PDA

View Full Version : Saxophone Repair Videos

Bryan Kendall
03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
There are some Saxophone Repair Vidoes out there by reputable people......."Robertos" has one (I think) and so does S"axophone Gourmet."

Does anyone have one of these?
If you do please tell me about them.

Are there any good books on repairing saxes?
I live in Honduras, Central America and must learn to fix my horns myself. No sax reair technicians for 5,000 miles! I have the only saxophone in Honduras.

Bill Mecca
03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Bill Singer has a set of 3 repair videos, he goes by Singerland Productions I think. I did come across a web site for him (sorry I don't have the url, but a quick search should bring it up) and he was selling them from there. I also saw a set go on ebay recently for less than $90 (USD).

MusicMedic
03-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I've seen Steve Goodson's repair video several times and find it quite interesting. Many of my Clients have ordered them and written to me about how much they enjoyed Steve's video. If you've ever met Steve you know that his knowledge and his wit are his strong points. These both come through clearly in the video.

As far as repair books go, there are two that I really like.

1. Saska's "A Guide to Woodwind Repair". This book goes through the basics (and the advanced) repair topics for all the woodwinds. Ths nice thing about the Saska Guide is that it assumes very little knowledge of repair. It was written as a text book for a repair course and as such is organized and complete.

2. Ernest Ferron's "The Saxophone is my Voice"
This is a work of art. If you play the saxophone, you need to have this book. It talks about repair but even better it explains in plain english (actually translated from French) several of the acoustical phenomona that relate to the saxophone.

hornfixer
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Are there any good books on repairing saxes?
I live in Honduras, Central America and must learn to fix my horns myself. No sax repair technicians for 5,000 miles! I have the only saxophone in Honduras.

I think one of the best books for repairing saxes, is here on the SOTW forum.
It has the most updated information available.

Gordon (NZ)
05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, SOTW has a huge amount to offer, both already written and still to come.

When you get experts discussing a topic, as you often get here, you can often learn so much more than just reading one perspective. And here you can ask questions, of course.

I notice you are are new here. In this section of the forum the table of contents is 132 pages long. That's thousands of pages of questions, answers, discussion, and all of it is searchable. It is probably the world's biggest resource for repairing saxes.

Another highly acclaimed book is:
Repair Instruction Manual:

THE COMPLETE WOODWIND REPAIR MANUAL - by Reg Thorp, available from http://www.napbirt.org/

Jorns Bergenson
05-24-2008, 04:17 AM
I notice you are are new here.
He's not really that new. Afterall, that orignal post was made over 5 years ago! :twisted:

jbtsax
05-25-2008, 01:18 AM
[i]I've seen Steve Goodson's repair video several times and find it quite interesting. Many of my Clients have ordered them and written to me about how much they enjoyed Steve's video. If you've ever met Steve you know that his knowledge and his wit are his strong points. These both come through clearly in the video. I have the greatest respect for Curt Alterac both as a skilled professional in the music industry and as an honest person to do business with. I would recommend his products and his repair service without question. I know too that he has had a long business relationship with Steve Goodson that directs his public comments about this individual.

Unfortunately even though Steve Goodson's wit and knowledge may be his strong points, there are other well known negative traits and actions that detract from his offerings as a repair tech and merchandiser in my opinion.

The most onerous of these in my opinion is the failure to return Andy Warr's brand new tenor saxophone that was sent to him to have the lacquer removed and the pads and resonators replaced for $1100. After 2 years of failing to return Andy's calls and emails Steve sold the saxophone to "recoup" the $200 additional shipping charge he claimed Andy owed. Goodson in effect sold a new $2500 B & S Northway stencil tenor that he had already been paid $1100 to repad to recoup a bogus $200 shipping charge that HE NEVER INCURRED BECAUSE THE SAXOPHONE WAS NEVER SHIPPED TO ITS OWNER. I have personally spoken to Andy about this incident and I believe his account of the story to be true.

The whole story in Andy's word's can be found at this link: Andy Warr (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.saxophone/browse_thread/thread/5dd9b9577bce5720/ac4e70d1c8cf91fb?#ac4e70d1c8cf91fb) and at this one: S.G. has had my tenor over a year. (http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpost.php?p=68300&postcount=1)

I hope the mods allow this post because I feel it is important to pass on this information to newer members of SOTW in case they are entertaining the idea of sending their sax to this individual to work on.

John

mellowmeyer
05-25-2008, 02:44 AM
I've also had cognitive dissonance with regard to Goodson, as JBT mentioned. I don't have the experience, but it's a little scary that searching for his name brings up as many complaints of such mal practice as it does links to Sax Gourmet. In addition, actual footage of him suggesting methods to get more money out of customers' pockets on YouTube. I have exchanged e-mails with Curt a time or two for orders and such, and he and his colleagues indeed seem to be upstanding and kind people.

I aim not to judge, but with actual video of him saying such things as "we need to get as much money out of their pockets and into ours as possible," and multiple documented incidents of situations like JBT mentioned, I honestly wonder what Curt or anyone must feel like doing business with him. In fact, the fact that such a relationship exists in the first place is an additional reason to me to wonder "hey, maybe Goodson has a bad rap, maybe we don't know the whole story," but facts are facts, and it's been enough that I will avoid Sax Gourmet products until there is some sort of explanation. Maybe this is unnecessary, but I agree--proceed with caution.

I also agree with JBT that these points should be allowed into discussion because they are relevant to what could happen to a customer in a completely impersonal manner.

Teacher
05-25-2008, 04:27 AM
I know there seems to be some question about whether the infamous Steve Goodson is getting a "bad rap." The legal community has a latin phrase which is often employed in negligence cases (as well as other types of cases), "res ipsa loquitur." In Latin, it literally means "the thing itself speaks," but it is more commonly translated as "the thing speaks for itself". Take a look at the Youtube clip of SG presenting his business philosophy in a sax technician seminar. Res ipsa loquitur.

Gordon (NZ)
05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Perhaps it is time to add my own story, the first time I have made it publicly available:

Steve Goodson may have some skills in repair - I don't know. I have never seen his work.
He certainly demonstrates vigorous energy in his marketing "thrust".

However I find his lack courtesy towards a fellow technician, myself, obnoxious.

I wrote an original, in-depth, technical article about needle spring design, in the (Delphi)repairers' private forum.

Steve Goodson took the article and deposited it in one of his web sites. The Delphi rules specifically forbid that unless permission has been sought and granted from the author. He did not seek or obtain that permission, and did not even acknowledge the author. Under pressure in Delphi, he later added my name in an inconspicuous post, and spelt it wrong. I take it that that was deliberate, to annoy, because he has made no effort to correct it.

Now that is not so good. But what makes it unforgivable is that in that same website, he harbors (or more than likely wrote himself, under one of his several pseudonyms) comments which mock and deride me personally, in a way that could be hardly more unpleasant.

As readers here would know, I am only too free in freely giving help and info relating to repair, but that is the very last place I would ever give a person to publish my material, and he knows it. And that, I suggest, is the very reason he published it there.

In Delphi he has had it explained that what he has done is unlawful, but this Steve Goodson is way above the law (although he makes regular threats to use it against others)

I have asked Goodson to remove the obnoxious material from his website. He seems to delight in retaining it.

I have asked him to remove my article. He totally ignores that request.

He also mocks the entire SOTW 'community' as being ignorant.

The only way that Steve Goodson can earn back the tiniest bit of respect from me is if he has the courtesy to remove my article from that obnoxious website.

I suggest considerable caution when dealing with this person.

I have great respect for the services that Curt Altarac has made available to sax players under the name Musicmedic. However it utterly baffles me that he still has such a strong association and support towards a person who has wreaked so much discontent in the sax and repairer fraternity. I don't even begin to try to understand this.

That is my story and it seems it needs telling.

jbtsax
05-26-2008, 03:23 AM
It is unfortunate that Saxnation.com/forum whose purpose is to promote this individual and his products to the music community has exactly the opposite of its intended effect due to the vulgarity and dishonesty of the content. It is patently obvious to any intelligent viewer that the majority of the posts on that forum are written by the forum owner himself adopting different persona with ridiculous names and avatars. This individual doesn't seem to realize that he is fast becoming the laughing stock of the saxophone community by showing his lack of values and decency by his disgusting and dishonest behavior at that site.

John

Raspberry 007
05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
I would generally avoid this topic, but I had several encounters with Steve Goodson while I was a college student in New Orleans.

Specifically, Steve's work on my saxophone (a Selmer Mark VI at the time) was . . .

mellowmeyer
05-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I would generally avoid this topic, .....

I wouldn't worry about that. It's apparent to me that often, things that people deem "not ok" to talk about are things that they should talk about most. Clearly, this needs to be mentioned if he's still in business and customers are having their wallets skimmed.

It's one thing to have a reputation, but actual video supporting it, documentation, police reports, better business bureau?...I'm honestly starting to wonder, is Curt aware of these things? I haven't actually checked the records and accounts, but it's now looking like it's worth doing.

mellowmeyer
05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
The whole story in Andy's word's can be found at this link: Andy Warr (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.saxophone/browse_thread/thread/5dd9b9577bce5720/ac4e70d1c8cf91fb?#ac4e70d1c8cf91fb) and at this one: S.G. has had my tenor over a year. (http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpost.php?p=68300&postcount=1)

John, this sounds exactly like a website I bumped into a while back, and I think it was Andy's...it described this situation in much greater detail, complete with annotated sources which he encouraged checking up on w/ the better business bureau of New Orleans, etc... In the interest of being completely fair, I am interested in actually following those routes to see the actual documentation and/or police reports. However, I googled all over and couldn't for the life of me find it. Do you know if the site is down now, or where to find it?

jbtsax
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
John, this sounds exactly like a website I bumped into a while back, and I think it was Andy's...it described this situation in much greater detail, complete with annotated sources which he encouraged checking up on w/ the better business bureau of New Orleans, etc... In the interest of being completely fair, I am interested in actually following those routes to see the actual documentation and/or police reports. However, I googled all over and couldn't for the life of me find it. Do you know if the site is down now, or where to find it?You may be thinking of this site: Steve Goodson Beware (http://home.earthlink.net/~keithhenson/goodsonbeware.html) by Keith Henson. To the best of my knowledge, Andy Warr has never posted a website about his negative experience with S.G. (Sax Gone?)

John

mellowmeyer
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Yep that was it, thanks. Don't know why I couldn't find the darned thing... Of course the fact that it's not Andy's is even more reason to be suspicious, because it's more than one instance of a very serious issue.

Might explain a reason why there are some people who are not as disappointed with his work... The bad ones, he keeps :shock:...funny, but...not so funny...sheesh.

beckysax
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
For what it's worth, I just had a vintage Buescher Bb soprano worked on at Saxquest. I picked up the case and it wasn't latched so the horn it the floor! Never do that!! George, at Saxquest did a fantastic job of straightening it and putting into top notch playing order. I would trust Saxquest with any of my beautiful vintage Bueschers. They are great. It would probably be worth shipping a horn from Honduras to get it worked on by someone who really, really knows what he's doing. Saxquest is tops in my book. I am lucky to live only an hour and a half away!

tbone
07-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Personally, videos only offer a brief overview of sax repair work and are entertainment at best. Don't get me wrong, of course you can learn something from them but you won't learn how to be a tech simply from watching some stupid video.

As far as JTBT's warnings, I've had two dealings with the person in question and both were not favorable. Fortunately they were both for short money.

jbtsax
07-23-2008, 02:14 AM
For what it's worth, I just had a vintage Buescher Bb soprano worked on at Saxquest. I picked up the case and it wasn't latched so the horn it the floor! Never do that!! George, at Saxquest did a fantastic job of straightening it and putting into top notch playing order. I would trust Saxquest with any of my beautiful vintage Bueschers. They are great. It would probably be worth shipping a horn from Honduras to get it worked on by someone who really, really knows what he's doing. Saxquest is tops in my book. I am lucky to live only an hour and a half away!I have heard many good reports about the work and integrity of Saxquest. I think it is very important when sending your instrument to someone "out of town" that the repair tech's credentials and reputation are impeccable. Too many nice people have been burned by unscrupulous and dishonest people in the music industry. I hope this thread stays open so that the information contained here is available to new members at SOTW.

John

mellowmeyer
07-26-2008, 07:07 PM
I have great respect for the services that Curt Altarac has made available to sax players under the name Musicmedic. However it utterly baffles me that he still has such a strong association and support towards a person who has wreaked so much discontent in the sax and repairer fraternity. I don't even begin to try to understand this.

This is a question that begs an answer. I, for one, do try to understand this. I have sent Curt a polite e-mail and a link to this thread asking him to have a look at it and perhaps shed some light on this "why." I find it odd, but perhaps he simply is not aware of the extent of the issue.

JerryJamz2
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
This is a question that begs an answer. I, for one, do try to understand this. I have sent Curt a polite e-mail and a link to this thread asking him to have a look at it and perhaps shed some light on this "why." I find it odd, but perhaps he simply is not aware of the extent of the issue.

I disagree. Don't cut Curt short, as he is fully aware of more than you might realize. He doesn't owe you or anyone an explanation of anything in regard to his personal or professional relationship with his former teacher, mentor, and industry colleague. They've known each other a long time, and haved worked together extensively, especially during the devopment of the now infamous Roo pads.

Knowing Curt to be the professional he is, I'm sure he is taking the high-road by respectfully not responding. NAPBIRT technicians have a code of ethics, in which Curt and many of us are members. The other person in question here is not a member any longer.

I doubt Curt will air laundry here or in private. I know I wouldn't. Besides, Curt doesn't give a rats butt what this other individual says or does. Each time this person does something large and negative in the playing world, its' positive for Curt's repair work and Music Medic. He's Curts best unpaid salesperson, IMO. I've never heard Curt speak a mean or negative thing about anyone in the years I have known him.

It's literally nobody's business but his.

mellowmeyer
07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Perhaps "begs" was an inappropriate choice of word, for which I apologize. I did not mean to imply I would "demand" an explanation. As I said, I would simply like to understand, it is not an ultimatum. If he chooses to not reply, I am not up to badgering him further. I don't believe he "owes" me anything either. In fact, it is partially in his interest that I ask. I disagree that any negative action by the other would benefit him. Others have mentioned Curt's excellent character, then not a product which he sells. For someone who has not dealt with him, this allows speculation by anyone who is just reading by. I didn't mention this just to put him on the spot.

I also do not seek negative or mean feedback. As I pointed out in previous posts, I consider the possibility that the information that is popular could be partly misinformation.

In any case, if he doesn't feel like replying, I'm content to drop it, and I apologize as well if I offended anyone, but I do not know precisely what the "code of ethics" is or was regarding this. I do not, however, believe any social pretense should be able to make the act of asking seem absurd. If it was audacious, then it was so simply because I do not understand, which is why I asked in the first place.

(EDIT) In any case, I've been mulling this a bit, and Jerry, you are correct about it being his business. My original reason for doing this via the forum was the concise yet large number of issues that were best viewed first-hand. However, whatever the justification, it was poor taste of me to ask in the public eye fashion I did. I have sent Curt an e-mail apologizing and I do the same to the SOTW community.

Jorns Bergenson
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I've never heard Curt speak a mean or negative thing about anyone in the years I have known him.
Curt is a "high road" kinda guy and his outstanding business practices are an example to anyone and everyone in the business, IMHO. And his shop is plenty busy because of it.

JerryJamz2
07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Luke. No problems. I know you meant well, and my post was not pointed directly at you. I just didn't want to see Curt called onto the carpet here or dragged into the mud in public. :TGNCHK: ;)

btw - are you flooding down there yet? :shock: Water levels are a foot high here.

mellowmeyer
07-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Understood, and rightly so.

I'm actually about an hour away from Binghamton now, work/fun for a week at a camp in PA, though the "40 days and nights" seemed to come here as well. I'll see when I get back on Wednesday, but my girlfriend e-mailed me and said the roof leaks in 3 spots lol. Time to see if my shellac sticks double as roofing tar (j/k) :D

JerryJamz2
07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I sure hope those roof leaks are not dripping on your tools. :shock::(;)

Sax Guy
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I just ran across this site as I was "Googling" for sites to list stolen saxes. No one has to defend or comment on Steve Goodson;s attitude except Steve himself. 5 years ago, I sent him a 5 digit MK VI alto to repair a broken post that he claimed he could fix. 5 years later, I'm still waiting to get my horn back. No emails, no calls, just BS from him initially, and now nothing. I even sent an insurance investigator to his door as I am out of state, and he acknowledged that he had the horn then. The investigator gave him 100$ right then to start working on it and finish it us as that's what Steve told him it would take to finish it up. NOTHING! Steve is a thief and has a lot to answer for himself. By the way, at the same time I sent him the horn, I bought a video of his off of Ebay, and he charged me twice, sent me one video, and never credited my back for the other. By that time he already had my horn. Game lost.

Maarten
05-31-2009, 05:29 PM
why the 5 years?
This is a heavy accusation. Can you confirm it?