PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Harvey Pittel...TEX SAX

SaxyAcoustician
11-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Does anyone have this saxophone choir CD titled Tex Sax? I pulled it out this morning after mention of Harvey Pittel in the 'Dream Quartet' thread.

My question is: Is there anybody here on this forum who played on this recording? I must say this is one of the better sax choir recordings I've heard. There are some moments on there where the saxes sounded like very woody violas and cellos--really great. :)

J.Max
11-05-2006, 10:11 PM
No, I didn't play on it, but I think I know someone who did. Shirley Diamond, who was a Pittel student (and is now the Professor of Saxophone at one of the Canadian Universities) and was a TA at IU when I was there is on that recording I believe. She formed a saxophone choir at IU while she was there and I remember her saying that she did one in Texas (and recorded) so she wanted to do another.

ejennings
11-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Speaking of Pittel and Tex Sax, the fall recital of the saxophone ensembles is Wednesday night, 11/18/06 at 8pm, central time.

At Univerisity of Texas, they webcast many of the recitals. This one is being webcast, you can get details at the URL below.

http://www.music.utexas.edu/calendar/details.aspx?id=3970

I wish other universities would webcast their classical saxophone recitals. If you know of others that do this, please let us all know about it.

trane in training
11-30-2007, 08:58 PM
I have copies of both TexSax cd's. I don't have the older one with me, but I'm pretty sure Todd Oxford played Bari on it, as well as Pittel himself on soprano.

wtoddoxford
08-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi, I realize this thread is a little old, but I'd like to reply. Players of note on the TEX SAX CD are:

Todd Oxford, Dan Goble, Todd Yukumoto, Shirley Diamond, Jim Butler, Bill Graves, Javier Oviedo, and Harvey Pittel

Angel
08-19-2008, 07:44 PM
That's a veritable all-star team of Pittel students. Were ALL of you students at the same time?

Angel

wtoddoxford
09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes,

Most of us were graduate students and professional performers during the time this album was recorded in 1998.

Cheers !

Jim Butler
12-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Talk about a blast from the past. Sure I played on it. Just now I fished it out...liner notes say I played soprano and alto saxophone. Working as Harvey Pittel's student and along side the other students who were such great players was an intense and great experiance. Todd Oxford, Harvey Pittel, and Dan Goble's wonderful playing really stands out in my memory. But all those guys were something else: Bill Graves, Andrea Gilbert, Thomas Poole, David Reed, Javier Oviedo, Kevin Russell, Todd Yukumoto. Jerry Junkin conducting. Mark Bartly arranged one of the Bach transcriptions. What an exceptionally talented collection of players.

AngrySacks
01-11-2009, 04:41 AM
the harvy Pittel Saxophone Ensemble is one of the greatest musical groups of all time. It is on par with the Berlin philarhomic and the topeka symphony. I had the pleasure of hearing them live in '01 and it was Mindboggling how incredibly delicate their tones were. tt was like listening to birds awakening fom a long and dark winter slumber on an early summer mornig. I spoke to harv and he thanked me for listening. I consider him a Friend after our encounter.

Sincrly,

Angrysacks

OAThousandLives
05-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I used to study under Harvey Pittel in '98 and went to all the Quartet performances. They played amazingly well together - wish I could hear them live again!

hakukani
05-16-2009, 07:52 AM
the harvy Pittel Saxophone Ensemble is one of the greatest musical groups of all time. It is on par with the Berlin philarhomic and the topeka symphony. I had the pleasure of hearing them live in '01 and it was Mindboggling how incredibly delicate their tones were. tt was like listening to birds awakening fom a long and dark winter slumber on an early summer mornig. I spoke to harv and he thanked me for listening. I consider him a Friend after our encounter.

Sincrly,

Angrysacks

Berlin Phil and Topeka Symphony. LOL.

javieroviedo
11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
This IS a blast from the past! As a member of the choir for the original CD I have to mention what an honor it was to perform with such a powerhouse of talent! We had a great time too! I was just finishing my undergraduate degree at UT when we began the project so it was a bit daunting to record with these guys but they made it seem so easy.

Cheers!
Javier Oviedo
www.classicalsaxproject.org