PDA

View Full Version : new buescher

clarnibass
06-28-2003, 07:00 AM
hi, i'm a clarinet and bass clarinet player but i want to start playing saxophone too. i was so close to buy a selmer soprano sax but i'm not sure now. i heard a lot of good things about the old buescher models but i'd like to know how is the new ones? they cost only 550$. i don't know about saxes, but a clarinet that cost that little is usually unplayable at best. if they are good i can buy an alto and soprano in less than half the money a selmer soprano would cost me.
any help would be appreciated.

Gordon (NZ)
06-28-2003, 10:02 AM
The student Bueschers I have worked on are similar in (lack of ) quality to their clarinets.

MusicMedic
06-28-2003, 03:45 PM
I agree. The New Bueschers (although I have only seen a few) are not very good quality at all.

Interestingly, I saw a "Selmer Aristocrat" at the NAMM show. It was the same instrument as the Student Bueschers but I did not see a mention of "Buescher" on it.

Roger Aldridge
06-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Claribass,

It's good to run into you here on the sax forum! Here are my personal opinions.....

Avoid the new Bueschers. They are NOTHING like the great horns that Buescher (the real Buescher company) made in the 20's through the 50's. There are a number of vintage Buescher models: True-Tone, New Aristocrat, Aristocrat, 400.... All of them are excellent horns in their own ways. I'd be happy with any one of them! It would be a good idea to research the different models (via www.saxpics.com and the discussions on this forum) and see if there is one in particular that speaks to you. The best thing, of course, is to actually try out a selection of vintage Bueschers -- if this is possible for you.

Another thing I'd suggest is to think about getting a vintage horn from a quality source. Yes, it's possible to get a good horn on ebay, yard sales, trades with other sax players, etc. But, in my experience there is something to be said for getting a horn from a known source that is highly respected and has a track record of proven integrity. Sometimes if you get a horn on the cheap you could end up paying MORE for it in repair expenses. Again, it's possible to get a really good deal in various ways. It's happened to me! But, I'm trying to recommend a way to get a high quality vintage horn so that you don't have to worry about getting burned. In particular, as you are new to the saxophone.

On that basis, I highly recommend that you check out Gayle's website at www.vintagesax.com . Her vintage horns are top quality and her prices are reasonable. Each horn is in superb playing condition and you shouldn't need to spend additional money on repairs. Gayle is also an expert on vintage Bueschers. You could call her and talk about any questions you have. Gayle currently has a 1929 Buescher True-Tone alto for $900. This could be a good horn for that amount of money. I have a similar 1929 Buescher alto and it's a really sweet horn. $1,200 to $2,000 can put you in the price range of the later Buescher models.

Hornlip
06-28-2003, 09:06 PM
What Roger said.

I would only add that The True-Tone horns from the later 20's would be an especially good deal for a first saxophone. First, they are not hard to come by. Second, they have a lovely tone. Third, they're cheap, probably the cheapest vintage Buescher you can get. Fourth, they're sturdily made and have good intonation. Fifth, they are flexible -- they have the rep of being classical horns but they are excellent jazz horns, too. Sixth, they can stay with you a lifetime, and you can take them to any level.

Had I known more about saxophones when I bought my first I would sooner have gone straight for a True Tone in good shape than waste time on a "learner" horn. The keywork isn't as big and ergonomically friendly as more modern horns, but if you've already got clarinet experience, you shouldn't have any trouble with the keywork on a TT.

Roger Aldridge
06-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Clarnibass,

Another vintage horn place to check out is Dave Hoskins at www.junkdude.com . Dave is a great guy. I've gone quite a bit of business with him and can vouch for his complete honesty. In fact, I got my Buescher TT alto from Dave. His horns are normally a bit cheaper than Gayle's. The main reason is that Dave doesn't work on his horns like Gayle does. Some of his horns are in ready to play condition while others may need some work. He is always up-front and clear about their condition. Even though Dave uses the name Junk Dude the horns he sells AREN'T junk. :lol: I checked Dave's site last night and he has several Buescher altos that appear to be very nice horns -- including one New Aristocrat. This is the holy grail of some classical saxophonists.

Let us know if you have more questions. Good luck on your search!

Wailin'
06-30-2003, 01:47 PM
I bought a Beuscher alto sax from Sam Ashe and was told by the sales person that it was new. Now in aproximatley 6 monts certain portions of it are turning green. What should I do? I still have my receipt. The sales girl told me that since it's more than 30 days there's nothing they could do. Should a new sax turn green in such a short time?

MusicMedic
06-30-2003, 07:01 PM
You should have the store that you bought it from call the Selmer company. Certainly they will stand behind a product that is only 6 months old.

Let us know how it works out.

DaveKessler
06-30-2003, 09:21 PM
I bought a Beuscher alto sax from Sam Ashe and was told by the sales person that it was new. Now in aproximatley 6 monts certain portions of it are turning green. What should I do? I still have my receipt. The sales girl told me that since it's more than 30 days there's nothing they could do. Should a new sax turn green in such a short time?

Selmer should have a one year warranty on the Bueschers (industry standard) against defects in workmanship & materials.

I would recommend contacting Selmer directly yourself. If you still have your portion of the warranty card, it should have their info.

popsax
07-01-2003, 03:55 AM
Wailin, the girl at Sam Ash gave you some bum scoop. Sam Ash Music has a FORTY-FIVE day return policy.

Wailin'
07-01-2003, 04:37 AM
MusicMedic, I took it back and they did call Selmer. They gave me a brand new Beuscher...maybe the previous one was a floor model.