I heard, one of few who are just freelance artists.

Thanks for the heads up Angel!

Steve P

drakesaxprof
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Based on Rick's recommendation, I just received Arno's Metropolis Berlin 1925-1933 recording, and it is dynamite. Powerful and engaging interpretations, as usual, but as with a prior recording of his, and now several of Delangle's, a wonderful (and wholly appropriate) use of "period" instruments and mouthpieces. Highly recommended!

Angel
12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Timothy McAllister's new CD "In Transit" is now available. Here are the details in an excerpt of an email from Prof. McAllister:

"My cd, In Transit, is now available directly from Innova Records at
www.innova.mu. The release page is not yet up, but Philip Blackburn at
innova will begin filling orders as he receives them. The catalog number
is 652. The actual street release date isn't until April 11, so this is
quite an early pre-release offer. Please tell all of your friends and
disc. group folk! (You did say you wanted to be the first to know...)
The rep is Etezady Streetlegal, Albright Sonata, Wanamaker Sonata deus sax machina, Babbitt Accompanied Recitative and Zupko In Transit. Kathryn Goodson, piano."

For those of you who have not heard McAllister with pianist Kathryn Goodson, they are one of the more exciting duos I have ever seen perform live. Flawless technique and highly artistic interpretation, from subtle sensitivity to exciting pyrotechnics. The Etezady is one of the few brilliant recital works for soprano saxophone.

I've already ordered mine; just wanted to give the usual heads-up.

Angel

Michigansax
12-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up Angel. I just ordered mine. FYI, Zupko's piece "In Transit" can be ordered directly from him. I got mine a couple months ago. It is a BI*CH! His email is mzupko@sbcglobal.net.

selmer3man
12-31-2005, 05:18 AM
wow, that's great. thanks for the info, Angel. I'll get my order in. There are excerpts from mcallister's new cd on his website under 'discography' and they definitely are great teasers!
I heard them play the zupko piece live, and, yes, Michigansax is right.

selmer3man
12-31-2005, 05:18 AM
wow, that's great. thanks for the info, Angel. I'll get my order in. There are excerpts from mcallister's new cd on his website under 'discography' and they definitely are great teasers!
I heard them play the zupko piece live, and, yes, Michigansax is right.

Andy Findon
01-09-2006, 01:10 AM
"Andy Findon -Tracked" http://www.quartzmusic.com/cd/QTZ2029.htm

With the help of a few friends and family, I've put together 19 tracks, several featuring saxes. in particular a Vivaldi Bassoon concerto on the Baritone and my arrangement of Clair de Lune for Altos and Baritone choir.

Maybe check out a few samples and discover there's more to me than just being the "loudest flute player alive"!

Harri Rautiainen
01-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Welcome on board, Andy:

Wow, this is quite an album for a woodwind connoisseur.
Your CV and album list are impressive, too.

Instruments played by Andy Findon

Piccolo – Rudall Carte (wooden)
Flute – Yamaha 894W (wooden)
Alto Flute – Rudall Carte (Flutemakers of Australia headjoint)
Bass Flute – Monnig (lip plate by Brian Clover)
Contra Bass Flute – Kotato & Fukishima
Clarinet – Buffet RC
Bass Clarinet - Selmer
Soprano Saxophone – Selmer Mk6
Alto Saxophone – Selmer S80
Tenor Saxophone – Selmer S80
Baritone Saxophone – Selmer Mk6
Treble & Tenor Recorders – Schneider
Bass Recorder - Yamaha
Chinese Flutes – Ray Mann
Bamboo/Indian Flutes – Bina
Irish Whistles – Chris Abell
Folk Flutes – Ralph Sweet
Ocarinas – Langley
Pan Pipes – various

Angel
01-16-2006, 04:56 PM
That looks like a very interesting CD. I'll keep an eye out for it.

In the meantime, here is a link for the new recording of the Rascher Saxophone Quartet with Paul Hillier and the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B66OQ2/ref=wl_it_dp/002-6315184-2325631?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=VETFE2SDO2YJ&coliid=IJOTKT244KIJ0&v=glance&n=5174

Anyone heard this one yet?

Angel

classysax
01-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Great info

Michigansax
01-17-2006, 12:24 AM
I got McAllister's new CD a few days ago. The CD opens with a soprano sax piece by Roshanne Etezady called Streetlegal where he flexes his soprano altissimo chops. Very intense. Next, is one of the greatest Sonatas that the saxophone has: Albright. I personally found the third movement a little loud and the Mad Dance a little under tempo. Still very precise and in tune. Babbitt's Accompanied Recitative is a great serialist piece that sounds very hard ensemble-wise. Not overly difficult sounding but very musical. Wanamaker's Sonata deus sax machina is just anawesome piece. The first movement is very virtuosic at times and requires total command of the altissmo register and McAllister just plasters it to the wall. Quite impressive. It's also a study in slap tonguing which is also perfectly executed. Mischa Zupko's In Transit completes the disc. This five movement sonata will become a standard once it gets more play. The second movement "Mango Cafe" looks like a nightmare with all of its mixed meter and a tempo marking of quarter = 230. Overall it's a gorgeous piece. And don't forget about Kathryn Goodson, the pianist on the disc, who is a wolrd class pianist and also accompanies Don Sinta. She is top notch. Hope this helps.

Angel
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I agree w/ Michigansax as to the quality of McAllister's new CD which I have just received as well. Definitely one of the best in my collection of around 1000 concert saxo cds. The Etezady is easily one of the few stunning recital works for soprano saxophone.

I have also come across Michael Ibrahim's new CD of Bach transcriptions. It is available at CDBaby.com.

Angel

Steve P
01-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Ibrahim's new CD is very nice. Particularly the Violin Concerto. He has a great sound, and technique. Im not sure I agree with some of his choices on the Cello Suite, musically speaking, or on the partita, but overall its a great CD! Highly recommended~

Steve P

singlereed
01-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Dear Andy Findon - re the 'loudest flute player alive' moniker, I was told that by one of your eminent colleagues from up North, let's just say his initials are 'RB' :D

Honoured to have your presence!

drakesaxprof
01-19-2006, 10:20 PM
my collection of around 1000 concert saxo cds.
Angel Any chance of scoring the Rivier Tpt/Alto Concerto from your impressive library of recordings, Angel?
Very best regards,
JR

Angel
01-31-2006, 06:56 PM
New CD release of Al Gallodoro's old LPs "Saxophone Contrasts" and "For Your Listening Pleasure". Now on one CD, available at http://www.algallodoro.com. All light music, but some of the most exciting saxophone playing ever recorded.

Angel

Angel
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
New CD available directly from Thomas Liley at the North American Saxophone Alliance (http://www.saxalliance.org).

THE SAXOPHONE CRAZE (Early 20th century north american concert saxophonists)

Restored recordings of Jean Moeremans, H. Benne Henton, Six Brown Brothers, Wheeler Wadsworth, Rudy Wiedoeft, Clyde Doerr, and the Merle Johnston Quartet (incl Arnold Brilhart).

It is very interesting, aurally tracing the lineage back from Donald Sinta to Larry Teal to Merle Johnston in terms of saxophone tone and vibrato. Very, very similar from generation to generation. Maybe that's what I like so much about Mr. Sinta - he's old school!

Angel

Michigansax
02-23-2006, 01:47 PM
There is a new CD out of a live performance that Don Sinta did at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) conference last year. He did the Charles R. Young concerto with the Abilene Christian University Wind Ensemble. Not exactly the Dahl concerto but it is a really fun piece. It definately showcases that Sinta sound unmatched by any other. It is available through Mark Custom Recordings (www.markcustom.com). Check it out!!!

Angel
02-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Is this the recording that Dr. Young sends out with the sheet music for the concerto, or is this a different one?

Angel

Michigansax
02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Not sure. Probably a different one.

VaudvilleSax
02-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Angel,

I looked around on the saxalliance website and could not find any information about THE SAXOPHONE CRAZE. Is there an order form for this cd, or do I need to contact Thomas Liley by email about purchasing this?

Thanks

Angel
02-25-2006, 12:46 AM
For some reason, it is not on the website. Contact Tom Liley; I got mine from him. $15, I believe. I think it's worth it.

Angel

KenK
03-01-2006, 05:30 AM
This CD may not be that new, but I just listened to "Shades of Bach" by Janos Vazsonyi. Most of the CD is solo alto, but the first selection is The Musical Offering, BWV 1079, featuring a duet of alto and sopranino, and the tone is remarkable, not at all what you might expect of the sopranino.

VaudvilleSax
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
thx Angel :line0: :line1: :line2: :space3: :line2: :line1: :line0: :D

Angel
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Saxophonist Raaf Hekkema's CD of the complete Paganini Caprices, Op. 1, for violin. On the MDG label (same as Daniel Gauthier's new CDs), apparently released very recently.

Done on alto and soprano, Hekkema's performance of the Paganini Caprices includes well-voiced multiphonics, extremely high altissimo, agile slap-tongue, and a fluency with these techniques which I don't believe is surpassed by anyone. The tone is a bit bright, but Hekkema moves from the lowest register to the highest altissimo with relative ease and lightning quickness, and the articulation is always light and rapid.

http://www.raafhekkema.com.

Everyone should hear this.

Angel

Rick
03-17-2006, 04:08 AM
Amazing! I've been working on these myself every now and then and was waiting for someone to release something like this. It seems the caprices are arr. by him and not the ones in the Delangle series.

j44breaker
03-17-2006, 04:23 AM
That Hekkema is awesome! Thanks Angel...

Rackety Sax
03-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Hemke's new CD "Simple Gifts" is out. Info at his website: http://www.fredericklhemke.com/home.htm

There's a second one in the pipeline called "The American Saxophonist".

If I'm reading his discography (http://www.fredericklhemke.com/biography.htm) (scroll to bottom of page) correctly this is his first solo release in more than 20 years.

Also interesting that one of his LPs in the 1970s was "The American Saxophone" and the new CD will be "The American Saxophonist". I thought he was French school. ;)

Rick
03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Saxophonist Raaf Hekkema's CD of the complete Paganini Caprices, Op. 1, for violin. On the MDG label (same as Daniel Gauthier's new CDs), apparently released very recently.

Done on alto and soprano, Hekkema's performance of the Paganini Caprices includes well-voiced multiphonics, extremely high altissimo, agile slap-tongue, and a fluency with these techniques which I don't believe is surpassed by anyone. The tone is a bit bright, but Hekkema moves from the lowest register to the highest altissimo with relative ease and lightning quickness, and the articulation is always light and rapid.

http://www.raafhekkema.com.

Everyone should hear this.

Angel

For those of you who have been having problems ordering directly from Mr. Hekkema, I just ordered mine from hmv(hk) http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/classical.asp?sku=631508 for $23 with shipping.

Michigansax
04-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I just got the Alliage Quartet's CD Una Voce Poco Fa: Opera Paraphrases for 4 Saxophones and Piano. The operas represented on this CD are Carmen (Bizet), Barber of Seville (Rossini), Tosca (Puccini), Porgy and Bess (Gershwin), and The Magic Flute (Mozart). This CD is absolutley stunning. The Mozart is just unbelievable. The quartet is led by Daniel Gauthier who is quickly becoming one of my favorite classical sax players. If you like opera the slightest little bit...GET THIS CD!!! If you hate opera...GET THIS CD...you'll still like it. It is available through amazon.com for a good price.

Angel
04-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Even if you've never even heard of opera before and you have no intention of ever using the word in a sentence, GET THIS CD.

I would put Gauthier near the top of my list of contemporary artists, regardless of instrument. This guy is a truly dynamic force, and I would love to see him perform.

Angel

JMac
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
For those of you who have been having problems ordering directly from Mr. Hekkema, I just ordered mine from hmv(hk) http://www.hmv.com.hk/product/classical.asp?sku=631508 for $23 with shipping.Mr. Hekkema signed up for paypal on 3/22 so that I could order this cd. He does only subscribe to the level that does not acept credit card funded transactions.

I must say that he is a very gracious person to deal with and would highly recommend adding a copy of this disc to your library - no matter what source you choose for your purchase.

I also enjoy the Andy Findon cd, and was happy to see it get a good review in the most recent volume of 'Saxophone Journal'.

Thank you all for this thread and the favorite classical recording thread. Both have expanded my horizons....

Angel
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Brian Trittin's new CD "Contest Music for Alto Saxophone"

Paul Bonneau Suite
Wolfgang Jacobi Sonata
Bernhard Heiden Diversion
Emile Paladilhe Concertante
Handel Sonata No. 3
Frederick Koch Three Latin Moods
Rossini Bologna Variations

Very inexpensive on eBay.

Angel

TMadness1013
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
David Wright's new CD: At Dawning

David Wright: Alto saxophone
Steven Harlos: Piano

Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano - David Williams (dedicated to David Wright)

Sonatina for Alto Saxophone and Piano - Walter S. Hartley (dedicated to David Wright)

Vindellia Stonkie Tu-bong' - Scott Green

Lament - Chris Tilley (dedicated to David Wright)

Djiwa - Laurence Wyman

Hot Sonate - Erwin Schulhoff

At Dawning (I Love You) - Charles Wakefield Cadman

Great CD of a lot of new works, some works that have not been performed much, and some standards. Very impressive audio quality. Scott Green's Vindellia Stonkie Tu-bong' is a very unique and fun piece (the composer also is a saxophonist)

You can order it and listen to 2:00 sound clips of all tracks at:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/davidwrightmusic

Rick
05-03-2006, 04:45 AM
These have been out for a while but worth posting for anyone who doesn't know about them.

Christy Springer, saxophone performing the complete Ferling etudes
http://www.ferlingetudes.com/

And Roy Allen also performing the complete Ferling etudes
http://www.dws.org/ferling/

Angel
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
David Wright is a wonderful player. Last year, I was fortunate enough to substitute on soprano for Dr. Wright's Traverser Saxophone Quartet. He is a very sensitive and versatile musician.

I'll be picking up that CD soon.

Angel

wvsaxman
05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words!! I hope you all enjoy the CD!!

David Wright

www.davidwrightsaxophone.com

Rick
05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
New CD by Jean-Yves Fourmeau's quartet.

Le bal Thierry escaish
Pictures at an exhibition Modest Moussorgsky
The threepenny opera Kurt Weill

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jean-yves.fourmeau/Discographie%20angl%20sax%20quartet.htm

jazfyrski
06-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Just discovered that Arizona University Recordings is offering a discounted pre-order price for Otis and Haruko Murphy's latest release "Fantasy".

http://www.aurec.com/fantasy.htm

And now if I could just get a copy of his "Memories of Dinant" CD...

Angel
06-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, Jazfyrski. Just ordered mine.

A tip from BKauth via email:

Dear Friends,

Here is the newly-released recording of USM's
Sax-Chamber Orchestra, Parabolically Bach. If you or
your students are interested in purchasing it, you may
do so through the attached link (http://www.romeorecords.com/pages/RomeoRecords-7251.htm) to Romeo Records. It is a great recording, and a worthy addition to the
growing body of saxophone recordings.

Best wishes to all,
Brian

Rackety Sax
06-03-2006, 07:54 PM
My absolute best regards to DWoz5000, the man who out-Sinta'd Sinta!
Care to fill us in????

Steve P
06-04-2006, 01:37 AM
yea, I was wondering the same thing!

Whats the deal, Angel?

Steve P

Noah Madison
06-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Just to speak for Angel, the story goes, which I was there for, Dwoz played Walter Hartley's Concerto for Alto Sax and Band with the Fredonia Wind Ensemble as a result of winning our concerto competition. Afterwords, there was a reception where Dr. Hartley told Dwoz that he played the piece better then Sinta did. (Obviously that is objective, but DWoz did however, rock the house)

Sinta has a stlye of flashyness and bravado (in a good way) that we in Fredonia associated with a unique Sinata sound, hence "He out Sinta'd Sinata."

If I left anything out, DWoz, please correct me.

Angel
06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Noah definitely explained it better than I would.

The whole 'out-Sinta'd' thing was a small joke that was shared with me by DWoz, Walter Hartley, and the Fredonia boys last summer in Louisville. I didn't take it too seriously until I heard DWoz perform part of the Albright Sonata very artistically a day or two after the comment.

I didn't want DWoz5000 to think I was making fun of him, so I included "my very best regards".

Angel

Steve P
06-14-2006, 02:16 AM
Hello all,
New CD my Kenneth Tse: Pas de Toirs

This CD is incredible. It is an outstanding representation of Saxophone, Bassoon, and Piano. This combination of instruments is really unique and yeilds some beautiful sounds and sonorities. Kenneth's playing has the tonal color and beauty, and the technical mastery that we have all come to expect from a player like him. Benjamin Coelho's Bassoon playing is wonderful as well. He has a wonderfully full sound, and impeccible intonation.

The trio is obviously very comfortable with eachother, and it shows through the music. This CD is definately worth checking out! www.kenneth-tse.com

Steve P

Steve P
06-14-2006, 02:17 AM
EDIT: CD title is

'Pas de Trois'

Sorry.

Steve P

Angel
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Not sure what happened, but to recap the two most recent additions to this thread:

Otis Murphy's new CD "Fantasy"
- Borne "Carmen Fantasy"
- Saint-Saens "The Swan"
- Tomasi "Ballade"
- Bozza "Aria"
- Maslanka "Sonata"

Alliage Quartett new CD "A La Recherche Du Reve Perdu"
- Mendelssohn "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- Schumann "Piano Quintet"
with pianist Jang Eun Bae

Daniel Gauthier's Alliage Quartett is a new and exciting ensemble, that, for some reason is only recording transcriptions and fantasies. However, the ensemble is absolutely top-of-the-heap, with Gauthier leading the way on soprano. There's nothing this man can't do.

Angel

Angel
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Just came out:

Luciano Berio Sequenzas I-XIV

Includes saxophonist Wallace Halladay performing both IXb and VIIb. On the Naxos label, 3-CD set. Much more affordable than the previous (almost) complete Berio set.

Angel

Angel
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Also just came out on the NAXOS label:

Nicolas Flagello "Piano Concerto No. 1; Dante's Farewell; Concerto Sinfonico"

Forum member Paul Cohen's New Hudson Saxophone Quartet appears on this CD performing the Concerto Sinfonico. With the quality of the ensemble, and the unbeatable price, there's no reason why this CD should not be acquired by every saxophonist.

Angel

Angel
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry to keep on beating this thread, but today new stuff keeps finding me.

The incredible Quatuor Habanera's new release "L'Engrenage" with clarinetist/saxophonist Louis Sclavis. On the Alpha label.

Music of:

Markeas
Sclavis
Merah
Berlaud
Bord
Levy
Vodenitcharov

I just ordered it. I love these guys. Such tasteful and sensitive playing is rarely heard.

Angel

Angel
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Anyone receive the latest NASA update?

According to NASA, Tim McAllister will record the Ibert Concertino da camera with the Hot Springs Festival Orchestra for a release on the NAXOS label soon.

Also, Brian Sacawa's new CD "American Voices" (check out http://www.briansacawa.com) has been picked up by the Innova label (same as McAllister's new CD). Hopefully we'll see this one out within a year.

Anyone who hasn't heard Brian, go to his website immediately. He's nothing short of astounding.

Angel

Angel
07-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Nobuya Sugawa appears on new CD "Esse in Anima - Concerto Works of Akira Nishimura".

On this CD, Sugawa performs Nishimura's Concerto "Esse in Anima" for saxophone and orchestra.

Label is Camerata. Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Angel

Angel
08-20-2006, 05:40 AM
The Concert-Artists-Guild-winning Amstel Saxophone Quartet has a new CD out called "1 Gram of Time":

Tristan Keuris - Kwartet
Camille Kerger - Schneelicht - bebend weiss*
Franco Donatoni - Rasch
Hugues Dufourt - Quatuor de Saxophones
Iannis Xenakis - Xas
Marijn Simons - L'espoir*
Merlijn Twaalfhoven - 1 Gram of Time*
Ian Wilson - Atlantica*

(* = written for Amstel SQ)

These guys are awesome. Head to http://www.amstelquartet.nl and check them out.

Angel

A.Smith
08-31-2006, 01:25 AM
More in the soon to be released catergory are the debut solo cd's from Vincent David and Christian Wirth.
From what I've heard Christian's cd is mainly transcriptions, including the Prokofiev flute sonata, Britten and Bartok.
Vinvent's will be very contemporary and include the Boulez Dialogue.

Steve P
08-31-2006, 01:39 AM
Funny... Just this summer Vincent said he has not recorded yet because he felt he was 'not good enough yet'.

Steve P

Angel
08-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Steve P, Vincent said the exact same thing to me back in January, even though I know of some recordings that he has done, including a demo CD. Something fishy......

A Christian Wirth solo CD would be a very welcome addition to my collection. He's the bomb.

Angel

Rick
08-31-2006, 06:13 AM
This is something I also heard. But if he believes he is not good enough to record then no one should record because he is one of the best saxophonists of all time! I think this is just an act of humility. I hope this recording will follow through for David and that he continues recording material.

prodigal
08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Just visited their website - these guys are good!

http://www.amstelquartet.nl

I would second Angel's recommendation to check them out. There are some outstanding clips posted right on the home page.

Angel
10-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Ties Mellema just released a new solo CD titled "Grab It!" on the Amstel Records label. He is also the bari player for the wonderful Amstel Saxophone Quartet.

Anyway, here is the repertoire on his new CD:
Philip Glass- Four Melodies for alto saxo solo
Jakob ter Veldhuis- Billie for alto saxo and ghetto blaster
Christian Lauba- Balafon for alto saxo solo
Veldhuis- Garden of Love for soprano saxo and ghetto blaster
Glass- Gradus for soprano saxo solo
Mark Anthony Turnage- Two Memorials for soprano saxo solo
Veldhuis- Grab It! for tenor saxo and ghetto blaster

Available at http://www.tiesmellema.nl

I just ordered this and can't wait for it to come in. Garden of Love is one of my favorite pieces for saxophone, and the whole CD looks great.

Angel

Angel
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Arno Bornkamp will be releasing a new CD of the works commissioned by Elise Hall for saxo and orchestra. Should be soon.

Angel

A.Smith
10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I have a copy of Arno's new CD with the Elise Hall works with orchestra and I'm a big fan. Don't know if it has been officially released yet, but it's done by Ottavo, the same label as his Metropolis CD. Catalogue number OTR C30589.

J.Max
10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Naxos is just kicking *** in every way possible with those releases...they've come a long way since they were the budget label that employed East German orchestras to save money...

Rackety Sax
10-21-2006, 08:09 PM
This isn't new, but for a while this reissue seemed kind of scarce and expensive, now it's cheap (about $11 bucks for a double CD) and readily available (Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Rarities-Manuel-Rosenthal/dp/B00011RUKG/sr=8-1/qid=1161461082/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5063010-8859105?ie=UTF8)).

It's "Les Rarissimmes de Manuel Rosenthal" and includes the Ibert and Debussy that Mule recorded and released on a Capitol 10" back in the 50s. If you are interested I advise grabbing it, I doubt that you will get any better deal on this item.

Angel
10-22-2006, 06:29 AM
YES!

I grabbed this when it was first available. That 10" LP was a good one, and very rare. The CD sounds good, and I recommend picking one up.

It is always interesting to me to use one piece and compare recordings of multiple players from one school in order to find trends. One of my favorite examples is listening to Mule (from this particular recording), Deffayet, Londeix, and Delangle performing the Debussy Rapsodie with orchestra. What elegant refined playing that becomes increasingly moreso as we listen down through the generations of that school.

Angel

Rackety Sax
10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
This one will be of interest to at least one SOTW regular, I believe - though you've probably already got it, Angel. ;)

Fernande Decruck Musique pour saxophone alto et piano JEAN PIERRE BARAGLIOLI SAXOPHONE ALTO ET FLORESTAN BOUTIN PIANO (http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=1788590&Mn=1&Mu=-13&Ra=-29&To=0&Nu=1&Fr=0)

LoLa
10-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I am listening to Parabolically Bach right now

The Brandenburg Concertos stick in brain radio; 'Oh Sacred Head Surrounded' rocks even when it isn't Lent

http://www.usm.edu/music/studios_ensembles/saxstudio/index.php

that SCO group portrait is just so in modo bello baroque

openmind
10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
In Transit, came out on April 11th, absolutly the best recording of the Albright to date. Timothy McAllister is truly amazing. Definitly get a copy.

J.Max
10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
It is always interesting to me to use one piece and compare recordings of multiple players from one school in order to find trends. One of my favorite examples is listening to Mule (from this particular recording), Deffayet, Londeix, and Delangle performing the Debussy Rapsodie with orchestra. What elegant refined playing that becomes increasingly moreso as we listen down through the generations of that school.

Not only that, but you can compare players of different schools to see how they evolved...It's interesting to listen to say, Rascher and Mule play the Ibert, then to listen to Rousseau and, say, John-Edward Kelly...and so on and so forth. I did this not too long ago, and it's interesting that there are certain stylistic things that have become closer, and others that have drawn further apart. (For example, the vibrato has become more similar, but the treatment of altissimo is quite different.)

Webernfan
11-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Has anyone heard this (http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557992) CD just put out on Naxos? Kerkezos isn't my favorite player, but I sort of follow Cage's "The best music is music I haven't heard yet" motto, so a CD of entirely new saxophone music interests me.

A.Smith
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, i thought you would like to know that a few weeks ago i spoke with Vincent David and he is recording a solo cd in January. On the cd will be both Berio sequenza's (with above string parts done by David), Boulez Dialogue, Webern Quartet, another berio work and another piece that he's not quite sure of yet. Good news for classical sax.

jazfyrski
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Here are some new CDs I've acquired in the past few months. Some were released this year, others recorded in prior years but only available recently:

Jean-Pierre Baraglioli
"Fernande Decruck: Musique pour Saxophone et Piano"
Dapheneo A510
(All Decruck):
--Huit Pieces Francais
--Chant Lyrique
--3eme Chant Lyrique
--Stars Under the Moon"
--Sax-Volubile
--Selmer-Sax
--Complainte de Dinah
--(etc.)

Arno Bornkamp
"Boston - Paris: The Elisa Hall Collection"
Ottavo OTR C30589
--Debussy: Rapsodie
--D' Indy: Choral Varie
--Caplet: Impression d' Automne
Legende
--Schmitt: Legende
--Loeffler: Divertissement
--Longy: Rapsodie

Masahiro Maeda
"Fascine: Musique Francaise pour Saxophone"
MDS QV1907
--Jolivet: Fantaisie-Impromptu
--Boutry: Divertimento
--Bonneau: Caprice
--Franck: Sonata

Alex Mitchell
"American Saxophone Music"
Naxos 8.559241
--Quate: Light of Sothis
--Creston: Sonata
--Rorem: Picnic on the Marne
--Hartley: Sonata for Baritone Saxophone
--Hovhaness: Suite for Alto saxophone
--Muczynski: Sonata
--Wiedoeft: Valse Vanite

Willem Moolenbeek
"Heartsongs"
Millstream
--Bizet: Flower Song
--Gershwin: Summertime
It Ain't Necessarily So
--Debussy: La Plus que Lente
--Massenet: Meditation
--Verdi: Addio del Passato
--(etc.)

Stephen Pollock
"So Near, So Far"
Alanna Records ACD6000
--Piazzolla: Oblivion
Milonga del Angel
--(Traditional): Danny Boy
--Shaffer: Past Singing Springs
--Bozza: Aria
--Mahler: "O Garish World..."
--(etc.)

Sandor Rigo
"Paul Bonneau - Paul Creston: Pieces for Saxophone and Piano"
Hungaroton HCD 32296
--Bonneau: Suite pour Saxophone Alto et Piano
Deux Caprices en Forme de Valse
Piece Concertante dans l' Esprit "Jazz"
--Creston: Suite for Alto Saxophone and Piano
Rapsodie for Alto Saxophone and Piano
Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra

Styliani Tartsinis
"J.S. Bach: The Suites Vol. 1: Solo Tenor Saxophone"
Wisteria WR 55781
(all Bach):
--Suite No. 1
--Suite No. 2
--Suite No. 3

Henk van Twillert
"Bach: Suites for Cello: Solo Baritone Saxophone"
ArtStation HVT0512
(all Bach):
--Suite No. 1
--Suite No. 2
--Suite No. 3
--Suite No. 4
--Suite No. 4
--Suite No. 5
--Suite No. 6

Also, Dr. Frederick Hemke's website recently announced the availability of a new (re-release?) CD titled "The American Saxophonist" on EnF Records. I've ordered a copy and am really looking forward to its arrival.

Thanks!

Webernfan
11-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Someone mentioned earlier on this thread Raaf Hekkema's Paganini Caprices: I just got this CD and I'm really enjoying it. His tone is really beautifull, and his playing is great ( even if not all the high notes are spot on ). What particularly struck me was the beauty of his soprano playing, which actually sounded more appropriate in these pieces than the alto for reasons I'm not quite sure of.

KenK
11-09-2006, 04:07 AM
jazfyrski: where did you purchase the Henk van Twillert? How is it (and the Alex Mitchell)?

Angel
11-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Jazfyrski,

Thank you for the update. I had no idea that Naxos has 2 new full-length saxo albums. Also, thanks for confirming Hemke's new release. I waited for the second one to come out so I can order both at the same time.

Angel

jazfyrski
11-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi, KenK

I bought the Henk van Twillert CD directly from him. It cost 20 euros (about $25.70 USD), but it is a two-disc set. You can contact him at:

henk@saxunlimited.com

Henk van Twillert's baritone sax interpretations are very moving and, to me, much more "cello-like" compared to those of other saxophonists (e.g. Todd Oxford [whose version of Suite #1 is very different but also excellent], Paul Wehage, Styliani). My favorite versions were done by Michael Ibrahim and Jamal Rossi (alto saxophone and Suite #1 only).

BTW, Henk van Twillert's CD states "2nd Edition 2005". I'm not sure if these performances were originally recorded some years ago and recently re-mastered or if they are new recordings.

I really enjoyed Alex Mitchell's performance on "American Saxophone Music" and also like the pieces on the CD. However, I actually prefer versions by other saxophonists for most of these works.

Thanks!

KenK
11-10-2006, 03:46 AM
jazfyrski, thanks very much for the information and the interesting list of discs. I will be sure to check some of them out!

Angel
11-11-2006, 05:26 PM
You may have already heard Alex Mitchell as the bari player on the Adelphi Saxophone Quartet's CD "Simply Four Saxophones".

Angel

Dannel
11-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I recently acquired this new CD(although I don't know how long it's been out) of the Apollo Saxophone Quartet. They're playing 3 different quartets by Barbara Thompson which are very neat and interesting. Although I believe the Apollo guys have a bit of a jazzier sound to their group. Still a pretty interesting CD, IMO.

Angel
11-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Dannel, what a coincidence.

I just got this one for a great price on eBay and am awaiting its arrival. I like Apollo (and the rest of the British guys) for their freshness of interpretation. Although Apollo's tone concept is different from mine, I'm still very intrigued and would love to see them live someday.

Angel

Steve P
12-01-2006, 10:24 PM
New from AUREC (and also a shameless plug):

"America's Millennium Tribute to Adolphe Sax Volume XI "
Featuring AUR's 2006 Saxophone Competition Winners Stephen Page & James Fusik with special guest artist The Desert Wind Saxophone Quartet

www.aurec.com

Steve P

jazfyrski
12-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Three new CDs for you to consider:

Lynne Greenwood
"A Concert in the Park"
(Private Label?)
All Mayeur:
--Grande Fantaisie Brillante sur Carnaval de Venise
--Grande Fantaisie sur Norma de Bellini
--Grande Fantaisie de Concert sur Rigoletto de Verdi
--Fantaisie sur La Somnambula de Bellini
--Fantaisie Brillante sur Lucrece Borgia de Donizetti

Frederick Hemke
"The American Saxophonist" (Re-issue of two 1971 recordings: "The American Saxophone" and "Music for Tenor Saxophone")
EnF Records 1203-2
--Dahl: Concerto for Alto Saxophone
--Benson: Aeolian Song
--Karlins: Music for Tenor Saxophone and Piano
--Hartley: Poem
--Husa: Concerto for Alto Saxophone
--Duckworth: Ballad in Time and Space
--DiPasquale: Sonata for Tenor Saxophone and Piano
--Benson: Farewell

John Vana
"The Interactive Saxophone"
Capstone Records CPS-8763
--Heiden: Sonata
--Paccione: Seeing Those Hours
--Muczynski: Sonata
--Levin: Sonata
--Takacs: Two Fantastics

Happy Holidays!

Angel
12-31-2006, 04:51 AM
New CD by concert saxophonist Randall Hall.

"Neither Proud nor Ashamed" on the Innova label http://www.innova.mu.

Lauba "Hard"
Berio "Sequenza VIIb"

and other works, mostly premiere recordings.

Angel

srcsax
12-31-2006, 05:21 AM
Angel, how does this recording of "Hard" compare to the Richard Dirlam "Hard" on his "She Sings, She Screams" recording?

nitrosax
01-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that new Hemke CD is some of the most beautiful and sensitive playing? I think Hemke sounds really close to what Mule probably sounded like...

Nitro...

Angel
01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
"Poemes for Saxophone, Violin and Piano" on the VMS label. Detlef Bensmann, saxophone. Music of Eychenne, Busch, Bensmann, and Fried. I was wondering when this guy would resurface.

"The Art of Peter Clinch, Australia's Greatest Saxophonist" on the Divine Art label. Peter Clinch, saxophone and some clarinet. Music of Lovelock, Gross, Penberthy, d'Ombrain. Looks like most, if not all, of this CD is a compilation of past commercial releases.

Angel

A.Smith
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
It is indeed. Old recordings thrown together in an attempt to sell CD's. They've actually advertised it well though.

Angel
01-29-2007, 12:02 AM
At least well enough for me to buy one!

Angel

Angel
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Sorry to yet again dig up an old thread, but I just received Rolf-Erik Nystrom's CD "Concepts of Sorrows and Dangers" on the Aurora label.

Works of Lars Petter Hagen, Xenakis, Francesconi, and others, including a few pieces by Nystrom himself.

First of all, what an artist, and a refreshingly good choice of programming. I haven't even listened through the whole CD yet (it's playing now, fresh from the mailbox), and already I'm extremely impressed. All new stuff I've never heard (nor even noticed) before, some quasi-romantic, some avant-garde. The music is mostly accessible, and utilizes electronics and LOTS of extended techniques, but in a way that works for the music. Very rare.

Before he got into the deep grass (starting with Xenakis), the first couple of pieces on the CD hit me so hard (positively) that I had to hear them again!

Maybe not something you would find in a traditional recital venue, but if paired with other media, say at a museum or art gallery, or with film or slides, this can be a very effective and thought-provoking program.

Nystrom has an eclectic approach to the instrument and the capacity to vary his tone color a great deal to suit the ever-changing musical situations of his repertoire. I hear some influences of Jan Garbarek, maybe some Daniel Kientzy, and definitely some traditional training. He also possesses a phenomenal technical control of the instrument that serves to facilitate and even augment his brilliant artistic qualities.

This guy can do anything.

Angel

Angel
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
There is a new London Sinfonietta CD "Warp Works & Twentieth Century Masters", on which Simon Haram recorded Spiral by Karlheinz Stockhausen. At $20 on Amazon.com, this CD is a much more affordable Spiral recording than that which appears on Stockhausen's own label, and maybe even better (I love the London Sinfonietta, and I find Haram to be one of the most exciting soprano players out there).

Other items on this CD include works by Reich, Ligeti, Varese, and Cage, interspersed with music of Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Double-disc.

Looks interesting.

Angel

Dannel
02-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Finally a recording of this Spiral piece I inquired about ages ago

Angel
02-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Hey Dannel, if you want to keep me on retainer, I'll find this stuff quicker for ya.

$$$$$$

Angel

Dannel
02-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Do you know of a recording of Miklos Maros Festiggiamento No. 2(I probably butchered the spelling). It's a duet for Alto and Sop. If not, let's play it and record it!

Angel
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I've never even heard of it, but I really like Maros' Concerto and Rabescatura.

If you own this piece, send me a copy of the alto part, and we can read it together at Wildacres.

Angel

BKauth
02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I have the score to Maros' Festaggiamento No. 2 and have worked on it at USM. It's a BEAST of work. Hope your ultra high ranges are solid!

Angel
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I hope it doesn't get more extreme than a G on alto!

Angel

Angel
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Well, I haven't seen a lot of new releases lately, but have noticed quite a few notables have stuff in the can and are awaiting release. Here are a few to watch for:

Prism Quartet - Music of William Albright
James Houlik - On Wings of Song
Rob Buckland - Concertos by Graham Fitkin, Martin Ellerby, and Michael Ball
Claude Delangle - Concertos with the Singapore Symphony (he says May 2007!)
Debra Richtmeyer - Classics for Saxophone and Piano
Jonathan Helton - American Music for Saxophone and Piano
Brian Sacawa - American Voices
Timothy McAllister - Ibert Concertino with Hot Springs Festival Orchestra
Lutz Koppetsch - told me he has a solo CD coming out soon, but that's all I know about it.

Angel

Dannel
02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
The alto part could go up to an A at the end, but Gwozdz rewrote the last page to where that wouldn't happen since the Alto was ending up ending on a higher note than the soprano. It's not too bad, just real fun to listen to :twisted:

BKauth
02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Dr. Gwozdz didn't really re-write the last page. He told me he suggested to Maros what you have said about the alto ending up higher than the soprano, and Maros altered the ending of the work by reversing the two parts. I have both versions.

Rackety Sax
02-25-2007, 03:17 AM
I just picked this up at the NASA Region 5 Convention and raced home in the snow and sleet to make sure I got this posted before Angel scooped me. ;)

Four CD set, Jean-Marie Londeix: Portrait - Private Recordings Volumes 1-4 on the MDG Archive label.

To save some typing, I'm posting a scan of the track listing.

Only thing I can't yet figure out is whether all of this is previously unreleased. Some of the stuff definitely overlaps released material, but I haven't figured out yet whether they are actually the same recordings.

j44breaker
02-25-2007, 03:37 AM
That's a lot of good material on Londeix's box set. Is it available online for purchase? I've tried searching around the usual spots, but I can't seem to find it...maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

Rackety Sax
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
It's the same German company that put out the Raaf Hekkema Paganini Caprices which is available on Amazon, so my guess is that it just hasn't worked its way through the distribution channels yet. It wasn't clear to me who brought them to the conference to sell. Paul Bro would be my best guess.

Angel
02-25-2007, 04:59 PM
WOW.

:toothy7:

Noah Madison
02-26-2007, 04:17 AM
I believe WOW would be accurate as would a HOLY CRAP

Angel
02-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Just purchased mine from The Saxophone Shop in Skokie, IL.

http://www.saxshop.com.

$25 plus $6 shipping.

Eagerly awaiting delivery.

Angel

Rackety Sax
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Hah, I guess the joke is on me, it was on sale for $40 at the conference!! Or was it $45?

Angel
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
That one's for the scoop!!

;)

Angel

Rackety Sax
02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
That one's for the scoop!!

;)

Angel
Fair enough, money well spent to secure my place in saxophone history.

drakesaxprof
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Just purchased mine from The Saxophone Shop in Skokie, IL.

http://www.saxshop.com.

$25 plus $6 shipping.

Eagerly awaiting delivery.

Angel
Just got off the phone with Saxophone Shop. They gave me a price of $45--I mentioned that you had gotten it for $25 ("The boss told me...") because yours has a crack in the case! Just found it a bit funny.
Jim

Angel
03-03-2007, 06:02 AM
I don't know nuthin bout no crack!

Onward, anyway, I just received the Calefax Reed Quintet's new CD of Bach's Goldberg Variations. These guys are awesome. Clarinet, bass clarinet, saxophone (Raaf Hekkema of Paganini saxo fame or infamy), oboe, english horn.

My favorite in their discography is their earlier CD of Debussy and Ravel stuff including a stunning performance of Tombeau de Couperin. In my opinion, this has been Hekkema's most exciting and tasteful playing, and the ensemble work is beyond top-notch. Major-competition-winning ensembles for the most part have nothing on these guys.

Angel

Angel
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Sigurd Rascher's recording of Eric Coates "Saxo-Rhapsody" with orchestra has just been re-released onto CD again:

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Coates-conducts/dp/B000IY018E/ref=dp_return_1/002-9651367-6923233?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music&qid=1173116426&sr=1-4

Angel

Dannel
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Anyone know of a recording if Glaser's Allegro, Cadenza, e Adagio?

Angel
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
John Edward Kelly recorded it on his first CD w/ pianist Bob Versteegh. http://www.johnedwardkelly.com

Angel

Dannel
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. For some reason I thought that was the Drei Sonate. I guess I do have a recording, thanks Angel :o)

Angel
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
New release on the Preiser label:

"Paris - New York 1930"
Klaus Gesing, saxophone
Sylvaine Ilario, piano

Gershwin Preludes
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
Ravel Piano Concerto 2nd mvmt
Debussy Beau Soir
Debussy Clair de Lune
Milhaud Scaramouche II, III
Seifert Meditation
Seifert Rumba

Angel

jazfyrski
03-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I saw this new CD listed on Crochet UK recently. However, by the item description and audio samples, it seemed like more than half the selections were with clarinet instead of the saxophone.
Do you have a copy, Angel? Can you confirm this?

Angel
03-08-2007, 04:16 AM
I do not have this one. I noticed it while doing a quick browse at arkivmusic.com. It says he's only playing saxo on the website, butcha never know.

Angel

A.Smith
04-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Thought I'd put my bit in for a new Australian release.
Barry Cockcroft has put out a new Cd titled "Crazy Logic" with works by composers from Australia, New Zealand and the U.S. The tracks are as follows

Crazy Logic - Matthew Orlovich
Heaven - Perry Goldstein
Time Transfixed - Maria Grenfell
Not too near....not too far - Brenton Broadstock
Murphy's Law - Philip Norman
Digressioni Modali - Andrián Pertout
Three Places for a New Millenium - Stuart Greenbaum

For sound samples go to
http://www.reedmusic.com/publications/cds/crazy_logic.html

Steve P
04-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Timothy McAllister-
Glint
Timothy McAllister, Soprano and Alto Saxophone
Robert Spring, clarinet;
Lucia Unrau, piano

Works by: Kristin Kuster, Roshanne Etezady, Peter Terry, Kati Agocs, Caleb Burhans, Gregory Wanamaker, and Daniel Asia

Steve P

wfhoehn
04-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Brian Sacawa's "American Voices" is now available through Innova.

http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=296

Angel
04-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Timothy McAllister-
Glint
Timothy McAllister, Soprano and Alto Saxophone
Robert Spring, clarinet;
Lucia Unrau, piano

Works by: Kristin Kuster, Roshanne Etezady, Peter Terry, Kati Agocs, Caleb Burhans, Gregory Wanamaker, and Daniel Asia

Steve P

What???? Wow!! Thanks, Steve P, I guess Tim didn't get to me on this announcement. Is it all saxo?

Angel

Angel
04-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Brian Sacawa's "American Voices" is now available through Innova.

http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=296

Good work, Walter. I'm getting my copy on 4/25 at Brian's recial in Baltimore, MD, but this is good news for those who cannot attend. For those of you who have never heard Brian, catch this rising star. One of the best living saxophonists.

Angel

Steve P
04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I believe that McAllisters new CD will be works for Saxo, Clarinet and Piano from what I can tell. Should be exciting. The Wannamaker Duo for Clarinet and Saxophone is pretty awesome, but that is the only piece that I am familiar with.

Steve P

bezozzi
04-17-2007, 03:25 AM
I spoke with Dr. McAllister through email earlier today about his CD. Be looking out for it! We were talking about the sop/clar duet Roshanne Etezady wrote, Glint. Here's the email...

"Hi Alex,

great to hear from you. Thanks, I am excited about the cd as well. It is
almost completed and will probably be out late summer or early Fall.

Roshanne's Glint can be purchased by emailing her at
roshanne@roshanne.com. It
is outrageously difficult!!! (Am still sweating over some of the licks, and I
have already recorded it) and both players must be able to circular breathe.
It is great fun."

So there you have it. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty excited to hear a piece that even he is saying is ridiculously hard!

Steve P
05-03-2007, 05:12 AM
New, from Eugene Rousseau

Eugene Rousseau, saxophone, joins members of the New Budapest Quartet in the Mozart and Brahms Quintets. Originally for clarinet and strings, Rousseau demonstrates a wonderfully lyrical saxophone in this adaption of these great chamber music classics. Included on the recording are Brahms Quintet, op. 115 and Mozart Quintet, K. 581

I heard some of this last year, when it was still being edited. Excellent recording, and a must have for all of us.

Available at www.jeanne-inc.com

Steve P

Michigansax
05-04-2007, 03:26 PM
New Delangle anyone???

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISCD1357

I'm listening to it right now through a NAXOS subscription though UNT. Yes, it's incredible. I'll save some of you the trouble: in the Ibert, he takes all of the altissimo in the Larghetto, slap tongues in the cadenza and takes the cadenza to an altissimo F.

Angel
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow, Le Maitre wasn't fooling around. This came out right on time.

Angel

jazfyrski
05-17-2007, 04:52 AM
OK. More classical saxophone CDs recorded either this year or in recent years, and just now available (they're all in my collection as I'm writing this).

These two have been mentioned in this thread recently:

Claude Delangle
"Under the Sign of the Sun" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Orchestra)
BIS CD-1357
--Ibert: Concertino da Camera
--Tomasi: Concerto
--Maurice: Tableaux de Provence
--Schmitt: Legende
etc.

Masato Kumoi
"Sinfonia" (Soprano Saxophone and Ensemble)
Cryston OVCC-00034
(all C.P.E. Bach)
--Sinfonia in D Major
--Flute Concerto in D Minor
--Variationen uber die Folie d' Espagnole
etc.

I don't believe the following have been announced in this thread before:

Masato Kumoi
"Simple Songs" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
CAFUA CACG-0093
--Bernstein: A Simple Song
--Bach: Three Choralvorspiele
--Desenclos: Prelude, Cadence et Finale
--Maslanka: Sonata
etc.

Masato Kumoi (Yes, again; but I think he's that good.)
"The Dream Net" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Ensemble)
CAFUA CACG-0075
--Benson:The Dream Net
--Glazunov: Concerto
--Canteloube: Chants d' Auvergne (BTW, these pieces translate beautifully to the saxophone and I regard them as the "French counterpart" to Vaughan-Williams' "Six Studies in English Folksong". Does anyone know of another saxophone recording of this besides "In Memory" by Kenneth Tse?)
etc.

Joaquin Franco-Pallas
"Saxtendre" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Dahiz 016-CD
--Faure: Fantaisie
--Faure: Elegie
--Mendelssohn: Romance sans Paroles
--Leclair: Adagio
--Handel: Sicilienne et Gigue
--Martini: Les Mutons
etc.

Katsuki Tochio
"Schubert - Schumann" (Baritone Saxophone and Piano)
Meister Music MM-1189
--Schubert: Sonate, D. 821
--Schumann: Phantasiestucke
--Schumann: Dichterliebe
--Schubert: An die Musik

Quartetto di Sassofoni Accademia and Bruno Canino
"Jean-Baptiste Singelee: Fantaisies Concerts et Solos" (SATB Saxophone and Piano)
Dynamic CDS-541
(all Singelee)
--Grand Duo Concertante
etc.

Loris Colmaor
"Loris Colmaor/Leandro Camerotto" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Lorely Production PH 00618
--Chailleux: Andante et Allegro
--Bourrel: Sonate
etc.

Apologies if these have been mentioned before. Thanks!

Steve P
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I will echo your comments about Kumoi. He visited IU a few weeks ago and premeired a new quartet by David Maslanka, and he was amazing. He taught a masterclass, and his ideas were really wonderful. I have ordered his CDs and look forward to hearing more of him.

Steve P

Angel
05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Just a correction to Jazfyrski's nice list.

The CD "Sinfonia" (works of C.P.E. Bach) on the Cryston label is Masataka Hirano, not Kumoi. Great CD.

Angel

jazfyrski
05-17-2007, 02:54 PM
You're right, Angel! "Sinfonia" is by Masataka Hirano.

I got so excited about the CD that I attributed it to the wrong artist. Boy, these Japanese saxophonists are really making their mark in the classical saxophone world these days. Thanks for the correction!

BTW, is there another saxophone recording of Canteloube's "Chants d' Auvergne"? Anyone?

Rackety Sax
05-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Suggestion for this thread - if you list something a little off the beaten path (or very much off the beaten path), include a source if possible. Jazfyrski, looks like some very interesting CDs there but aside from the BIS label I wouldn't begin to know where to look for them.

KenK
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
The Sinfonia CD by Hirano is absolutely wonderful.

CDs of some of the Japanese artists are hard to find in the usual places. However, I found that the Japanese Amazon.com site, amazon.co.jp, allows you to set up an account with a US (or international) address. Not only that, in the upper right corner, there's a link that allows you to view the site in English, including your account info pages, order tracking, etc. I got the Sinfonia CD from there.

One downside, as far as I can tell, is that you have to search for artists' names using Japanese characters!

Here are direct links to the Hirano and Tochi CDs:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/F-%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9A%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8D%E3%83%BB%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8A%E3%82%BF-%E6%A0%83%E5%B0%BE%E5%85%8B%E6%A8%B9/dp/B000AU1KGS/ref=sr_1_1/250-6553986-0162647?ie=UTF8&s=classical&qid=1179420964&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%8B%E3%82%A2~C-P-E-%E3%83%90%E3%83%83%E3%83%8F%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81%E9%9B%86~-%E5%B9%B3%E9%87%8E%E5%85%AC%E5%B4%87/dp/B000IY0GWK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/250-6553986-0162647?ie=UTF8&s=classical&qid=1179421060&sr=8-1

paulmac
05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
How can you get hold of the Masato Kumoi CDs?

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, as I haven't had time to search all the way through this thread, but Arno Bornkamp said he should have a CD coming out later this year, including works with pianist and narrator (I think)! Also I think he said Aurelia Quartet will have a new CD.

KenK
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Here are links to Dream Net:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BB%E3%83%8D%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E9%9B%B2%E4%BA%95%E9%9B%85%E4%BA%BA/dp/B000BDJ6T2/ref=sr_1_5/250-6553986-0162647?ie=UTF8&s=classical&qid=1179443307&sr=8-5

and Simple Songs:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Simple-Songs-%E9%9B%B2%E4%BA%95%E9%9B%85%E4%BA%BA/dp/B000LRZ0ZC/ref=sr_1_2/250-6553986-0162647?ie=UTF8&s=classical&qid=1179443307&sr=8-2

paulmac
05-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks

jazfyrski
05-18-2007, 03:15 AM
For Chitownjazz:

Good suggestion about listing sources/vendors, as well the new CDs. I'll do that from now on.

For:KenK:

Thanks for your posts. Those are indeed my sources for many of the CDs listed. But I also have family in Japan who keep me informed and supplied with classical saxophone releases from there.

Other notes:

The Singelee CD is available from: www.crotchet.co.uk

The Franco-Pallas CD from: www.arkivmusic.com

The Colmaor CD from: www.loreley-boutique.fr

I think that's it. Thanks.

Rackety Sax
05-18-2007, 06:26 PM
For Chitownjazz:

Good suggestion about listing sources/vendors, as well the new CDs. I'll do that from now on.

For:KenK:

Thanks for your posts. Those are indeed my sources for many of the CDs listed. But I also have family in Japan who keep me informed and supplied with classical saxophone releases from there.

Other notes:

The Singelee CD is available from: www.crotchet.co.uk

The Franco-Pallas CD from: www.arkivmusic.com

The Colmaor CD from: www.loreley-boutique.fr

I think that's it. Thanks.

Cool, thanks jazfyrski.

Steve P
05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
TIMOTHY MCALLISTER

Towers of Power
Timothy McAllister, alto/tenor/soprano saxophones;
The University of Arizona
Wind Ensemble
Gregg Hanson, conductor
Albany Records
Expected Release Date: September 1, 2007

World Premiere recording of Daniel McCarthy's Chamber Symphony No. 4 for saxophones and winds. Other works include Anthony Plog's Flute Concerto and Philip Glass' Concerto for Two Timpani.

Dannel
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Tetraphonics Saxophone Quartet just came out with a CD on the Cybele label (www.cybele.de)

CD - The Invitation - Saxophone Quartets of the 20th century

Philip Glass: Concerto for saxophone quartet, Frank Reinshagen: The Invitation, Barbara Thompson: Saxophone Quartet No. 2 "From darkness into light", Zdenek Lukás: Rondo per 4 sassofoni, Johann Sebastian Bach: Fugue No. 20 in A minor à 4 voci BWV 865 (from The Well-tempered Piano Vol. I)

Soprano - Steffen Hass
Alto - Elmar Frey
Tenor - Volker Ax
Bari - Rich Mays

Elmar personally handed me this CD while I was in Europe last week and I've been listening to it non-stop, particularly the Barbara Thompson Quartet. Really good stuff and I highly recommend this CD to everyone. This is such a great quartet that I've been waiting to listen to for a while now.

Rick
06-08-2007, 04:40 PM
err nm, repost

Angel
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Federico Mondelci new CD "Favorite Italian Movie Music". Works by Molinelli, Morricone, Rota et al. Constantine Orbelian conducting Moscow Chamber Orchestra. Delos label.

I just received the new Delangle CD in the mail, and I think it's fantastic, though bordering on the fast mvmts being too fast, almost frantic. Mostly very beautiful playing from Claude, especially a stunning Ravel Pavane. The Singapore Symphony is extremely hot. Super aggressive in La Boumiano mvmt of Maurice, highly sensitive and full of color in Ravel, Tomasi.

Angel

A.Smith
06-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Recieved mine about a week ago as well. There are some truely beautiful moments in this recording. The musicality and sensitivity are superb, especially in the slower movts. Yet the highlight for me, was how fresh Claude's take was on these well known works. Definite food for thought in teaching these works and playing them yourself.
Also, how good is the support of this man! That air stream is so rock solid. I particulalry enjoyed the first few phrases on the 2nd of the Ibert. it was well worth the wait.

paulmac
06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
According to Kenneth Tse's website, he and Nobuya Sugawa will be releasing a duo CD somtime soon...anyone know anything about this?

JayLaczSax
06-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Yes Kenneth and Sugawa are indeed going to record a duet CD. Prof. Tse (in early May I believe) received word that he and Sugawa were awarded a grant to record. However, they are having a difficult time booking a place in Iowa to record, last I heard, they may be pushing the recording date until next summer.

A.Smith
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Any idea of what works they will play?

bernesax
06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
There is a CD from a swiss saxquartet (konus quartett). it's a live recording of salvatore sciarrino's "la bocca, i piedi, il suono" for 4 soloists and 100 saxophones.
it's great music and very well played. the cd can be ordered at http://www.cubus-records.ch

Jordan VanHemert
06-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes Kenneth and Sugawa are indeed going to record a duet CD. Prof. Tse (in early May I believe) received word that he and Sugawa were awarded a grant to record. However, they are having a difficult time booking a place in Iowa to record, last I heard, they may be pushing the recording date until next summer.

Do you know any details on the "Music of Francois Poulenc" album that Professor Tse is doing in conjunction with "Various artists?"

Rick
06-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of the Londeix Portraits CD online in the US or even by phone order? I've tried saxshop.com but the site is down and whenever I try emailing them it bounces back to me with a failed delivery. Thank you.

Angel
07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Rick, give them a call. I phoned in my order with them.

Angel

Rick
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Angel. I found their (sax shop's) number around the internet but they told me they're all sold out. I placed an advanced order on amazon.com for the official July 31st release date here in the U.S. It's advertised as $16.99 but I'm sure that will change.

Nate94
07-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Anyone heard the newest tribute to Adolphe Sax album (#12 I believe) featuring Joe Lulloff and George Wolfe? Just curious what others think about the newest CD in the series.

jazfyrski
09-03-2007, 09:11 PM
This thread needs a bump!

Here are 6 CDs recently available:

Katsuko Tochio
"The Garden of Shadows" (Baritone saxophone and piano)
Meister Music MM-1228
--Bach: Cello Suite No. 1, BWV 1007
--Faure: Elegie
--Kreisler: Liebesfreud
--Takahashi: The Garden of Shadows
etc.
http://www.meister-music.com

Joel Versavaud
"Mai Solo" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor/Baritone saxophones and electronics)
Maguelone MAG 111-158
--Rosse: Ost-Atem
--Bouef: Six Monodies de l' Absence
--Narboni: Yaknapatawpha
--Ginoux: Grimace
etc.
http://www.fnac.com

Bruno Totaro
"Opus Sax" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor saxophones and string orchestra)
(Private Label?)
--Ghidoni: Concerto pour Saxophone Alto et Orchestre a Cordes
--Pommier: Triptykaxos pour Saxophones Alto, Tenor, et Soprano
--Dinicu: Hora Staccato pour Saxophone Alto et Orchestre a Cordes
etc.
http://www.bruno-totaro.fr

Carl-Henrik Fernandi
"Opera!" (Alto/Soprano saxophone and piano)
Sveriges CHCD001
--Rossini: Introduktion, Tema och Variationer
--Beethoven: Sju Variationer over Tema ur Trollflojten
--Bizet: Fantasie Brillante ur Carmen
--Gluck: Dans pa de Saligas angar "Orfeus och Euryidike"
etc.
http://www.fernandi.se

Keiji Shimoji
"Pour le Saxophone" (Alto saxophone and piano)
Actus AKL-019
--Gallois-Montbrun: Six Pieces Musicales d' Etude
--Rueff: Sonate pour Saxophone Alto Seul
etc.
http://www.nonaka-actus.com

Alexander Oseichuk
"Suite of Moods" (Alto saxophone and piano)
Melodiya MEL CD 00857
--Genin: Carnaval de Venise
--Absil: Sonate
--Bozza: Diptyque
--Chugunov: Suite of Moods
--Maurice: Tableaux de Provence
etc.
http://www.melody.su

The links will lead you to vendors (or, in two instances, from the artists themselves) where you can purchase these CDs. Well worth the effort!

Any other new classical saxophone recordings out there?

Thanks!

kaspy
09-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Here's one:
A work titled "À Huit" for two sax quartets, by André Hamel.
It's on a CD with other pieces (but not for sax) by the same composer.

Here's the link to the CD publisher:

http://www.atmaclassique.com/en/catalogue/catalogue.asp

mstraus
09-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I've got some information (courtesy of the Peabody Alumni Newsletter) on his newest CD, recorded this summer in Russian.

"The album, intended for a fall release, will include Bizet’s Carmen Fantasy (arranged by Louie), Glazounov’s Concerto in Eb Major, Frank Martin’s Ballade, Rachmaninoff’s Vocalise, and Schumann’s Träumerei (arranged by Frank Hudson)."

No word on the label but I know he wants to get it out there quickly (possibly Naxos?).

Mike
www.mstraus.net

Angel
09-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Great news! I'm very much looking forward to Mr. Louie's CD.

FWIW, when I heard him play Glazounov with Baltimore Symphony 2 yrs ago, I thought it was the best performance of that concerto I had ever heard. Equal props to the conductor that weekend -- Yan-Pascal Tortelier, one of my favorites.

Angel

selmer3man
09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Prism's long-awaited Albright CD is finally available....

http://www.innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=308

Angel
09-25-2007, 03:23 PM
And you beat me to it. I ordered mine this morning.

Haven't yet heard some of the stuff on this CD, looking forward to it.

Taimur Sullivan says that PRISM's Veldhuis CD is going to be released soon.

Angel

A.Smith
10-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Here's the blurb for Niels from Aurelia's debut solo cd. Having seen him play alto live I just loved his tone, and from all reports his tenor playing and tone are superb.

Chant du Saxophone Ténor
- A highly anticipated ode to the Tenor Saxophone:
- A brand new Super-Audio CD with a selection of the best lyrical pieces for tenor saxophone and piano
(Aliud Records)
Chant du Saxophone Ténor

* Chant du Ménestrel - Alexander Glazounov
* Adagio und Allegro - Robert Schumann
* Poem - Walter S. Hartley
* Evening Song - Dmitri Smirnov
* Ballade - Frank Martin
* Songe de Coppélius - Florent Schmitt
* Concerto - Robert Ward

Angel
10-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Interesting, as he's the alto player in the quartet. I'll look for this one.

Are the Frank Martin and Robert Ward with piano?

Angel

A.Smith
10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
All the works are with piano. He is part of a tenor sax and piano duo! If you go to his website there are sound samples. After listening to him play tenor, the probable reason for him being on alto in Aurelia is that Arno's on tenor. Niels joined in replacement of Andre (the original alto) a few years ago, and you would presume they wouldn't want to tinker with the line-up (although he's an awesome alto player). His website also lists a cd for four bari saxes which includes Ties Mellema (Amstel)! Niels is also part of a sax/accordion duo and a sax/recorder duo.

Angel
10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Cool!

As an aside, I'm generally puzzled as to why someone would record concerti with piano (especially when the composers were good orchestrators!).

I'm buying this one anyway. Just listened to the sound samples, and I don't think I've heard a better European tenor player. Quite beautiful.

Angel

Dannel
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to purchase the CD of the Aurelia Saxophone Quartet that has works by Dutch Composers? Tristan Keuris's Music for Saxophones is on that one....

Angel
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to purchase the CD of the Aurelia Saxophone Quartet that has works by Dutch Composers? Tristan Keuris's Music for Saxophones is on that one....

Uh-oh.

You are way off-topic here..... That is definitely not a new saxophone CD..... Might even be old enough to be out of print! I'm telling!!!!:badgrin:

(jk, I'll contact you soon about that Keuris track.)

Angel

Steve P
10-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Fair warning: the Keuris is a -BEAR-. Gotta have a monster in each corner to get that one playable!! Not to mention it's expensive. Lots of fun for the tenor player though!

Steve P

Dannel
10-05-2007, 05:37 AM
It was on topic as far as the Aurelia Quartet goes :P. I didn't want to make an entirely new thread for it. You can sick the SOTW cops on me if you want, but i'm part cuban and i'll run from them like the freaking immigration police! :)

Keuris is definitely a bear. My quartet is putting it together currently, we're almost to the end. I'm trying to find some possible musical ideas and all besides the 3 different rascher quartet recordings I have and I figure they'd provide an entirely different approach. We'll be performing it at the Navy band symposium, applying for a NASA recital slot, and using it for whichever quartet competitions we get accepted into.

BlueLight
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I just got my PRISM CD Today!!

it's so beautiful!!

A.Smith
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Just reminding everyone of the new Aurelia Saxophone Quartet release.
The CD is titled "Spiritual Overdrive" and is on the New Dynamics label.
Composers include Gavin Bryars, Graham Fitkin, David Froom, Joey Roukens, Jacob ter Veldhuis, and Ian Wilson.
For sound samples go to
http://www.myspace.com/spiritualoverdrive

A.Smith
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Also, the Amstel Saxophone Quartet's new release is out on their own Amstel records label. Includes the Glazanouv and Glass quartet's.

Angel
10-24-2007, 04:36 AM
I've been waiting for these. Thanks for keeping us apprised of the releases.

Angel

mstraus
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
These guys are on fire! I just saw them play the last concert date on their US tour and it was mind blowing. Definitely worth the 5 hour trip from DC to Patchogue, New York. How many American Quartets rehearse three to four times a week in 4-5 hour sessions? It really shows.

Mike

A.Smith
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
You can tell Habanera do the same. Amstel's memory work is just stunning.

jazfyrski
11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Just released:

Keith R. Young
"Saxophone Voices from Five Countries" (Alto/Tenor/Soprano saxophones and piano)
Crystal Records CD 659
--Villa-Lobos: Fantasia
--Piazzolla: Tango
--Wiedhoeft: Saxophobia
--Bonneau: Caprice en Forme de Valse
--Honda: Four Jazz Etudes
etc.
http://crystalrecords.com/saxophone.html

Nice playing; interesting variety of pieces!

BTW, there were several CDs that had a Summer/Fall 2007 release date:

Stephen C. Page's "Holy Roller"
James Houlik's "On Wings of Song"
Greg Banaszaks' "Romances for Saxophone and Orchestra"
Jonathan Helton's "American Music for Saxophone and Piano"
David Camwell's "Untitled (?)"
Timothy McAllister's "Towers of Power"
Federico Mondelci's "Musica Francese per Sassofono e Pianoforte"
Debra Richtmeyer's "Classics for Saxophone and Piano"
Stacy Wilson's "Untitled (?)"

Can anyone give us an update of when we may see them available? Thanks!

Angel
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Also be on the lookout soon for Prism Quartet's upcoming CD of the saxophone works by Jacob ter Veldhuis. Can't wait!

Angel

tracy285
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I called Innova about "Pitch Black" a month ago and they said it would be out "soon." Any ideas when that will be?

paulmac
11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Nigel Wood (founder of Saxtet and director of the National Saxophone Choir of Great Britain) is very likely to record a soprillo saxophone CD in the coming year! He has championed the soprillo for a few years now, and played it at the WSC XIV in Slovenia last year with the Sax Choir. He is arranging pieces for soprillo and piano, and may also be doing a duet with Gerard McChrystal (who will be on soprano).

Something to look forward to?!

jazfyrski
11-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Linda Bangs
"Contrasts" (Baritone saxophone and Piano or String Quartet)
Antes CD 8445
--Treiber: Duo for Baritone Saxophone and Piano
--Vivaldi: Sonate No. 1
--Zelenka: Adagio and Allegro
--Garber: Another Twist
etc.
www.musicland-albstadt.de

Simone Otto
"Saxperience" (Saxophone ensembles)
Musicom 5157
--Hartley: Octet
--Dvorak: Serenade, Op. 44
--Matitia: Happy Blues
--Schonfeld: Blow the Tango
etc.
http://musik.ciao.de

Jan Schulte-Bunert
"Let's Dance: Musik fur Saxophon und Klavier" (Alto saxophone and Piano)
CCR 715
--Demersseman: Fantaisie sur un Theme Original
--Schulhoff: Hot-Sonate
--Francaix: Cinq Danses Exotiques
--Ravel: Piece en Forme de Habanera
etc.
www.duosaxpiano.de/jan/

Thanks!

BlueLight
11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I called Innova about "Pitch Black" a month ago and they said it would be out "soon." Any ideas when that will be?
2 years from now.

Steve P
11-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Since my CD was mentioned a few posts above, I thought I would put up a few teaser tracks on my website: http://web.mac.com/page0149/iWeb/StephenPage/Discography.html

Movements III and IV of the Decruck Sonata. If all keeps on track, the release will be in February.

Steve P

sonicthehedgehog
11-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Steve,

You sound wonderful! We have a mutual friend (Michigansax is the soprano player in my quartet) and he's mentioned you're a confirmed BA and i must say, i agree with him. Beautiful sound and musical ideas.

Angel
11-23-2007, 03:01 AM
a confirmed BA

Steve P is definitely a confirmed BA -- BadAss. You also left out black belt saxo ninja.

Angel

jazfyrski
11-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Steve P.:

Your excerpts from the Decruck Sonata (one of my all-time favorites!) are incredible; truly some of the best playing I've ever heard of this piece. Your forthcoming CD is one of my most anticipated releases of next year!

BTW, your accompanist also played with great sensitivity and technique. Didn't see his or her name listed; just curious whom it might be.

jazfyrski
11-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Just received this:

Noah Getz
"Crosscurrents" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor saxophone and Piano)
Albany Records (Troy 971)
--Pertout "Digressioni modali"
--Maros "Rabescatura"
--Bernadon "Song 72"
--Roseman "Partita"
etc.
http://www.noahgetz.com

All new pieces for saxophone. Definitely jazz-influenced and very intriguing.

Steve P
11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. Once my CD is complete, I will be offering a few freebies here on SOTW, so keep an eye out! :)

As for my pianist, thank you for pointing that out. I will have to add that to my website! His name is Cameron Hofmann, and he is one of the most amazing pianists I have worked with. He is a saxophone repertoire specialist as well, which makes working together even better. I know very few people who can play Denisov and KLONOS from memory!

Steve P

mkemp
11-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Excellent work on the cd Steve P. I really enjoyed the 3rd movement of the sonata. Most importantly though, good job for chosing a Mac.

jazfyrski
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Usually, I wait until I actually have a new CD in-hand before I submit a post about it; but this one is potentially too good to warrant a delay. Many of you may want a copy for Christmas!

Jean-Yves Fourmeau
"Rendez-Vous" (alto saxophone and piano)
Airophonic 8008
--Decruck: Sonata in C#
--Franck: Sonata in A Major
http://www.euravent.co.uk/acatalog/Jean_Yves_Fourmeau.html#aCN022

One of my favorite artists playing one of my favorite saxophone pieces---am I dreaming?

Happy holidays!

Steve P
12-10-2007, 12:36 AM
WOW. Just ordered mine.

Great to see more and more the Decruck getting recognition as one of our finest works!!

Steve P

J.Max
12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Just received this:

Noah Getz
"Crosscurrents" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor saxophone and Piano)
Albany Records (Troy 971)
--Pertout "Digressioni modali"
--Maros "Rabescatura"
--Bernadon "Song 72"
--Roseman "Partita"
etc.
http://www.noahgetz.com

All new pieces for saxophone. Definitely jazz-influenced and very intriguing.

I have to ask...is he related to Stan?

And Formeau playing the Decruck? Sounds like a must have, as does your CD, Steve. Put me on the list as I'll take one as soon as it comes out!

jazfyrski
12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
J.Max:

I don't think Noah Getz is related to Stan Getz. It's not mentioned in the liner notes of Dr. (Noah) Getz's new CD nor in the bio and resume on his website: www.noahgetz.com

According to his obituaries, Stan Getz had five children, none named Noah.

You gotta hand it to Adolphe Sax...inventing such a wondrous instrument that both Stan Getz and Jean-Yves Fourmeau (among many others) can find their own unique and beautiful tone through it!

Steve P
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Just got the new Fourmeau.... OUTSTANDING!!!!

Steve P

Rick
12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Care to give us more info on this one? Is it piano and saxo?

Steve P
12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
You're lucky I like you rick... :)

Jean-Yves Fourmeau
"Rendez-Vous" (alto saxophone and piano)
Airophonic 8008
--Decruck: Sonata in C#
http://www.euravent.co.uk/acatalog/J...au.html#aCN022

Steve P

Charlie61554
12-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Where can these recordings be puchased? Amazon? (need more coffee)

Wallace
12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Where can these recordings be puchased? Amazon? (need more coffee)

The Fourmeau recording can be purchased directly from Euravent (check the link in Steve p's post). They ship to the US.

kaspy
12-19-2007, 02:38 AM
I ordered a copy a week ago directly from the man himself. The CD was in my mail box today (Montreal). What a sound! :shock:

jazfyrski
01-06-2008, 08:24 PM
The latest from Greg Banaszak is now available:

"Romances for Saxophone and Orchestra" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Orchestra)
Centaur CRC 2889/90
--Bruzdowicz: Largo for Soprano Saxophone and String Orchestra
--Morgan: Three Vignettes for Alto saxophone and String Orchestra
--Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileras
--Hovhaness: Concerto for Saxophone and Orchestra
--Leatherbarrow: Don Quixote in Love for Soprano Saxophone and Orchestra
etc.
http://www.centaurrecords.com/

Happy New Year!

jazfyrski
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Should have mentioned Professor Banaszak's new CD is expensive; but it is a double CD set.

Thanks!

selmer3man
01-09-2008, 11:46 PM
PRISM's new all-Jacob ter Veldhuis CD is available for order on the Innova website!

www.innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=317

BlueLight
01-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Two CDs in the time span of 3 months, go PRISM!

bezozzi
01-10-2008, 04:11 AM
I just ordered the JacobTV CD and got the Albright CD in about a week and a half ago. Let me just say, if you don't own the albright CD, you need to! Some of the most stunning playing I've ever heard!

Angel
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
How about some orchestral saxophone?

Semyon Bychkov conducts WDR Sinfonie Orchester Koln in Rachmaninoff's "Symphonic Dances" on the Hanssler label.
Daniel Gauthier plays the famous saxophone solo!

(and I also ordered the anxiously awaited Prism Veldhuis CD)

Angel

jazfyrski
01-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Two late 2007 releases available now:

Harry Hindson
"Chamber Music Favorites with Alto Saxophone" (Alto Saxophone with Chamber Ensemble)
(Private Label? HH001)
--Villa-Lobos: Choros No. 7
--Bentzon: Racconto No. 1, Op. 25
--Koechlin: Epitaphe de Jean Harlow
--Dubois: Les Treteaux
www.saxophonicfriends.com
The Bentzon (written for Rascher in 1935) and the Koechlin were originally scored for alto saxophone. The other pieces on this CD were arranged to substitute alto saxophone in place of other instruments. Fresh interpretations played by the very cohesive and intimate La Crosse Chamber Ensemble.

James Steele
"Saxophone in the Sanctuary" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Kurt Kaiser Music KK5018
--(Traditional): Come Down, O Love Divine
--Rachmaninoff: Vocalise
--(Traditional): The Lord's My Shepherd
--Bach: O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
--Dvorak: Going Home
--Beethoven: Pathetique
--(Traditional): The Way of the Cross leads Home
--Ravel: Thou Hidden Source
etc.
www.kurtkaiser.com
An interesting mixture of spirituals, sacred music, and canons of the classical saxophone repetoire. James Steele (the long-time alto saxophone chair of the Washington Saxophone Quartet) plays these pieces with great reverence and a phenomenal tone.

Thanks!

paulmac
01-27-2008, 12:10 AM
PRISM's Pitch Black CD of JacobTV's saxophone works is excellent. Also on JTV's boxset Shining City there are recordings of Tatatata for tenor&baritone with CD (played by two of the Aurelia quartet I think), Billie by Connie Frigo and Arno Bornkamp playing Buku.

PS. I know that this is very pedantic, but if this thread is going to be stickied, could someone (I don't know who, perhaps Drakesaxprof?) please remove the apostrophe from the title of the thread so we have New Saxophone CDs instead of New Saxophone CD's?? I am funny about that kind of thing..!

Angel
01-27-2008, 07:40 AM
PS. I know that this is very pedantic, but if this thread is going to be stickied, could someone (I don't know who, perhaps Drakesaxprof?) please remove the apostrophe from the title of the thread so we have New Saxophone CDs instead of New Saxophone CD's?? I am funny about that kind of thing..!

Stop busting my balls, Paul. I started this thread before I started reading books.;)

I'd do it myself, but I forgot the password to my old screenname....

Angel

srcsax
01-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Stop busting my balls, Paul. I started this thread before I started reading books.;)

Angel

Paul, be nice, We had a hard time getting Angel out of the practice room and to english class.

A.Smith
02-11-2008, 02:18 AM
This is in line with a post I made over a year ago! Received my selmer flyer today and it mentioned the release of Vincent David's debut solo cd. I believe it was launched on the 8th of Feb in Paris.
Details
Vincent David et l'ensemble Quaerendo Invenietis
Dialogue, chemin, recit...
Tracks include:
Boulez: dialogue de l'ombre double
Berio: Chemin IV, Recit (chemin VII), Duos
Webern: Quartet Opus 22

drakesaxprof
02-11-2008, 02:51 AM
I know that this is very pedantic, but if this thread is going to be stickied, could someone (I don't know who, perhaps Drakesaxprof?) please remove the apostrophe from the title of the thread so we have New Saxophone CDs instead of New Saxophone CD's?? I am funny about that kind of thing..!
Done--I aim's to please!
;)

Angel
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
This is in line with a post I made over a year ago! Received my selmer flyer today and it mentioned the release of Vincent David's debut solo cd. I believe it was launched on the 8th of Feb in Paris.
Details
Vincent David et l'ensemble Quaerendo Invenietis
Dialogue, chemin, recit...
Tracks include:
Boulez: dialogue de l'ombre double
Berio: Chemin IV, Recit (chemin VII), Duos
Webern: Quartet Opus 22

Whoa.

Angel

Wallace
02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Done--I aim's to please!
;)

Great, now please change your Avatar professor. It's creepy.

Angel
02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Great, now please change your Avatar professor. It's creepy.

Way to bash our moderator's new headshot, Wallace!

Angel

Wallace
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Way to bash our moderator's new headshot, Wallace!

Angel

I meant no offense. Suppose I have no room to criticize.

A.Smith
02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Somewhere to purchase the David from

http://www.cdmail.fr/gb/affich_fich.asp?refcdm=CDM797451

A.Smith
02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I just went to order the cd and it's only 15 euro, but it would cost 50 euro's for postage to Australia!!!!

kurisaxo
02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Vincent David's CD is also available at iTunes store.

A.Smith
02-12-2008, 02:47 AM
done!

KCSaxophone
03-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Vincent David's CD is also available at iTunes store.

I just listend to the samples on itunes. Does he play the Berio sequenza with an ensemble accompaniment? #13 sounds like it.

A.Smith
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
He doesn't do the sequenza's but two of the Chemin's series which do have ensemble accompaniment.

KCSaxophone
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM
He doesn't do the sequenza's but two of the Chemin's series which do have ensemble accompaniment.

I just listened to the whole thing and track 13: "Récit (Chemins Vll)" is actually Berio's sequenza IXb with an orchestra accompaniment. I didn't know Berio wrote orchestra parts for this, but it sounds neat. Anyone know more about this?

bezozzi
03-16-2008, 01:59 AM
I just listened to the whole thing and track 13: "Récit (Chemins Vll)" is actually Berio's sequenza IXb with an orchestra accompaniment. I didn't know Berio wrote orchestra parts for this, but it sounds neat. Anyone know more about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciano_Berio#Transcriptions_and_arrangements

One thing I'd like to note about this cd... It's extremely interesting listening to the chamber pieces included throughout the disc. These were written by Berio, and it really shows a completely different side of him many of us may or most likely don't know. After reading this wikipedia article, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Angel
03-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Just got the CD, and have to say that this is some of the best saxophone playing I've ever heard.

Angel

jazfyrski
04-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Some recent releases:

Masato Kumoi
"Saxopet!" (Soprano/Alto Saxophone and Trumpet with Piano)
Cryston OVCC-00048
--Rivier: Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Trumpet
--Ito: Fantasy on a Theme for Saxophone, Flugelhorn, and Piano
--Tokunaga: Letters from Waters
etc.
A very talented young Japanese saxophonist who studied at NW with Frederick Hemke. This CD features music written for a duet of saxophone and trumpet. Appealing not just because of the unique instrumentation and "unusual" repetoire, but also for the great musicianship of the duo.

Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments Ensemble
"Original Saxophones: Collection Series 12" (SATB individually with Piano and as a Quartet)
Kojima Recordings LMCD-1836
--Mussorgsky: Il Vecchio Castello
--Satie: Je te Veux
--Schubert: Ave Maria
--Bach: Air
--Glazunov: Quartet, Op. 109
--Singelee: Premier Quatuor
etc.
A real gem. Not the most challenging music, but a wonderful opportunity to hear original Adolphe Sax saxophones from 1859-60 played luminously and beautifully recorded. The piano on this CD is an 85-key Erard (1874) to boot!

(Sorry about not providing vendor links with the two CDs above; I don't find them listed yet by my usual internet sources. I recently bought these CDs in separate woodwind specialty shops in Tokyo.)

And for those unaware of its release announcement in the latest NASA newsletter:

Farrell Vernon
"The Forgotten Saxophone" (Sopranino Saxophone and Piano/Organ)
AUR CD 3136
http://www.aurec.com
--Hanson: Fantasy
--Hartley: Soliloquy and Scherzo
--Boismortier: Sonata in E minor
--Ator: Suite for Sopranino Saxophone and Percussion
etc.
An all-Sopranino saxophone program. Original pieces commissioned by the artist plus some transcriptions perfectly suited to the sopranino. Agile playing of a saxophone with the "difficult-to-play" reputation. The artist is committed to a James Houlik-like quest to champion the sopranino.

Enjoy!

jazfyrski
04-08-2008, 03:07 AM
How can I forget!

While in Japan, I got credible reports that TWO new recordings by Nobuya Sugawa are scheduled for release this spring.

One is a program of arias from well-known operas with the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra.

The other, possibly on the Chandos label, features saxophone concerti accompanied by the BBC Philharmonic. I know that Sugawa has an earlier CD of concerti with the same ensemble; but I think that this is a new recording with a completely different program.

I'll keep everyone posted; meanwhile, does anyone else have more details about these CDs?

Angel
04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
New Century Saxophone Quartet
"On Track; Commissions Vol. 2" from Alanna Records
-Jacob ter Veldhuis: Heartbreakers
-Barbara Kolb: Franciscan Chant
-David Lang: Revolutionary Etudes
-John Fitz Rogers: Prodigal Child
-Ben Johnston: O Waly Waly Variations

Hot. Especially the Lang and Rogers. The Kolb is beautiful. F... just buy the CD.

Claus Olesen
"A Case of Music" from Classico (Denmark)
-Debussy: Petite Suite
-Saint-Saens: Sonata (oboe) Op. 166
-Maurice: Tableaux de Provence
-Poulenc: Sonata (oboe)
-Borne: Carmen Fantasy (flute)

Uncommon sensitivity, fine arrangements, artistic execution. Not so much tour-de-force as substantiative interpretation of the more standard items. A rare fresh interpretation of French music on saxo.

While in Japan, I got credible reports that TWO new recordings by Nobuya Sugawa are scheduled for release this spring.

One is a program of arias from well-known operas with the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra.

The other, possibly on the Chandos label, features saxophone concerti accompanied by the BBC Philharmonic.

Great to hear from you Michael, and can't wait to hear these Sugawa releases! Trust all is well with you, and looking forward to more of your contributions.

Angel

jazfyrski
04-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Hot off the presses!

Douglas Masek
"EclectSax" (Saxophone/Clarinet and Orchestra or Guitar)
Centaur CRC 2865
--Morosco: Blue Caprice
--Rohani: Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra
--McIntosh: Sonatina for Alto Saxophone and Piano
etc.
http://www.centaurrecords.com

Saxophone professor at UCLA and CSU Long Beach with his third--if I'm counting correctly--CD in two years. True virtuosity with clarinet and saxophone; not a doubler but a real artist with both instruments. A good title for this CD: an eclectic program with varied accompaniment (or none at all).

Martin Piecuch
"Sax with Strings Attached" (Alto/Sopranino Saxophone and String Quartet)
Boston Records BR 1072
--Stein: Quintet for Saxophone and String Quartet
--Staellert: Bestiare pour Saxophone Alto et Violoncelle
--Maasz: Divertimento for Sopranino Saxophone and Strinq Quartet
etc.
http://www.vcisinc.com/saxophonecds.htm

The jewel-case features a Kenneth Radnofsky quote about Piecuch's magnificent yet "under-the-radar" playing. Sparkling readings from a former saxophone soloist of the vaunted U.S. Marine Band, better known lately as a conductor and educator.

Alan Durst
"Tangos y Serenatas" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone with Guitar)
Centaur CRC 2901
--Piazzolla: Histoire du Tango
--Carlson: Two Ballads
--Boone: Joropo Jam
etc.
http://www.alandurst.com/perf.cfm

A very talented saxophonist (with a gorgeous soprano saxophone tone!) with a mostly latin-tinged program. The guitar accompaniment makes it very compelling. Hmmm...several recent saxophone-with-guitar CDs and the just-ended Festival for Guitar and Saxophone at UNC-Wilmington. Are we seeing a trend?

James Romain
"In Friendship" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Centaur CRC 2916
--Noda: Mai
--Denisov: Sonate
etc.
http://centaurrecords.com

A very exciting and versatile player/pedagogue (and moderator of the SOTW classical saxophone forum, I believe) with fresh readings of some of the canons of the literature. I've been waiting for this one since he mentioned it in his website a while ago.

BTW, thanks, Angel, for your kind words. I've sent my deposit and will be attending the Wildacres retreat this summer. Really looking forward to talking and learning from you again!

Angel
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
CDs just released:

David Camwell CD "Aeterna" - works by Schumann, Bach, Lennon, Albrecht, Galante, Ott, Brown, Paganini.
http://www.davecamwell.com
http://www.tealcreekmusic.com

Glass Farm Ensemble (incl Taimur Sullivan, saxo ninja) has just released a new CD "In Four", available direct from Innova label.
http://innova.mu/artist1.asp?skuID=321
http://www.taimursullivan.com
Just ordered mine!

Angel

drakesaxprof
04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
CDs just released:

David Camwell CD "Aeterna" - works by Schumann, Bach, Lennon, Albrecht, Galante, Ott, Brown, Paganini.
http://www.davecamwell.com
http://www.tealcreekmusic.com

Dave's a good friend, a very fine player, and plays with me in the Oasis Saxophone Quartet with James Bunte and Nathan Nabb. Shameless self-promotion: I play with Dave on the Bach Double Concerto on his Aeterna CD.

AntonVonWebern
04-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the Glass Farm Ensemble recommendation, just Dl`d the album from Emusic, I like the pieces by Yvonne Troxler a lot so far (nice shapes, well paced).

Interesting/original instrumentation too, made me think about using electric guitar in a piece perhaps, will look out for more from them (less into the ones with drums at the moment, will have to listen more)

tracy285
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Just released:

Nobuya Sugawa plays Yoshimatsu, Honda, Ibert & Larsson
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/newreleases.php?&page=3
also available on iTunes

Michigansax
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Um. Ok. I just bought the whole album on itunes and the allegro molto of the ibert is cut in half. wtf???

Steve P
05-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Me too! And everything else abruptly ends!!!! Whats up?!
Steve P

Michigansax
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I sent a complaint into iTunes and I got a reply this morning saying that they are refunding my $ and putting it under investigation. If you go to Chandos's website, you can download it there for it looks like the same price.

Michigansax
05-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Nevermind. Its like $17. Freaking US dollar.

tracy285
05-04-2008, 04:14 PM
How do you send a complaint?

Rick
05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I was going to make a new thread discussion about this but since it has appeared as an issue here, I question your opinion about buying classical or contemporary music on iTunes or other downloading sources? Personally, I think with music of such high quality and nuance, you're really cheating yourself out and missing the highest fidelity and quality possible when making purchases of classical/contemporary music over iTunes. I'm afraid I'm becoming like my music history teacher and I'll eventually be buried in a basement full of CD's but truth be told, I enjoy holding the CD in my hand, looking through the insert and knowing that the CD I own has the highest quality sound available next to hearing it live, instead of the 128 bit rate that iTunes sells you.

Michigansax
05-04-2008, 08:55 PM
How do you send a complaint?

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/

Go to check your purchase history. From there you can sent a complaint.

Angel
05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
I was going to make a new thread discussion about this but since it has appeared as an issue here, I question your opinion about buying classical or contemporary music on iTunes or other downloading sources? Personally, I think with music of such high quality and nuance, you're really cheating yourself out and missing the highest fidelity and quality possible when making purchases of classical/contemporary music over iTunes. I'm afraid I'm becoming like my music history teacher and I'll eventually be buried in a basement full of CD's but truth be told, I enjoy holding the CD in my hand, looking through the insert and knowing that the CD I own has the highest quality sound available next to hearing it live, instead of the 128 bit rate that iTunes sells you.

Me too. Maybe that's the turning point that makes me old, but I think I might stand my ground on this one. I'm happy to spend a few extra bucks not only to have the true physical specimen in my museum but also the true depth of sound, which I do appreciate, whether or not others deem the difference less significant. If it were up to me, albums would still be released on LP simultaneous with CD just for sound quality's sake. I'm a child of the CD era, but the LPs really turn my table.

Steve P
05-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, If I do buy a digital copy of something, I always end up buying the physical CD later on. I've bought 4-5 CDs on iTunes in the last two months, and have already bought the real deal's as well... I'm just bad at waiting for the post!

Rick and I had the same music history teacher, who had a CD/LP collection to be envied: 100,000 CDs and 15,000 Lps. Amazing. He and I both used to check out all the used CD/Record stores in Minneapolis. We also used to argue openly in history class about how the saxophone IS (me) or IS NOT (a classical instrument). One day, I saw him in Cheapo, a well known used record store. In the classical section, there was an actual, honest to god 'Classical Saxophone' section!! I asked him if he would come look at something for me... I pointed it out, and he just laughed. It was pretty funny. If a used record store recognized classical saxophone, so should he! He's an absolutely brilliant teacher too.

Steve P

kaspy
05-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Not sure this is new:
J.S.Bach: The 6 Cello suites played on the Baritone by Henk van Twillert.
Brilliant Classics 2 CDs set.

jazfyrski
05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Just my comments about the new Nobuya Sugawa CD:

There's been recent discussions about the "Saxophone Concertos" release on Chandos featuring the Ibert, Larsson, and two premieres: Takashi Yoshimatsu's "Albireo Mode" for soprano saxophone and Toshiki Honda's "Concerto du Vent". I'm sorry to learn about the problems with this recording in its iTunes version. I've always purchased the actual CD and have never downloaded from iTunes; I guess I'm "old school", too!

Although Mr. Sugawa is in my personal "top five list" of classical saxophonists and although I like this new release, I do have one significant issue (or question) with it: the liner notes go on and on about the controversy regarding the altissimo in the Ibert, and implies that the altissimo is now an accepted dimension of this piece. It concludes by stating many performers today play the altissimo "...just as Ibert had intended." So imagine my surprise that Mr. Sugawa performs the Ibert on this new CD without the altissimo! It's even more astonishing because he handles the altissimo on the Larsson with his typical aplomb.

I haven't yet exhaustively compared Mr. Sugawa's latest version of the Ibert with his 1996 recording of the same with the Philharmonia Orchestra (on the EMI Classics label), by my initial impression is that with the exception of slightly reduced tempi for all three movements and a much narrower, subtle vibrato in the new version, there's not much of a difference. I expected more, especially after Claude Delangle's magnificent reading on his recent "Under the Sign of the Sun" CD. Maybe it's just me..

BlueLight
05-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Did they fix the problem on iTunes yet? That is, for the Sugawa CD.

tracy285
05-10-2008, 01:11 AM
It seems to have been taken off of iTunes. Or maybe I just can't find it.

Michigansax
05-10-2008, 03:10 AM
My iTunes account was credited and they pulled the CD. Hopefully, it'll be back up in its entirety soon!

jazfyrski
05-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Two other new CDs I've just received:

Amy Dickson
"Smile" (Alto saxophone and Piano)
Sony/BMG 88697203072
--Rachmaninov: Vocalise
--Piazzolla: Ave Maria
--Elgar: Salut d' Amour
--Wiedoeft: Valse Vanite
--Chaplin: Smile
etc.
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=saxophone

Ms. Dickson has won a boatload of competition honors in her native Australia and in the UK. You'd expect her to have plenty of technique, which she does; but she also shows a poise and interpretive sophistication that belies her age. Lovely pieces all in this, her major-label debut, but I look forward to hear her tackle a more adventurous repetoire (or perhaps a re-release of a CD she recorded in 2004 which featured, among others, Turnage's Two Elegies, Demerssemann's Fantaisie, and the Larsson Concerto).

Nobuya Sugawa
"Arias" (Alto/Soprano saxophone with Orchestra)
Avex AVCL-25192
--Puccini: Il Bacio di Tosca
--Bellini: "Casta Diva" from Norma
--Saint-Saens: "Mon couer s' ouevre a ta voix" from Samson et Dalila
--Puccini: "O Mio babinno caro" from Gianni Schicchi
--Puccini: "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot
etc.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/index.asp?lang=en

This is a program perfectly suited for Mr. Sugawa; with his tone, technique, and love of expressive lyricism, he may have no peers when interpreting great arias accompanied by a first-class orchestra (The Tokyo Symphony). This beautifully recorded CD doesn't stretch any boundaries for classical saxophone, but it is emotionally engaging.

Thanks!

A.Smith
05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
This is a not yet released but a soon to be. When Claude gave his masterclass in Sydney on Monday he said that his new cd is with a sweedish wind band and includes: Creston Concerto, Williams Escapades and Boutry Divertimento.

kaspy
05-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.
"The Old Castle" is played by Fourmeau.

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasedetails.php?rid=45685

Angel
05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.
"The Old Castle" is played by Fourmeau.

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasedetails.php?rid=45685

Just out of curiosity, what is your source on this info?

Angel

kaspy
05-16-2008, 05:14 PM
It's on the website of Fourmeau:

http://jeanyves.fourmeau.free.fr/sitefrancais.htm

Angel
05-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the link!! I didn't realize that JYF had a new website.

Just ordered the CD. Thank you again for letting me know.

Angel

kaspy
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
My pleasure.
After all, I bought so many CDs after reading about them on this site!

jazfyrski
05-20-2008, 03:17 AM
These four arrived today so I haven't had a chance to audition them for my initial impressions. But here goes:

Joaquin Franco-Pallas
"Sax O Fons" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Dahiz DAHIZ031
--De Falla: 7 Spanish Folksongs
--Bayer: Song of Venice
--Franco: Ballad of the Gypsy
--Iturralde
etc.
http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/

Christian Peters
"Sigfried Karg-Elert: 25 Caprices and Sonatas" (Solo Alto Saxophone)
MDG 1000958
--(All Karg-Elert solo pieces)
http://www.mdg.de/

Javier Oviedo
"The Classical Saxophone: A French Love Story" (Alto Saxophone and Orchestra)
MSR Classics MS1288
--Hure: Consertstuck
--Grovlez: Suite
--Glazunov: Concerto, Op. 109
--Mayeur: Grande Fantaisie Brillante
etc.
http://www.msrcd.com/1288/1288.html

Grupo Sax-Ensemble
"Denisov: Musique pour Saxophone" (Alto Saxophone/Saxophone Quartet with Ensemble)
Verso B0017LI8KK
--All Denisov:
Sonata for Saxophone and Cello
Sonata for Saxophone and Piano
Quartet for 4 Saxophones and Piano
etc.
http://www.amazon.fr/Denisov-musique-pour-saxophone-Edison/dp/B0017LI8KK

Thanks!

kaspy
05-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Anybody knows (or heard) something about those play-along CDs by Sugawa?

http://www.dehaske.com/index.php?task=shop&stask=plist&from=advance&page=0

kaspy
05-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Oops, sorry, seems the link is not complete.
After choosing a language, just type "Sugawa" in the "Quick search" box.

jazfyrski
06-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Three more excellent CDs for everyone to consider:

Joseph Wytko
"Recital Music for Saxophone" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Brewster Records (possibly a re-master of an out-of-print LP)
--Husa: Elegie et Rondeau
--Noda: Improvisation III
--Anderson: Sonata, Op. 10
--Bassett: Music for Saxophone and Piano
etc.
http://www.josephwytkosaxophone.com/discography.html
(downloadable (is that a word?!) via iTunes or available as a CD directly from Professor Wytko)

Miho Nakagawa
"Hymne a l' Amour" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
Soleil SOL-0102
--Bach: Badiniere
--Milhaud: Scaramouche
--Satie: Je Te Veux
--Elgar: Salut d' Amour
etc.
http://www.nakagawa-miho.com/

Christian Forshaw
"Reflections of France" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
ING CD1002
--Boutry: Divertimento
--Planel: Prelude et Saltarelle
--Grolvez: Sarabande et Allegro
--Jolivet: Fantaisie - Impromptu
http://www.christianforshaw.com/index.html

Thanks!

Angel
06-15-2008, 05:19 AM
That Wytko is definitely a digitalization of his LP of the same name.

Thanks for the Forshaw update. I love his playing and what he does with Sanctuary, and am curious as to his interpretation of traditional recital stuff.

Angel

A.Smith
06-15-2008, 12:12 PM
for a sample of the Forshaw check out his myspace site
http://www.myspace.com/christianforshaw

Angel
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
The Michael Nyman Band saxo regulars Rob Buckland, our own David Roach, Simon Haram, and Andy Findon are recording a CD of Michael Nyman quartet works due out at the end of the year!!

Angel

A.Smith
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Solid line up!

Michigansax
07-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Chandos just released a CD of concertos by Edward Gregson. Sugawa plays the sax concerto with the BBC orch. Available at itunes.

Michigansax
08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Daniel Gauthier informed me that the Alliage Quintet's new CD "Masquerade" will come out next month in Europe. He wasn't specific on what was gonna be on it but does it really matter?

Angel
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Gauthier told me months ago that they were planning on recording Wijnand van Klaveren's arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov "Scheherazade" for SQ/piano.

I agree, it doesn't matter what they're playing, they're f'ing unbelievable.

(but I'd love to hear that Scheherazade......Gauthier playing the violin solos......)

Angel

Bari Sax Giant
09-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Hello, all.

This may be a little early for your holiday shopping season, but the Indianapolis Saxophone Quartet released a CD of Christmas music last year. I think it came out pretty well, and hope you get a chance to check it out!

Thanks,

Karl

http://cdbaby.com/cd/indianapolissq

jazfyrski
09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Hello, everyone. Three new releases you may be interested in (a few more to follow shortly):

Kazuyuki Hayashida
"Lessons of the Sky" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone with Piano)
Cafua CACG-0120
--Rogers: Lessons of the Sky
--Dobbins: Sonata
--Dobbins: Echoes of a Distant Land
--Kitakata: Time
--Peck: Drastic Measures
http://www.cafua.com/

A member of Masato Kumoi's saxophone quartet. Hard to describe exactly, but seems to play slightly "outside" the usual interpretations of the Rogers, Dobbins, and, especially, the Creston. Very compelling work. The "bonus" is his own quartet's version of Peck's spectacular "Drastic Measures".

Jerome Laran
"Impressions d' Automne" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
Cafua CACG-0119
--Debussy: Rhapsodie
--Ravel: Sonatine
--Milhaud: Scaramouche
--Poulenc: Trio
--Leroux: SPP
--Caplet: Impressions d' Automne
http://www.cafua.com/

Yet another young French virtuoso out of the Paris Conservatoire. Standard readings of the standards...which isn't really a criticism; but, certainly, the most exciting piece here is Leroux's edgy and memorable "SPP". This CD also features Hiroshi Hara on tenor saxophone for the Poulenc piece. I'll take any opportunity to hear him play!

Jeffrey Wilson
"Semplice: From Beautiful Beginnings..." (Soprano/Alto/Tenor Saxophone with Piano)
Saxophone Classics CS 4001
--Tchaikovsky: Chason Triste
--Rachmaninov: Romance
--Heath: Gentle Dreams
--Scott: Tango
--Gurewich: Czardas
--Faure: Apres un Reve
--Naulais: Coconotes
--Crepin: Celine Mandarine
etc.
http://saxophoneclassics.com/

An extensive collection of "miniature" pieces. All very melodic and appealing. Jeffrey Wilson simply has to play them with a gorgeous tone and with an expressive, vocal quality---which he does. BTW, there is a very exciting mention by Stephen Cottrell in the liner notes of this recording: apparently, this label plans to release recordings of past masters including Mule, Deffayet, and Rascher! Can't wait for that to happen!

Thanks and happy listening!

kaspy
09-11-2008, 02:55 AM
The Prazak String quartet has released a CD including, among other pieces, the Quintet for Saxophone and String quartet by Feld.

According to the French magazine "Le Monde de la Musique" (September issue), the saxo part is played by Raaf Hekkema, although I did not find any word about it on his website.

http://www.prazakquartet.com/news

Angel
09-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Alliage Quintett (THE Daniel Gauthier and friends) released their Masquerade CD -- music of Vivaldi and Bach. Sony Classical label. Available from Amazon.com. Pre-ordered mine last week.....

www.alliage.de

Angel

MBBari
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
There's a brand new SOPRILLO CD out now as well! It's Nigel Woods Soprillogy. Really does feature a lot of fantastic playing which should keep all you doubters quiet!

http://www.saxtetpublications.com/catalogue/viewrecording.php?id=295

jazfyrski
10-17-2008, 03:38 AM
A brand new one to report:

Brian Horner
"Serenade: Music for Saxophone and Piano" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Sound Artist Records 36473
(All by M. Zachary Johnson)
--Adagio for Alto Saxophone and Piano
--Serenade for Solo Saxophone
--Scherzo for Alto Saxophone and Piano
--Grand Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano
--Solitude (for Solo Piano)
http://cdbaby.com/cd/horneravery

The same duo recorded many of these pieces in a "live" CD at Steinway Hall. This CD, recorded sans audience, loses none of the excitement of the earlier CD. M. Zachary Johnson's music is immediately intriguing and refreshing if only because it is so unabashedly tonal and romantic. But accessible, in this case, doesn't mean simplistic; the harmonies and rhythms show careful craftsmanship. The "old" is new again!

Thanks!

mkemp
10-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Sigurd Rascher's von Koch concerto was released on iTunes today.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=290894141&s=143441

paulmac
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Alliage Quintett (THE Daniel Gauthier and friends) released their Masquerade CD -- music of Vivaldi and Bach. Sony Classical label. Available from Amazon.com. Pre-ordered mine last week.....

www.alliage.de

Nice playing, just a shame that according to their website they have 3 CDs released, all of which are arrangements.
They're an awesome quartet, they should be taking the genre forward with some new music.

Rick
10-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Nice playing, just a shame that according to their website they have 3 CDs released, all of which are arrangements.
They're an awesome quartet, they should be taking the genre forward with some new music.

I disagree. You can't take that genre of music forward anymore because it's dead.. Furthermore, I think it's the point of that quartet to specialize in this genre of music just as it for others to commission and play new pieces. No one said any performer has to be balanced in that respect to be successful and in fact, you'll find performers who do specialize in an area to be more successful because of their expertise in that area, i.e. Daniel Kientzy, baroque flutists, vocal ensembles specializing in early music, etc. To frown upon someone for playing a certain repertoire, in this case classical, makes no sense. Either way they are representing the instrument, our instrument the saxophone and showing its diverse possibilities as an instrument to casual listeners and composers alike. Quite frankly, there aren't enough quartets/soloists who specialize in performing classical repertoire and I wish there were because there are already more than enough "new music" makers out there and the "forward" which you are referring to is already being taken care of.

A.Smith
10-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I disagree. You can't take that genre of music forward anymore because it's dead..

??????

Rick
10-26-2008, 02:02 AM
??????

In other words, it's not composed for anymore.

A.Smith
10-27-2008, 04:01 AM
I think paulmac was trying to state that they should be having new music written for saxophone quartet (or with piano). The question marks were because I believed you implied that the saxophone quartet was a dead genre.

Sebastien from Alliage used to be a member of Ensemble Atmosphere. This group went through Bordeaux and had a number of new works written form them.

Rick
10-27-2008, 05:32 AM
I think paulmac was trying to state that they should be having new music written for saxophone quartet (or with piano). The question marks were because I believed you implied that the saxophone quartet was a dead genre.

Sebastien from Alliage used to be a member of Ensemble Atmosphere. This group went through Bordeaux and had a number of new works written form them.

Right, exactly. I understood what he meant. My argument was that this particular quartet is not interested in having new works written for them, rather they are a period performing quartet. Some ensembles have certain artistic visions or mission statements, etc., and my point was simply that the Alliage quartet is a classical period performing ensemble committed to bringing this type of music to audiences. It is not a new music quartet interested in the commissioning of new works. I think your statement about Sebastian further strengthens my argument as that particular ensemble he was involved with had a different mission and WAS interested in new works. Two different ensembles with two different artistic directions both equally justified.

A.Smith
10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
My argument was that this particular quartet is not interested in having new works written for them, rather they are a period performing quartet... It is not a new music quartet interested in the commissioning of new works.

The ensemble does not just limit themselves to performing transcriptions. While these have been the feature of their recordings to date the ensemble regularly performs music by the like of Ligeti and Xenakis.

They do not pigeon hole themselves as an ensemble or limit their artistic possibilities.

Rick
10-28-2008, 02:13 AM
The ensemble does not just limit themselves to performing transcriptions. While these have been the feature of their recordings to date the ensemble regularly performs music by the like of Ligeti and Xenakis.

They do not pigeon hole themselves as an ensemble or limit their artistic possibilities.

Really? Where are the programs? Did they commission those pieces? Regardless my case still lies. An ensemble DOES NOT have to play everything out there and multiple genres of music out there to be successful. Further, someone is not limited for doing only one thing, they are specialized. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

A.Smith
10-28-2008, 03:11 AM
http://www.alliage.de/ensemble/

jazfyrski
11-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Three more brand-new recordings:

Per Friberg (DuoFriberg)
"The Sound of DuoFriberg" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Percussion)
--Carroll: Chillin' and Moppin'
--Maslanka: Song Book
--Mendelssohn: Lieder
--Yuyama: Divertimento for Alto Saxophone and Marimba
--Iturralde: Pequenza Czarda
etc.
http://duofriberg.nu/index_en.html

Shin-Ichiro Hikosaka and Yasushi Arai
"6 Caprices" (Alto/Tenor Saxophone Duo)
Meister Music MM-2024
--Leclair: Sonate en Ut pour Deux Saxophones Seuls
--Bach: Invention, BWV 777
--Mozart: Duet #3 (Sonata, K454)
--Dubois: 24 Duos pour Saxophone, Op. 186
etc.
http://www.meister-music.com/new.html

Lars Mlekusch
"Saxophone Spaces" (Soprano/Alto/Baritone Saxophone and Electronics or Ensemble)
EZ 07-8165432
--Berio: Sequenza VIIb
--Lee: Viv for Saxophone and Electronics
--Kyburz: Cells for Solo Saxophone
--Heiniger: Desafinado for Saxophone
etc.
http://lars.mlekusch.net/

Great new CDs to add to your library!

Ian Stewart
11-14-2008, 11:03 AM
A new Cd featuring four works of mine has just been released on the Music Chamber label :

www.music-chamber.com (http://www.music-chamber.com)

Two of the compositions feature Kyle Horch playing classical saxophone : San Gejtanu for soprano saxophone, 6 violins and 2 violas; and Electric Clouds for alto saxophone, violin and piano.

There are audio samples on the label's web site above.

There is also information on my web site at :

www.surfforms.co.uk (http://www.surfforms.co.uk)

If you need any more information please email me.

Many thanks,

Ian

Olli-Pekka
11-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Metallifonia (Olli-Pekka Tuomisalo, saxes & Risto-Matti Marin, piano) has released a CD titled "Far Beyond the Sun". Includes works by Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Led Zeppelin and Stone. It can be ordered from www.ollipekkatuomisalo.com or straight from
olli-pekka.tuomisalo@kolumbus.fi
Live video clips from a Sibelius Academy concert: www.youtube.com/ollipekkatuomisalo
Metallifonia will be on a U.S. tour in October / November 2009.

Angel
11-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Metallifonia (Olli-Pekka Tuomisalo, saxes & Risto-Matti Marin, piano) has released a CD titled "Far Beyond the Sun". Includes works by Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Led Zeppelin and Stone. It can be ordered from www.ollipekkatuomisalo.com or straight from
olli-pekka.tuomisalo@kolumbus.fi
Live video clips from a Sibelius Academy concert: www.youtube.com/ollipekkatuomisalo
Metallifonia will be on a U.S. tour in October / November 2009.

That sounds awesome!!!!!!!!

Angel

jazfyrski
11-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Just sent in my payment for this one!

Clifford Leaman (RoseWind Duo)
"Release" (Saxophone and Marimba)
Equilibrium CD92
--Kopetzki: Shadows of Wood
--Rogers: Release
--Siskind: Memoriale
--Blake: Nine Etudes
etc.
http://www.equilibri.com/recordings/rec_92.eq

Clifford Leaman is a supremely accomplished artist who deserves a much higher profile. Check out, for example, "Illuminations" and "Excursions"; he's able to play demanding contemporary pieces and appealing transcriptions with equal aplomb.

Thanks!

Angel
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks to forum member MStraus for informing me this morning. I've been waiting for this one for quite a while:

Gary Louie - Classic Saxophone Concertos
Helicon KL5150
-Glazunov Concerto
-Carmen Fantasy (arr. Louie)
-Rachmaninov Vocalise
-Martin Ballade
-Schumann Traumerei
Vladimir Lande conducts St Petersberg State Academic Orchestra.
http://www.heliconrecords.com/classical-music-recording.aspx?recording=KL5150

Angel

jazfyrski
12-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Fantastic news about Gary Louie's latest; thanks, Angel!

This much-welcomed release reminded me of other long-anticipated recordings. Does anybody anywhere have any updates about these "AWOL" CDs?

James Bunte, "(Works of Ida Gotkovsky)"
Jonathan Helton, "American Music for Saxophone and Piano"
James Houlik, "On the Wings of Song"
Timothy McAllister, "Towers of Power"
Federico Mondelci, "Musica Francese per Sassofono e Pianoforte"
Stephen Page, "Holy Roller"
Debra Richtmeyer, "Classics for Saxophone and Piano"
Nobuya Sugawa/Kenneth Tse, "(Untitled Duets)"

Thanks!

Angel
12-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I just got Gary's CD in the mail this morning. Unbelievable. Absolutely ridiculous. Everything is just so incredibly sensitive and beautifully shaped. The hard stuff is executed with explosiveness and total control. Just wonderful listening -- fresh interpretations of the standard stuff. I'll be checking back in with this one very often.

Highest recommendation. Totally made my day.

Angel

Rackety Sax
01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Not new but I don't recall seeing it posted before:

Aurelia Saxophone Quartet - Two to Tango

PortlandSax
01-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Sigurd Rascher's von Koch concerto was released on iTunes today.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=290894141&s=143441

YAY!!!!

.....and i was about to go order it from some swedish company..... :)

bezozzi
01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I picked up the new PRISM cd last night at their performance at NCSA (The one with the Mackey and Bolcom concerto). Amazing CD. I didn't see it listed out on Innova's website yet, but It's absoultely superb playing and well worth the cost!

drakesaxprof
01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I picked up the new PRISM cd last night at their performance at NCSA (The one with the Mackey and Bolcom concerto). Amazing CD. I didn't see it listed out on Innova's website yet, but It's absoultely superb playing and well worth the cost!
Did they play Mark Engebretson's piece for quartet and flute?

bezozzi
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Did they play Mark Engebretson's piece for quartet and flute?

Yes they did. The first three movements, at least. There are still two more to be written.

I've always been a huge fan of his writing, and this didn't disappoint me in the least!

kaspy
01-20-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't remember reading about it here, but there's a new CD by Claude Delangle, on BIS, called "Japanese Love Songs".

I bought a copy in my local shop today (not opened it yet!!!) but, funny enough, it is still not listed neither on Delangle's website nor on Bis' website.
On the following link it is said to be released on 2 February.
So does that make the first one to by it?8-)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISCD1630

Steve P
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Funny, I saw that CD on NAXOS yesterday; It's wonderful! I'm a big Delangle fan...

Steve P

jazfyrski
01-30-2009, 02:30 AM
I bought five new CDs recently. So far I've listened to the following three:

Koryun Asatryan
"Fortezza" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Accordion)
CLCL 110
--Piazzolla: Otono Porteno
--Lauba: Jungle
--Monti: Csardas
--Plaza: Nocturna
--Tanada: Mysterious Morning III
etc.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/5505641?rk=classic&rsk=hitlist

The second release by the protege of the great Daniel Gauthier. His debut album was, in my opinion, a lot of technical fireworks without bringing much light and warmth to the music. He's made an impressive growth with this recording in terms of artistic expression and adventurous repetoire. The accordion accompaniment is less dense than you'd hear with the piano and seems to give the saxophone more lift and, paradoxically, weight.

Christopher Brellochs
"Apotheosis of the Saxophone" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
(Private label?)
--Worley: Sonata
--Gotkovsky: Brillance
--Lauba: Neuf Etudes
--Caravan: Fantasy Piece
--Lamb: Sonata
etc.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/brellochs

A solid effort. Nothing spectacular in the interpretations, but sets a worthy benchmark from which to judge any future releases by this artist. His website includes audio samples of his jazz work. I found those clips, although brief, to be even more compelling.

Masato Ikegami
"Frissons" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
Meister Music MM 2028
--Demersseman: Fantaisie sur un Theme Original
--Naulais: Frissons
--Woods: Sonata
--Joel: Honesty
http://www.meister-music.com/new.html

A young Japanese saxophonist shows a solid technique coupled with bravura--albeit conventional--interpretations of the standard repetoire. Sound familiar? I'm hoping his next recording (and those of his fellow countrymen) might mine some of the rich vein of contemporary Japanese compositions. And about the Billy Joel song...I would love to say Ikegami-san gave such a sublime reading that it transformed the piece (like Amy Dickson did with Chaplin's "Smile"), but...nope. :)

Thanks!

jazfyrski
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Okay...three more just released!

Jean-Denis Michat
"Poco una Voce Fa" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor Saxophone and Piano)
Editions Robert Martin CD 00058
--Bizet: Air des Gitans
--Offenbach: Barcarolle
--Gounod: Je Veux Vivre
--Delibes: Duo des Fleurs
--Bellini: Casta Diva
etc.
http://edrmartin.com/?action=41&edit=26944

IMO, M. Michat is in that very small pantheon worthy of consideration as "Best Living Classical Saxophonist". Totally superb in every element of music-making. It's just too bad his recordings are not widely available. Also of interest: his self-penned liner notes (translated in English) starts off as an apologia--of sorts--for this program of aria transcriptions, but then develops into a thoughtful essay that adds a different perspective to the (seemingly!) endless debate about transcriptions vs. contemporary, saxophone-specific pieces.

Susan Fancher
"In Two Worlds" (Soprano/Alto Saxophone and Electronics)
Innova 736
--Sain: Slammed
--Lennon: Aeterna
--Subotnick: In Two Worlds
--Engebretsen: SaxMax
--Campion: Corail
etc.
http://www.innovarecordings.com/artist1.asp?skuID=360

Luigi Gallo
"SaxClassic" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
--Bach: Badinerie
--Demersseman: Fantasia
--Whitney: Rumba
--Daneels: Aria et Valse Jazz
--Francaix: Cinq Danses Exotiques
etc.
http://www.aurec.com/4#saxophone

Thanks!

Angel
02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Kenneth Tse and Nobuya Sugawa just released their duo CD:

STELLAR SAXES
Crystal Records CD359
1- Nagao: Paganini Lost
2- Hindemith: Konzertstuck
3- Kato: Oriental
4- Lacour: Suite en duo
5- Nagao: Lovers on the Celestial Sphere
6- Morosco: Six Contemporary Etudes

Angel

Arctus
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Kenneth Tse and Nobuya Sugawa just released their duo CD:

STELLAR SAXES
Crystal Records CD359
1- Nagao: Paganini Lost
2- Hindemith: Konzertstuck
3- Kato: Oriental
4- Lacour: Suite en duo
5- Nagao: Lovers on the Celestial Sphere
6- Morosco: Six Contemporary Etudes

Angel

Got mine last week!

I really enjoy this new piece: Paganini Lost

Also I'm happy to have another recording of the Hindemith Konzertstück because I'm playing it in 2 weeks :-)

Angel
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Rascher Saxophone Quartet plays Giya Kancheli's "Amao Omi" for saxophone quartet and chamber choir on Kancheli's CD "Little Imber" on the ECM label.
http://www.amazon.com/Giya-Kancheli-Little-Imber/dp/B0017P3Q2G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237826573&sr=8-1

Quatuor Arcanes (V.David/D.Royannais/G.Demarsy/E.Fagant) released a CD recording of the string quartets of Debussy and Ravel. I heard the sound samples on their website http://www.substance-arcanes.com, and was absolutely stupefied. After picking myself back up off the floor, I ordered the CD.

Branford Marsalis recorded John Williams' "Escapades" with the North Carolina Symphony on the BIS label CD "American Spectrum.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Spectrum-Hybr-Daugherty/dp/B001RKWICA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237828212&sr=8-1

Angel
03-23-2009, 10:35 PM
The Dutch reed quintet CALEFAX released their new CD/DVD of Conlon Nancarrow's Studies for Player Piano. Guest artist Ivo Janssen is on real piano.

http://www.calefax.nl

These guys are so amazing, it's almost ridiculous. I have almost their entire discography, and the playing is consistently frightening.

Angel
04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Vince Gnojek plays John Mackey Concerto for soprano saxo and band on the Naxos label CD "Wild Nights!", to be released later this month.

Available for pre-order at Amazon.com

Angel
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Arno Bornkamp and Jacob ter Veldhuis are about to release a CD on Basta Music at the end of the month.

Arno Bornkamp
"Buku of Horn", music of Jacob ter Veldhuis
Tallahatchie Concerto
May this bliss never end
Grab It!
Garden of Love
Buku

Really excited to hear Arno play Garden of Love!!! Can't wait!

kaspy
05-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Anyone knows where to order the CDs of Meister Music(Japan). Their website is only in Japanese :(
Are they available in the U.S.A or in Europe?
Thanks.

KenK
05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
You could try the Japanese Amazon.com web site:

http://www.amazon.co.jp

In the upper right corner, there is a link to view the whole site in English.

I was able to create an account with an address in the United States, and they shipped without any problems.

kaspy
05-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank for the info.

Unfortunately, there are only 2 CDs from Meister Music listed, and only one available.
Have you been able to order several of the Meister Music CDs there?

On the other hand, I've seen that there are two new CDs coming soon:
one by Sugawa and one by Hekkema.

jazfyrski
05-02-2009, 04:44 AM
The new Raaf Hekkema CD is also available (in pre-orders, anyway) fom this vendor:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=saxophone&rubric=classic&pd_orderby=datedesc

I've found JPC to be an excellent source of some of the latest available classical recordings. They also ship to the U.S.A. in a timely manner and, in this case, the price is much less expensive than with Japanese vendors.

By the way, you could order, as I frequently do, directly from Meister Music. But although they will answer inquiries in English, it's a big advantage if you can email them in Japanese (either in Kanji or romanized).

Good luck!

kaspy
05-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I did order, about 2 months ago, CDs from JPC and you're right.
Good service, fast delivery, very reasonnable shipping fees.
Unfortunately, I did not see any Meister Music items on their website.

Would you by any chance have the email of Meister Music.
I can write in English but my Japanese is less than zero :(

Thank you.

jazfyrski
05-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Kaspy:

Here is a link to the home page of Meister Music's website

http://www.meister-music.com/

This is the link to their "Contact Us" page:

http://www.meister-music.com/tech.html

Unfortunately, while preparing to send this reply, I noticed that Meister Music's direct customer requests email link is no longer listed. I'm not sure if this means that you can no longer order directly from them. Although I have never tried it this way, you might try FAXing your inquiry to them.

BTW, another Japanese vendor that carries most of the releases from the Meister Music label is HMV Japan:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/list/genre/700/keyword/saxophone/target/CLASSIC/advanced/1/formattype/1/?sort=date&direction=1&&pagenum=1

I hope this helps. Good luck!

kaspy
05-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you very much, Jazfyrski, for taking time to let me know all these informations.

I really appreciate it a lot :)

Ian Stewart
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
There is a new CD on Big Shed Music, by one of the foremost classical saxophone players in the U.K., Kyle Horch. Originally from Ohio and now based in London, this new saxophone quartet - Flotilla - features three other prominent U.K. saxophone players - Naomi Sullivan, Andrew Tweed, and Alistair Parnell. Alistair also plays keyboards giving the ensemble a varied and unusual repertoire.

Elliott Carter – Canonic Suite

Liz Johnson – O Vos *

Jan Dismas Zelenka (trans. Horch) – Trio Sonata n.1 in F major

Paul Evernden – Three Songs for Sajmište *

Edward McGuire – Remembrance *

William Sweeney – Cha b'ann grad…

Robert Myers – Flotilla from the Villa *

(* denotes first recording of this work.)

More information can be found on the flotilla website http://www.flotilla.org.uk/Flotilla/CD.html

jazfyrski
05-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Hello, everyone; a few new CDs:

Todd Oxford
"Tango Magnetism" (Alto Saxophone)
Equilibrium CD93
--Gutwein: Tango Magnetism
--Williams: Catch Me If You Can
--Amram: Ode to Lord Buckley
--Bramwell: Canciones Del Zocalo
--Piazzolla: Adios Nonino
etc.
http://www.equilibri.com/recordings/rec_93.eq

Jean-Pierre Simon
"Paysages" (Soprano/Alto/Tenor Saxophone and Piano/Guitar/Harp/Orchestra)
Art&Musique CD107 30801
--Ghidoni: 2e Mouvement du Concerto
--Ghidoni: Paysages
--Boutilliers: Cirkus
--Ghidoni: Nocturne et Sicilienne
--Roux: Ponticello Tango
--Berthelot: Adage et Arabesque
etc.
http://mathieu-touzot.blogspot.com/2008/11/sortie-de-lalbum-paysages.html

Raaf Hekkema
"Paganini Plus" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
MDG 7577367
--Paganini: La Campanella
--Kalinkovitch: Capriccio nach Paganini
--Schumann: Etude, Op. 10, Nr. 6
--Szymanowski: 3 Paganini-Capricen
--Coslow: Mr. Paganini
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Musik-f%FCr-Saxophon-Klavier-Paganini-Plus/hnum/7577367

But wait...there's more!

A soon-to-be released CD by Nathan Nabb featuring the works of Babbitt, Berio, Ekhardt, and Hurel on the Amp label and two recordings by the great Nobuya Sugawa. The first, "Dream", is a two-disc compilation of the most melodic classical pieces he's recorded over the years on the EMI label. The second, "Saxophone Concertos" happens to have the same title of his 1997 EMI release, but actually features new recordings of Reed, Mackey, Ellerby, and Mashima with the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra.

Thanks!

odhecaton
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
While not strictly a CD of only sax music, my recent CD is a "Recommended Recording" in the current issue of Saxophone Journal (March/April 2009, Vol.33 #4).

The CD is called "SIXTH SPECIES" and includes my sax quartet "OK-OK", commissioned by The Fromm Foundation for The Radnofsky Quartet in Boston. It's on Albany Records (TROY1044).

The entire piece is based on the Bird's solo from "Ko-Ko", but recontextualized (it ain't "jazz"...).
The recording is by The Frost Saxophone Quartet at the University of Miami.

Paul Wagner reviewed both the piece and the performance extremely favorably:
"These performers blend beautifully together with an extremely strong sense of ensemble. Their intonation is superb and their unisons are excellent, regardless of the tempo. Their timbres are perfectly matched and their phrasing is excellent."
"OK-OK is a delightful addition to the saxophone quartet library so definitely make time to hear it. It is easily worth it."

It was also reviewed favorably in the current issue of Sax Symposium.

The CD is available everywhere online (Amazon, iTunes, etc), and a pdf of the score is on my website, along with streaming mp3's:
www.lansingmcloskey.com

I know this is totally self-promotional, but hey...As a composer, how else can I make saxophonists aware of the CD and piece? :-)
Lansing

Angel
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Susan Fancher
"In Two Worlds"
Innova 736
-- James Paul Sain: "Slammed"
-- John Anthony Lennon: "Aeterna"
-- Morton Subotnick: "In Two Worlds"
-- Reginald Bain: "Jovian Images"
-- Mark Engebretson: "SaxMax"
-- Edmund Campion: "Corail"
-- Judith Shatin: "Penelope's Song"
http://www.innova.mu

Randall Hall
"The Passage Between"
Innova 715
-- Randall Hall: "Carnivore"
-- Christian Lauba: Neuf Etudes - Cahier 1
-- Hall/Kirk: "Three Reflections on Eternity"
-- Hall: "The Passage Between"
-- Hall: "Quelque chose que mon pere a tunu a ses mains"
-- Hall: "Four Dogmas"
http://www.innova.mu

Douglas Masek
"EclectSax"
Centaur CRC 2865
-- Bruce Babcock: "Irrational Exuberance"
-- Mark Carlson: "Intermezzo"
-- Shardad Rohani: Concerto
-- Bruce Broughton: "Remembrance"
-- Victor Morosco: "Blue Caprice"
-- Ladd McIntosh: Sonatina
-- Morten Lauridsen: "Dirait-on"
-- Jonathan Grasse: "Letters from Brazil"
http://www.centaurrecords.com/

Angel
05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Aurelia Saxophone Quartet
"French Saxophones"
Challenge Classics 72331
(2CD re-release of the old EtCetera label discs)

String Quartets of Debussy, Ravel, Roussel

French standards by Bozza, Desenclos, Francaix, Rivier, Schmitt, Pierne.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Aurelia-Saxophone-Quartet-French-Saxophones/hnum/1626787

wtoddoxford
05-08-2009, 03:23 AM
I appreciate my new album, "Tango Magnetism" being mentioned in this post. The CD will be released to online retailers worldwide on May 12. The disc will be available from iTunes, amazon, Best Buy, CD Universe among others.

www.toddoxford.com
www.toddoxfordsaxophones.com

Dannel
06-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Elliot Riley, alto saxophonist of the Rascher Saxophone Quartet, has just released his first solo CD with Scott Mitchel from Glasgow on piano.

"Highlander's Lament"

Track Listing Includes:
Paul Creston "Sonata"
Carl Anton Wirth "Jephthah" (with Christine Rall, Soprano Saxophone)
Brian Elias "Pythikos Nomos"
Ludwig Van Beethoven (with Agata Riley, Violin, and Tomasz Daroch, Cello)
Highlander's Lament (Scottish)
O Swiftly Glides The Bonny Boat (Scottish)
The Soldier In A Foreign Land (Irish)
O Might I But My Patrick Love (Irish)
The Shepherd's Song (Scottish)
When Mortals All To Rest Retire (Welsh)

The cost of the CD is 17 Euros plus shipping. One euro will be donated to the Children With Cancer Foundation in Freiburg, Germany.

Payment will be done through paypal and will be sent to highlanderslament(at)gmail(dot)com

You can also e-mail highlanderslament(at)gmail(dot)com to figure out the exact shipping and to ask any questions regarding the CD release.

I have been waiting the release of this CD for quite sometime! I think many people will be amazed at what this extraordinary saxophonist can do!

drakesaxprof
06-14-2009, 04:06 AM
James Romain
"In Friendship" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Centaur CRC 2916
--Denisov: Sonate
etc.
http://centaurrecords.com

A very exciting and versatile player/pedagogue (and moderator of the SOTW classical saxophone forum, I believe) with fresh readings of some of the canons of the literature. I've been waiting for this one since he mentioned it in his website a while ago.

In Friendship is finally available on iTunes, so you can sample tracks for $0.99 before committing to the full $9.99 for the recording.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa213/wyosaxo1/Random%20Stuff/crc2916_fc.jpg

kaspy
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't remember reading about this CD here.

Sandor Rigo plays music by P.M. Dubois:

-Divertissement
-Concertstück
-Sonate
-Pièces caractéristiques en forme de suite
-Sonatine

http://www.hungaroton.hu/

Angel
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know if it was ever mentioned, and if not, it definitely needs to be:

TIMOTHY MCALLISTER plays Daniel McCarthy's funk-inspired "Towers of Power" with University of Arizona wind ensemble, and is the title track for the CD on the Albany label.
http://www.timothymcallister.com
http://www.albanyrecords.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AR&Product_Code=TROY1108&Category_Code=a-NR&Product_Count=20

kaspy
07-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Jean-Yves Fourmeau's concert in Tokyo last October is available on DVD:

http://jeanyves.fourmeau.free.fr/interest.htm
Not sure if the DVD is in the NTSC format but he says that is should be playable at least on any computer (format MPEG2).

Also in DVD the whole concert where he plays the saxo part in Mussorgsky/Ravel's Pictures at an Exhibition:

http://www.medici-dvd.com/artikel/dvd/?id=005679_gala_from_berlin_2007

drakesaxprof
07-28-2009, 01:22 AM
I'd like to recommend my good friend and Oasis Saxophone Quartet colleague Nathan Nabb's brand-new release, Tangled Loops. It is currently available directly from Nathan via his web site (http://nathannabbmusic.com/live/). The performances are breathtaking, both from Nathan and from pianist Winston Choi (http://www.winstonchoi.com/live/).

Eckardt-Tangled Loops 8:08
Berio-Sequenza IXb 13:33
Hurel-Opcit I 2:04
Hurel-Opcit II 2:53
Hurel-Opcit III 3:12
Hurel-Opcit IV 2:53
Berio-Sequenza VIIb 7:29
Babbitt-Whirled Series 12:43

kaspy
07-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Ancia Saxophone Quartet.

CD Title: Short Stories. (American Music for Saxophone Quartet)
Label: Naxos

Ives: String Quartet no.1 (excerpt)
Higdon: Short Stories
Sturm: Picasso Cubed
Torke: July
Bixier: Heptagon
Macy: Elusive Dreams (with Accordion)
Morton: Black Bottom Stomp

jazfyrski
08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
A few recent releases for your consideration...

Katsuki Tochio
"Caprice en Forme de Valse" (Baritone Saxophone and Piano)
Meister Music MM 2043
--Rachmaninoff: Vocalise
--Massenet: Meditation
--Franck: Sonate
--Saint-Saens: Sonate
etc.
http://meister-music.com/new.html

Randall Hall
"The Passage Between"
Innova 715
--Hall: Carnivore
--Lauba: Neuf Etudes, Cahier 1
--Hall: The Passage Between
--Hall: Four Dogmas
etc.
http://www.innovarecordings.com/artist1.asp?skuID=349

Sander Beumer (Duo Beumer and Van Ham)
"Red to Black" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
BVH 01
--Michans: Purana
--Adrikopoulos: Red to Black
--Zabel: Beyond Silence and Despair
--Straesser: Ups and Downs
etc.
http://www.boudisque.nl/zoek/classique.asp?trefwoord=red+to+black&artiest=&titel=&componist=&dirigent=&eankode=&prijsvan=&prijstot=&releasevandag=&releasevanmaand=&releasevanjaar=&releasetotdag=&releasetotmaand=&releasetotjaar=&geluidsdrager=&aantalpp=10&zoek=++Zoek++

Marco Albonetti
"Astor Place" (Soprano/Alto Saxophone and Piano)
(Private Label?)
--(All Piazzolla)
--Oblivion
--Primavera Portena
--Muerte del Angel
--Adios Nonino
--Libertango
http://www.amazon.com/Astor-Place-El-Tango-Piazzolla/dp/B002F7DXQO/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249880885&sr=301-1

...and, perhaps best of all, a new Vincent David DVD! I've ordered a copy but have not received it yet:

http://www.selmer.fr/article.php?id=8696

It's an instructional DVD that features nearly 70 pieces by French composers for alto saxophone and piano. In addition to "practice versions", the DVD has Vincent David playing the pieces as originally written, accompanied by pianist Aline Bartissol. This may be the only commercially available recording of one of the best classical saxophonists alive interpreting the classic French repertoire. Can't wait to hear--and view--it!

Thanks!

kaspy
08-11-2009, 02:35 AM
It's an instructional DVD that features nearly 70 pieces by French composers for alto saxophone and piano. In addition to "practice versions", the DVD has Vincent David playing the pieces as originally written, accompanied by pianist Aline Bartissol. This may be the only commercially available recording of one of the best classical saxophonists alive interpreting the classic French repertoire. Can't wait to hear--and view--it!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the infos.
Did you notice on the Selmer website that the DVDs for trumpet are now up to three.
Who knows, maybe it'll be the same thing for sax. (Sure hope so!)

Michigansax
08-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Is it known if the DVD will play on North American DVD players?

kaspy
08-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it known if the DVD will play on North American DVD players?

On Selmer's website, it is mentioned that it is a DVD-ROM for PC only, so I guess that it will work on this side of the Atlantic as well, but on a computer only.

jazfyrski
08-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Hello, Michigansax. I'm not certain that the new Vincent David DVD will play in North American DVD players. However, I agree with kaspy that this DVD should play on our computers.

I can tell you that I have a couple of Japanese-made DVDs--in the PALS format--and they all play in my computer, but not in my "stand-alone" DVD player that is connected to my television.

Of course I'll know for certain when I finally receive the DVD; I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

kaspy
08-13-2009, 02:56 AM
I received today from Jean-Yves Fourmeau the DVD of a concert that he gave in Japan in 2008.

So far, I had only time to view some excerpts but it looks awesome.

Here is the program:
-Beffa:Obsessions. Alto solo
-Pascal:Sonatine. Alto/Piano
-Decruck: Sonate. Alto/Piano
-Desenclos: Prélude, cadence et finale. Alto/Piano
-Handel: Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. Sax Quartet (played by Japanese musicians).
-Marcello: Concerto (orig. for Oboe). Soprano sax (Mr. Fourmeau) with accompaniment by a sax quartet.
-Naulais: Atout sax. For Sax quintet (Mr. Fourmeau on soprano).
-Ibert: Concertino da Camera. Arr. by J.M. Londeix for Alto and Saxophone ensemble.
Plus 2 Encores by Raymond Alessandrini:
- Mademoiselle Cendrillon
- Joao et Stan.
Both for Alto and piano.

Although on the DVD there's only mention of PAL, I could play it on my DVD player which is connected to my television.

kaspy
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
New CD by Glen Gillis: SaxSpectrum.

Information here:

http://www.msrcd.com/1328/1328.html

mannigan
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
There's a new release on Kairos of music by Georges Aperghis for saxophones and viola. I've only listened once through so far but each piece is unique and the performances are commendable. The soprano/viola duo is especially strong and the score is available as a free download from Aperghis' website.

GEORGES APERGHIS Crosswind

Crosswind . Alter ego . Rasch . Volte-face . Signaux

Geneviève Strosser viola
XASAX
Marcus Weiss tenor saxophone
Pierre-Stephane Meugés soprano saxophone

Includes booklet with text by Patrick Hahn

tracklisting:

Crosswind for viola and four saxophones (1997) 12:51
Alter ego for tenor saxophone (2001) 7:53
Rasch version for viola and soprano saxophone (2006) 6:07
Volte-face for viola (1997) 8:52
Signaux version for 12 saxophones (overdubbed quartet) (1978) 13:17

http://www.kairos-music.com/
http://www.aperghis.com/

Olli-Pekka
09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
My seventh solo CD has been released by the leading classical label in Finland (Alba). "Avenue - Finnish Saxophone Masterpieces" includes Aria (unaccompanied) by Perttu Haapanen, Contemplation 2 (alto & tape) by Jarmo Sermilä, Quartet (flute, saxophone, guitar, percussion) by Kalevi Aho, Avenue (asax & piano) by Sampo Haapamäki, Quattro capricci (sax quartet) by Kirmo Lintinen and O vos Felices (concerto for sax with percussion ensemble and electric bass) by Oliver Kohlenberg.
You can get this CD from Alba
http://www.alba.fi/
or straight from me.
Olli-Pekka

P.s. My third concerto CD is being released already in December, complete Finnish music for sax & percussion in May 2010 and a double CD "Complete Finnish saxophone quartets in September 2010.

kurisaxo
10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
This disc is not new, but I think it hasn't listed here yet.

Meta Duo (Daniel Kientzy and Reina Portuondo)
"KOREA-SAX" (Saxophone and Electronics)
Korean Electro Acoustic Music Society (no number)
--Jiyoun Choi: Polylogos
--Young Mee Lymn: Metamorphosis
--Seong Joon Moon: Klangschatten IV
--Doojin Ahn: Mu Ryung Zi Gok
--Donoung Lee: Strange Dream
--Jongwoo Yim: Flux I

You can buy it at www.vandorenscores.com

Angel
10-13-2009, 04:11 PM
AMY DICKSON plays Glass, Tavener, Nyman

Philip Glass - Concerto for violin and orchestra
John Tavener - The Protecting Veil
Michael Nyman - Where the Bee Dances

Mikel Toms conducts Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Cheap! (http://www.amazon.com/Dickson-plays-Glass-Tavener-Nyman/dp/B002689AQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255450028&sr=8-1)

Adam W
10-16-2009, 02:54 AM
Here's a very new, and very exciting, recording:

http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Nixon-China-John/dp/B002N5KEHO

It's, obviously, not a solo saxophone C.D, but rather an example of the saxophone used extensively, and beautifully, in an orchestral setting.

The orchestra is the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, with Marin Alsop conducting. The saxophonist, by the way, is Timothy McAllister. Maybe you've heard of him? :twisted:

Enjoy!

Angel
10-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Timothy McAllister. Maybe you've heard of him? :twisted:

Enjoy!

*snap*

jazfyrski
10-20-2009, 06:13 AM
The University of Wyoming's own Dr. Scott Turpen has released his second CD:

Scott Turpen
"Crossover" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone and Piano)
ACA 20091
--Woods: Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano
--Feld: Sonata for Soprano Saxophone and Piano
--Gotkovsky: Brillance
--Guzzo: Seeking Ithaca

http://web.me.com/sturpen/Site_2/Recordings_by_Turpen.html

Thanks!

Angel
10-30-2009, 07:26 PM
RASCHÈR SAXOPHONE QUARTET has recently released some new tracks on composer CDs.

CD "Strange Exclaiming Music"
Naxos 8.559612
"Rough Winds Do Shake the Darling Buds" by Eric Moe, for ATB saxo trio.

CD "Water Music"
BIS 1576
"Water Music" by Brett Dean for saxophone quartet and chamber orchestra.

drakesaxprof
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd like to recommend my good friend and Oasis Saxophone Quartet colleague Nathan Nabb's brand-new release, Tangled Loops. It is currently available directly from Nathan via his web site (http://nathannabbmusic.com/live/). The performances are breathtaking, both from Nathan and from pianist Winston Choi (http://www.winstonchoi.com/live/).

Eckardt-Tangled Loops 8:08
Berio-Sequenza IXb 13:33
Hurel-Opcit I 2:04
Hurel-Opcit II 2:53
Hurel-Opcit III 3:12
Hurel-Opcit IV 2:53
Berio-Sequenza VIIb 7:29
Babbitt-Whirled Series 12:43

This is now available on iTunes.

rosski47
11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Otis Murphy's new album, "Song" is now available on iTunes.
It features the Creston Concerto, Maslanka Concerto, and Tosca Fantasy.
These works were performed with the Indiana University Wind Ensemble.

PortlandSax
11-03-2009, 08:07 PM

This sounds FANTASTIC!

PortlandSax
11-04-2009, 02:51 AM

This sounds FANTASTIC!

do we know if this is available on CD or only in MP3 format????

Merci

rosski47
11-04-2009, 03:16 AM

This sounds FANTASTIC!

Merci

I know it will be available on CD, however I'm not sure if it's out yet.
He'll be back from Japan at the end of this week, so I can ask him then.

altosaxguy1
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

In my opinion, this is the best Classical Saxophone CD out there.

jazfyrski
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Two from Europe...

Marco Falaschi
"Fortmann/Vella/Calligaris/Pierami/Iturralde" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Antes Edition BM 31.9256
--Fortmann: Sonata for Saxophone
--Vella: Sonata
--Calligaris: Sonata-Fantasia
--Pierami: Berceuse for Alto Saxophone
--Iturralde: Suite Hellenique

http://www.classicsonline.com/Antes_Edition/

Hans-Joachim Fuss (Saxophone Baroque Stuttgart)
"Vivaldi's World" (Tenor Saxophone and Harpsichord)
Thorofon CTH 2563
--Sammartini: Sonata in C Major
--Locatelli: Sonata in G minor
--Vivaldi: Concerto in F Major, Op. 10
--Corelli: Sonata in F Major
(etc.)

http://www.amazon.de/VivaldiS-World-Saxophone-Baroque-Stuttgart/dp/B002SKAHFS

A baroque scholar and specialist on traverso interprets Vivaldi, Locatelli, Mancini, et al with the tenor saxophone. VERY interesting; despite, or perhaps because, I have mixed feelings about this recording...

Thanks!

rosski47
11-14-2009, 06:54 PM

This sounds FANTASTIC!

Merci

Ok, so I have it on CD as well now, but the only way to get currently is directly from him.
I'm sure it will be available from Arizona University Recordings soon though.
I'd suggest emailing him and just asking though, he'll do whatever he can to help.

jazfyrski
11-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Two new CDs. I don't think either have been mentioned here before...

Jeremy Brown
"Rubbing Stone" (Alto/Soprano Saxophone solo and with Piano)
Centrediscs 1368
--Jordan: Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano
--Eagle: Intonare
--Lee: Rubbing Stone
--Jordan: Sonata for Soprano Saxophone and Piano
etc.

http://www.musiccentre.ca/apps/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.dspItemDetails&buyItemsID=1927

Ties Mellema
"On the Other Hand" (Alto Saxophone solo and with Piano)
Amstel Records (?)
--Cornelius: Ein Ton
--Bach: Sarabande (from Partita BWV 1013)
--Breuker: Duty Calls
--Rossini: Ave Maria
--Mellema/Eijsackers: Improvisation
--Van Klaveren: Interlude
etc.

http://www.tiesmellema.nl/index.php?pageID=records

Thanks!

jazfyrski
12-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Get your orders in before Christmas!

Hiroshi Hara
"Recitativo Fantasia" (Soprano/Alto Saxophone and Piano)
Cafua CACG 0144
--Pierne: Canzonetta
--Schmitt: Songe de Coppelius
etc.

http://www.cafua.com/products/detail.php?product_id=344

I've been wondering when Hara-san would release another CD. If you're not familiar with the first Japanese-born saxophonist to win the Adolphe Sax Concours International in Dinant, I encourage you to also check out his earlier recordings, "Peace of the Woods" and "PCF". Simply an astonishing artist.

Joseph Wytko
"Passions: Large and Small" (Alto Saxophone and Piano)
(Private Label?)
--Ibert: Concertina da Camera
--Albright: Sonata
--Kuehn: Crack
--Weaver: Psalm

This CD may be a re-release of one of Professor Wytko's earlier LP recordings.

(Only available via mail, it seems, at:
Baron Music
PMB #274
7650 S. McClintock Drive, Suite 103
Tempe, AZ 85284)

Happy Holidays!

selmer3man
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
PRISM Quartet: Antiphony
Innova764
with Music From China
Wang Gouwei: Songs
Zhou Long: Antiphony
Lei Liang: YUAN
Chen Yi: Septet
Tan Dun: Shuang Que
Ming-Shiu Yen: Chinatown

buy online HERE. (http://www.baskweb.com/site/store/template_nav_1.asp?category_expand=&menu=expand&contentPage=product.asp&mscid=10917037700000000000000101&idcategory=0&idproduct=49951)

Dannel
12-26-2009, 05:15 AM
http://www.challenge.nl/index.php?group=product&serial=1253006959

The complete works of Tristan Keuris. 11 CDs and 1 DVD. This collection features 7 different works with saxophone.

One of the main attractions of this album for me is the first commercially released recording of his Concerto for saxophone quartet and orchestra. IMO, this work is one of the greatest masterpieces ever written for saxophone. It is also my personal favorite piece of music in all of music history. The featured saxophone quartet in that recording is the Rascher Saxophone Quartet.