PDA

View Full Version : Selmer Saxophones with high F# key prior to Balanced Action

saxmouthpiece.com
07-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Has anyone ever seen an older selmer sax prior to a balanced action model with a high F# key?
Stayn'scool
Jey Clark-Saxmouthpiece.com :shock:

AMASAX
07-17-2003, 06:05 PM
nope, to best of my knowledge, F# became a published option on the SBA horns after WWII. First listed in US catalogs around 1950 or so, but I believe it was listed in Euro catalogs prior to that, as most of the SBA altos I've encountered made in the 1940s were Euro horns.

I've only seen one Balanced Action horn w/F#; it was an alto, 29,xxx that I used to own, and the keywork implementation was different than the modern layout.

Have not seen any mention of F# in any of the pre-WWII catalogs I have, altho there may have been something listed in Euro catalogs.

Is worth noting, however, that if one antied up the $$, in the old days Selmer would make pretty much whatever one wanted, so there may be some goodies out there waiting to be discovered.

Jey, what's up, you on to sumpin' here ?? :o

AMASAX
07-17-2003, 06:06 PM
oh, btw, that 29,xxx alto i used to own was a Euro model, if memory serves...

saxmouthpiece.com
07-18-2003, 03:44 AM
...It does seem that the high F# key (along with several other changes) became more of a standard offering after 1947 when Selmer resumed production of horns in Paris. I have only seen one balanced action model with a high F# key as well. You can see by selmers changing of models and features in the 1920's & 30's that they were trying all kinds of things and they probably didn't "settle" on an F# design until later.
About 20 years ago I had the priviledge to study saxophone repair for some time with Ludwig Toepher in San Francisco. Several years ago "Lud" put together a book of his Vintage Selmer sax collection with pictures and descriptions of 24 horns made from 1922 - 1941. None of them had high F# keys.
Cheers...

AMASAX
07-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Jey, 2 items:

* was that an alto or tenor BA with the F# ?

* was it implemented like the one I had, which was a single key, direct action, design very similar to high E key, just stacked on top of the high E key ??

thx