PDA

View Full Version : Prestini saxophones

baribri
03-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi,
I am trying to find out what I can about prestini saxes. I seem to recall a contributor named Jerry that was either very well versed or a dealer that carried these horns. One of my students was asking about this brand and I was not too aware of what to tell him. I know Prestini makes a good pad but what is the story on the alto saxes.
BrianA

Andres
03-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Jerry K. is a Prestini dealer and a good guy.

I've owned a Prestini Classic tenor for about 10 months, and I aboslutely love it, as does the pro that I study with (he's ordering a Classic tenor and alto to use as his road horns). They're among the best of the Asian horns, IMHO, on par with the top level Antigua Winds, Jupiter Artist, etc.

I did try an alto briefly recently, and it felt very solid and sounded good...or as good as it could, considering I hadn't played alto at all in about 2 years. :?

The Prestini Classic is an excellent horn, and a better value than most people realize. it's a shame that there isn't much press about them.

Jerry K.
03-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Andres, thank you for the kind words.

I mirror everything that Andres has to say, and Yes I am a Dealer for Prestini. I especially like the Classic Tenors and Sopranos. I ordered the straight Classic soprano to check it out and I am truly inpressed. The intonation is really good (+ or - 5 in the hands of a very amatuer soprano player) and the tone is warm and consistant across the range of the horn. The Pro I take lessons from (amazing alto player) took the soprano home to play for a week, he liked it that much. For the price you can't beat either of these horns. I also have and play a Classic alto that is a really solid horn with good intonation, very resonant and on the bright side - sort of Yamaha 62 bright. By the way, this horn is also spectacular looking after I had Jason Dumars engrave it. Here's a sample of what it looks like:

http://members.aol.com/lightnsail/images/01270006.jpg

I agree that the Prestini Classics are excellent horns. From my perspective the lack of awareness is a direct result of inconsistant Marketing efforts and practices by Prestini and not product related. I think these horns are among the best Taiwanese made saxes available.

Please know that like most companies, Prestini makes a wide range of horns from low beginner (cheap horn and made in China) to the Classic Pro Model and everything in between. I only offer for sale the top 3 models in alto, the top 2 models in tenor and the top model in soprano as I know these to all be really good horns and excellent values.

Saxaholic
03-27-2003, 01:53 AM
How do these horns compare with the big 4? Jerry....could you give me a link to your store where I could maybe check some things out? Do you take trades? If this pro model soprano is as good as you say it is, maybe we could talk some business or trading? See my Marketplace post or Conn post about the Perfect 6M.....

Jerry K.
03-27-2003, 05:12 AM
How do these horns compare to the Big 4?

To start with, I can only speak to my experience. I have played the Classic straight and curved sopranos, the alto and the tenor. I have never played a Prestini bari. Of all the Prestini horns I've played, the tenors are the best in my opinion and hold their own with the big boys very well. They have a big and somewhat dark tone to my ear and are very solid horns with a great feel. The straight soprano is solid and also somewhat dark for a soprano with very good intonation. The only dis would be that with the mouthpieces I have tried so far it is not a very big or loud sounding horn. I think I'd give an edge to the YSS475 but for less than half the price it's a really good value. I like my Classic alto but it is a distant 2nd to my Buffet SDA. The Classic alto has very good intonation, is very resonant but somewhat brighter than what's in my head. That's why I like the SDA so much - very dark for an alto.

Saxaholic, just click on the WWW button below and you'll go to my basic page. I currently have 2 Prestini Classic tenors if you're in the market for a tenor. If you email me (also below) I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

On the topic of trades, I am "really" only looking for a bari and a 230K or so Truetone straight soprano right now. I have actually been selling a lot of my horns over the past few months and am getting close to critical mass. I still have more altos than I need and will likely be selling a few more horns in the near future myself.

Ray
04-26-2003, 02:38 AM
I just got the straight soprano yesterday and I am very pleased.It has a nice warm tone and gets better each time I play it( I usually play tenor so soprano has been an adjustment ). Intonation is good also and gets easier also as I play more. The sax seems to be sturdily made and the price was right for my needs right now...I play only alto and tenor in our church orchestra but will soon try the soprano on occasion.
Jerry has been great to work with and got the sax to me quickly and packed very well. I'd be interested in getting one of the altos or tenors in the future to back up my Selmers. I'm going to try several mpcs and I'll report my findings.

Ray
05-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Just a follow up on my Prestini soprano. Ever since I got a Selmer Super Soloist this horn has really come to life. I really enjoy playing it and for the price I'm even more happy(so is my wife,and she enjoys hearing me play it). Intonation is great and the more I become adjusted to soprano, the better it gets.
Thanks again Jerry for your help.

Jerry K.
05-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Ray, I'm glad to hear that you're so happy with your Prestini Classic soprano. I just ordered several Selmer SS pieces from Woodwind & Brasswind (great return policy) in a variety of tip openings to try. I'm really curious how it will sound on my new YSS-475.

If you get serious about a tenor I still have a couple of the Classic models in stock and at a good price. I believe you would find the tone a little darker and possibly bigger than your Selmers.

Bill08690
12-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Ray-
What opening did you purchase for the Selmer SS? Are you still happy with this mpc? How is the scale on lower notes? I had to open up the lower stack to get a better scale on my Prestini.

Ray
12-22-2003, 12:50 PM
I got a "J" opening but later I found that I liked a Runyon Quantum (plastic)better. Played more in tune and had a more complex tone.

Jerry K.
12-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Bill08690, how old is your Prestini soprano and what mouthpiece are you currently using? Also, what model do you have? I ask because mouthpiece strongly influences intonation on soprano, and the Prestinis, like other Taiwanese brands, have improved a lot over the past 10 years.

I sold my Yamaha YSS475 to the Pro I have taken lessons from for the past 4 years. He needed a soprano for doubling and he liked the Yamaha. As a result, I am currently playing Prestini's new 2 neck soprano and intonation is really good with a Super Session G until I get to low Bb which is sharp. Seems to be a common problem note on soprano (could be me) but not a note that's often played.

Bill08690
12-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Jerry-
The Prestini Sop is a straight model 50K serial #. My mouthpiece is a Runyon Cutom 9* worked over by MOJObari. The notes F,E,D & C were flat relative to B & Bb and G, so I opened those keys up to get a good scale. I start by setting the mpc correct for Bb and work my way up the horn. The horn sounds good and the quality of the instrument is very good. My friend who plays regularly tried the instrument and thought is was very good. Players who heard my friend on the Prestini asked if it was a Selmer...

What mpc do you recommend for the old version and how are the new horns?

BarryIsaac
05-09-2004, 01:01 AM
A fellow I met at a blues jam (at Johnstone's Public House, Ashland MA) had a very nice looking silver-plated Prestini tenor. I had my VI with me and we compared horns and play tested for about 15 minutes. I'd call it a pretty damn impressive knockoff of a selmer - same key layout, and played very very well. 15 minutes is only 15 minutes, and we were outdoors, so there were limitations on assessing the tonal quality. Still, I was very favorably impressed.

SaxPlayer1004
05-23-2004, 02:52 AM
i play on a prestini tenor. absolutely love it. watch out for the high range though. they tend to wave in and out of tune. my G# key is still sticking after 2 years, but the lower register is amazing, and its a great all around horn. watch the mouthpiece. absolute crap.

Jerry K.
05-24-2004, 12:48 AM
I concur on the mouthpiece. Throw it away! No problems for me in the upper register though.

OOlufoks
05-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Yep, I do own a prestini USA tenor, but it does not say classic on it. I wonder if it is one of the easier or amateur models, the serial number starts with a 99XXXXX, and it is the heaviest tenor sax I have ever played. I think it sounds great though, considering I have only compared it to the much lighter selmer series II and III and yamaha tenor saxes they have at my local music store. Depending on the mouthpiece reed combo I am using, I get a different array of tonal qualities.
Does anyone know what kind of prestini I have, or if their prestini isequally heavy? Mine came with the hermes mouthpiece when I bought it on ebay, and I have stopped using it even though two separate teachers mentioned that I had a great tone when I was still using the hermes.

Jerry K.
05-26-2004, 01:41 PM
OOlufoks, the Classic says Classic on the Bell. You probably have the next model down, the ST585E which is an intermediate level horn. These are great sounding horns with excellent projection. The Classic is a little darker in tone and has firmer felts. Both horns are full ribbed construction, have metal resonators and are quite heavy. The classic feels a little heaver to me which may contribute to the darker tone.

SaxPlayer1004
05-27-2004, 01:27 AM
i play a prestini tenor, and when both that case, and my vito alto case are empty (except the horn and neck obviously) they weigh about the same, so i dont know how the horn stacks up in weight. ive played a yamaha 62 which seems heavier, the old mark 6's also seem a lot heavier, havent played the new selmers yet, no desire to right now (freshman in high school, so im thinking i shouldnt try the best until i can afford em) so i have no idea why your tenor seems so heavy, i mean the thing isnt built like a tank (i.e. the yanagisawas and keilwerths) but its not the lightest thing ever.

RhondaD
06-19-2004, 07:34 PM
I own a Prestini soprano sax and would like to know the date of manufacture if possible. The serial number is N-9403008. Any info would help. Thanks

SaxPlayer1004
06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Yep, I do own a prestini USA tenor, but it does not say classic on it. I wonder if it is one of the easier or amateur models, the serial number starts with a 99XXXXX, and it is the heaviest tenor sax I have ever played. . junk mouthpeice. my prestini tenor in the case is lighter than my vito alto in the case, and when they are both out the prestini is about a pound lighter. one of the lighter horns that ive ever played (not including the taiwanese thin metal POS)

Jerry K.
06-25-2004, 07:06 PM
SaxPlayer1004, sounds to me like you have one of Prestini's entry level(cheap made in China, post type construction) horns. The ones I have seen and play tested are all full rib construction, made in Taiwan, and not light in weight.

SaxPlayer1004
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
i doubt its an entry level horn. i looked at three models of the prestini at my dealer in massachusetts (Cosmo Valente) and this was at the top of the stack by far. from all the features im assuming its one level under the classic. my vito alto is very very heavy though, it might just be me, but im a tenor/bari player so i might be biased. its a bit heavier than my cousins yts 62 though. im not sure. the serial on it is 2005233 if that helps you mark the model #. but im pretty sure its not their base model.

Bramphal
12-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me about a Prestini AS-641BG is it a good horn?

HUTMO
12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
We have a pulse after 3 years and 6 months...nice.

Merry Christmas
HUTMO

tingshen
07-25-2008, 11:21 PM
yah, is jerry still around? is there any better website for info related Prestini? Is it really one of the best pads manufacturers out there?