PDA

View Full Version : Mouthpiece Conn Precision !!!

didier.heck
06-16-2003, 01:13 PM
My herited Conn transitional is equiped with a Conn Precision mouthpiece
Looking in different forum, it seams that this mouthpiece is crap !!!
Does everybody agree ?
What would be the good mouthpiece choice for a beginner having the chance to start on a vintage Conn ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

DDA

morgan
06-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Well, instead of "crap", I would say "only interesting to a few people with particular interests".

morgan
06-16-2003, 05:08 PM
For a beginner who just wants a decent mouthpiece, not wildly expensive, and not specialized toward any particular sound, it's hard to do better than a Runyon Custom. And yes it works great on a 6M like yours.

Actually for a pro there's not a lot better than a Runyon Custom.

Sigmund451
03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I received one of the Conn Precision Tenor MPCs as a "throw in" on a trade (thanks Mike). It was chipped. Ive been playing with facings and the like and after taking out the chip on the tip and messing with it a while I have found that on my Martin tenor this mouthpiece offers a wide thick sound. I dont know what to say about them as a stock piece but with a bit of playing around Im finding it to be a surprisingly entertaining addition to my collection. A little large in the mouth for what Im used to but Im adjusting...its worth the sound.

Saxturtle
03-08-2004, 04:43 AM
My experience with my Conn Precision can be summed up in the following way (cover the children's ears): well, let's just say, not very good. It's usually a throwaway MPC included with badly used rent to own horns, which is exactly how I acquired mine back in the day...Use it for your first year or get a real mpc as soon as your playing transitions from learning the fingerings to working on tone.

Sigmund451
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I have good mouthpieces and reworked this thing stands next to all of them. I realize its hard to believe but after the table was flattened, the facing curve opened and shortened it seems pretty good. I thought of it as a throw away too but perhaps others experience is with straight out of the mold badly finished pieces. I certainly dont claim to be a refinisher. I think I got half lucky and got this one right. I play it next to my Morgan and get a bigger and slightly less buzzy tone with tons of projection. Most likely I will destroy the next piece I work on :wink:

bruce bailey
03-09-2004, 07:29 AM
The only thing I can see good about the Conn P is that it is good for putting on a Conn horn to sell it on ebay.

donnc
01-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Ha! Found this old thread, while researching my Conn Precision bari mouthpiece, #2 facing. Because, I like it a lot! Wouldn't use it for everything, but for a relatively dark sound with a nice, characteristic edge, it's the best I have at this time. I like my Runyon Custom too, but it's `brighter.'

JayePDX
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
f'get it...this thread is 10 years old....

donnc
01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
And the mouthpiece is much older than 10 years, for that matter. I'm guessing that similar mouthpiece might be found today in the Runyon 88?

bruce bailey
01-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Runyon designed the Conn Comet mouthpiece and for many years made mouthpieces for a lot of companies. When I worked for Buffet in the 70s, we got our Evette mouthpieces from Runyon and I think they cost us about $3 each.