PDA

View Full Version : Lyon & Healy

KMueller
01-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm searching for information on a sax my parents bought for me at an estate sale around 12 years ago. I never learned to play so it sat in the attic for a long time.

It's a Lyon & Healy Alto Sax, serial #70217. It has a satin silver finish with gold tone hole covers(?), keys, and gold inside the bell. It's in very good condition as far as I can tell, but needs a few adjustments and probably new pads. I understand from reading a few things is that it would probably be a stencil, made by either Martin or Buescher. I contacted Lyon & Healy and they said that all records of these saxophones were lost when the factory burned down in the 40s.

I'm not neccesarily looking to sell it, but I would like to find out what it could possibly sell for. Would it be worth it for me to put some money into it to get it in playing condition?

Here are some links to pictures if it helps any.

http://www.geocities.com/karldykhuis/100_0240.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/karldykhuis/100_0247.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/karldykhuis/100_0248.JPG

You might have to cut and paste for them to work.

Thanks for your help,

Karl

Sigmund451
01-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Nice horn. Its a Martin Stencil. If you like the tone of martins its well worth putting some money into a repad. I cant state its exact worth but Martin Altos of the handcraft variety tend to go fairly inexpensively but that doesnt really reflect their value as a horn. The gold and silver mix is not typical so that helps its value too I would think. If it were a tenor Id offer to buy it. Its quite an attractive horn.

KMueller
01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info! Like I said, I'm not really looking to sell it, unless I could get a lot for it, I'm just curious how old it might be and what it could be worth. From looking at a few serial number sites it seems to be from the mid 20s. Even if I never learn to play, I think its a beautiful instrument. Maybe pass it down when I have kids or something.

How much would it cost for a repad, new cork, and a few adjustments made?

Carl H.
01-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I tried to get a look at your pics, but the page was unavailable.
I had an estimate done on a repad for my lyon&healy of around $200, they also wanted to do a total clean and shine too for additional $$. These are nice looking horns, too bad I cant justify having mine done right now.
If you post where you are located you might get a recommendation as to where to go for an honest and competent shop, or shops if you are fortunate.

KMueller
01-27-2004, 04:09 PM
if you copy and paste the links in your web browser, the pictures should come up.

If anyone from the Minneapolis, MN area knows of a good shop to maybe take my horn to for some work, let me know.

thanks,
Karl

Harri Rautiainen
01-27-2004, 08:58 PM
I tried to get a look at your pics, but the page was unavailable.
if you copy and paste the links in your web browser, the pictures should come up.I cannot figure out what's wrong with your links, KMuller.
However, I figured a work-around: Go to the directory, and click the picture URLs there:
http://www.geocities.com/karldykhuis/

BTW, they are too large for Web use, especially over modem lines. You should reduce them into 25% of the original size.

Carl H.
01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
I did get the links to work, and the images are huge. :shock:
As far as I can tell, your horn doesn't have beveled tone holes, which are the Martin stencil identifier. My thoughts are that it is probably not a martin. I have a vintage Beuscher TT locked away somewhere upstairs, and if memory serves, your alto more closely resembles the TT than a martin stencil.

KMueller
01-27-2004, 09:43 PM
yeah, sorry about the size of the pics. I forgot to reduce them.

Tharruff
01-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Karl,

I have a 'C' Melody Sax that is just about a twin to this horn. Silver plated body...gold plated keys...no pearls...and marked, 'Lyon & Healy American Professional Chicago'.

Mine is a Buescher made horn and I am sure that yours is also based on the pictures that you posted. In one of them I can see the profile of the telltale round G# key which is very much a Buescher feature.

Mine is not in playable condition.

Good luck with your horn.

Dave dix
01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes it looks like my buescher true tone
Dave

Jack W.
02-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Pretty! I think it's a Buescher True-Tone also. I once (briefly) had a Lyon & Healy "American Professional" soprano sax that was clearly a True-Tone stencil also. It was the twin of this horn, right down to the metal key touches instead of pearls, except for having a rather ugly aftermarket lacquer finish.

Doug Kuehn at the Brooklyn Center Schmitt Music is one of the best locally for saxophone work. I routinely bring my saxes to him, and not infrequently other instruments too. He knows what to do with old Bueschers.

As for value, you'd probably be disappointed. Even non-stencil Buescher True-Tone altos don't usually get more than $200 on eBay, although they are fine horns and I've owned some. Completely fixed up and ready to gig on with new pads, probably $700-1000 is more in line with the True-Tone altos I see on the retailers' web sites.

That being said, if you like this horn and it has some sentimental value for you, for $200-300 to rebuild it, why not? I bet it will play well, but I'll defer to those who are more knowledgeable about early True-Tones and their stencils for a more definitive "prediction". :)

Did I mention the sound is out of this world on those old Bueschers? :D

KMueller
02-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I work in Brooklyn Center so I know exactly where that schmitt Music is! I might bring my sax in and have him give me a quote on getting it in playing condition.

frobig
02-05-2004, 03:35 AM
If you're looking to save a few bucks, I recommend waiting until next school year and seeing if Ken Cance at MN State College-Southeast Tech in Red Wing can use your horn for a student repad. The price probably won't be a super steal, but it should be more than competitive, and Ken saves interesting old horns for better, or at least more avid, students. Otherwise, I'm sure Schmitt will do great work. One of my Red Wing classmates was there, last I knew, and I expect he still is. If you see Jay Ramsey, tell him Andy said Hi.

KMueller
07-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Okay, I've decided to sell the sax that I discussed above on eBay. If anyone is interested, seach my user name. eclipsespydergs

I didn't want to get sell it initially, but I need the cash.

Thanks,
Karl