PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Martin?

CA Bama Fan
09-25-2008, 04:07 PM
My dad had this back when he was playing. Unfortunately he passed away this past March, and I am not sure, or remember him saying, what make this is.
Its a tenor saxophone. Needs some a repad and cleaning. Otherwise no dents.
I took it in to have someone take a look at it and to tell me if its worth repairing or not. He said it would be about $500 and he told me it was a Martin.
These are the only marks I could find etched on it. Anyone confirm it?

markm
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmm..hard to tell from those pictures. Are the spark plug sockets beveled?

SaxMoose
09-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Lol........................................

I'm sorry, but if you seriously think that's a tenor saxophone, I really wonder what else you own lol.

CA Bama Fan
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, Dave. Great way to enter a new forum by messing up on your first post! LOL
My pictures are a bit disorganized as I am trying to help my mom get rid of a lot of dad's stuff.
Anyways, I've updated the pics. So hopefully those will work now.

DavyRay
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I have a Lyon & Healy C-Melody from about that era. I've heard that the early Lyon & Healy saxophones were made by them using tooling they got from the Martin company. Mine sure looks just like a Martin, and sounds like one too. The later L & H saxophones were made by other companies (Buescher and Martin are the only ones I've seen). You saxophone looks more like the early ones, so it could have been made in the Lyon & Healy factory. Their "American Professional" models are cool.

I love the engraving.

CA Bama Fan
09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Is this model something that would be worth sinking money into fixing up?
I've repaded instruments before, mainly my bassoon and clarinet, so I'm confident there. There are not dents. So I pretty much thing it would just need a good cleaning and polish.

kcp
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah, Dave. Great way to enter a new forum by messing up on your first post! LOL
My pictures are a bit disorganized as I am trying to help my mom get rid of a lot of dad's stuff.
Anyways, I've updated the pics. So hopefully those will work now.

A great way to get yourself noiced by the admins, too - You almost earned yourself a title that says: "Can’t tell the difference between a sax and a lawnmower" ;) Anyway, welcome to SOTW. If you don't mix-up your pics too often, you should do just fine :)

bruce bailey
09-26-2008, 01:30 AM
It is a Lyon & Healy Courturier model made in LaPorte IN. It is a Tenor and can be restored. Soldered tone holes. I actually have the exact same horn in an Alto. Made around 1928 or so.

BlueTrane2028
09-26-2008, 03:30 AM
I've never really looked at one of those before, the serial stamp area looks VERY Conn-like. Perhaps one of the first of the Conn stencil horns, before they started drawing tone holes instead of soldering them on?

More pics would always help, but then again Bruce probably already has it right.

CA Bama Fan
09-26-2008, 03:32 AM
Thanks so much for the info. It might take some time to restore it, but it will be worth it as I know my dad would be proud to have me playing on it again.

bandmommy
09-26-2008, 04:04 AM
I've never really looked at one of those before, the serial stamp area looks VERY Conn-like. Perhaps one of the first of the Conn stencil horns, before they started drawing tone holes instead of soldering them on?

More pics would always help, but then again Bruce probably already has it right.

When did Conn have beveled/soldered tone holes?

BlueTrane2028
09-26-2008, 04:38 AM
My band's Conn bass has soldered tone holes.

I didn't say it was for sure a Conn, just that whoever stamped the serial # did it very very similarly.

Patent
T
Serial Number
L

bruce bailey
09-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Here is the matching Alto I have. It has the clown on the bell like the tenor you have. I recently sold a straight soprano like it and it was great. Look in the Holton section here at SOTW as there is a very detailed discussion on the LaPorte factory and the L&H connection.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12157552@N02/tags/lhaltos/show/