PDA

View Full Version : Using Band in a Box

MisterGuru
12-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Using BIAB 2005 - If choose Tenor Sax for the Melody instrument in a song, it quickly transposes the sheet music, but it doesn't sound right when I play along.

I don't know if it's an octave off or what... pretty new to BIAB.

Anyone else use BIAB for a play along and want to share what you do?

TJS
12-24-2005, 12:57 AM
When I select a different instrument to play the melody the score stays in concert. I wonder if it's somehow transposing the entire thing and therefore putting it in a different key than you are playing in. Very strange. I would try to help more but don't seem to be able to emulate your problem. Sorry.

saxmanglen
12-24-2005, 01:11 AM
You've got mail. I've responded to your email you sent me. I hope it helps.

Glen

fballatore
12-24-2005, 01:55 AM
This confuses me also. I'm trying to work on Harlem Nocturne, and I have sheet music that I've been working with, and someone just sent me the BIAB file. When I opened the BIAB file, it was in the key of D, and the melody didn't match the sheet music I had. I changed the key in BIAB to F, and the notations matched my hard copy sheet music. When I play the BIAB file, the pitch sounds nothing like it should, so when I try to play with the BIAB backing, it sounds like I'm totally out of tune. It's very confusing to me.

Frank

saxmanglen
12-24-2005, 02:04 AM
You must remember that saxophones are "transposing" instuments. You can see in the attached chart how that relates to 'C' concert instruments and Bb or Eb horns.

Frank, if your are playing your alto (Eb horn) in the key of F the BIAB key needs to be set to G# or Ab to match your pitch. This chart illustrates the transpositional differences as simple as most.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/pictures/Transp_chart.gif

Glen

goodsax
12-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm glad you guys are having this discussion as I just downloaded my newly purchased copy of BIAB and haven't really had a chance to give it a try. The first glance at it seemed fairly intimidating because of all the options. A friend recommended it and I'd like to get the full benefit from it as soon as possible. I'll be watching this, and other BIAB, thread for more good info. Thanks.

fballatore
12-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Glen -

I see what you're saying. I just assumed that Band in a Box was smart enough to do the transposing since I've chosen alto sax as the melody instrument in the tune. So you're saying that even though I do this, the notation is still in concert pitch? That would explain why I'm not in tune with the backing.

Frank

saxmanglen
12-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Frank,

Try changing it back to the "concert" key and play with the backings. Let us know what happens. I've never used the "alto", "tenor" transposing feature.

MisterGuru
12-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Yes, exactly... that is what I was NOT doing: transposing.

CTRL-ALT 6 twice will transpose the lead up two half steps and be right for the tenor sax. Then I print off the sheet music and hit CTRL-ALT 5 twice to return it to "concert key."

Thanks Glen and the rest!

I think I will try to make a recording tomorrow... 2nd day playing after 19 year layoff... then I can see if I sound better in 3 and 6 months!

saxmanglen
12-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm glad you guys are having this discussion as I just downloaded my newly purchased copy of BIAB and haven't really had a chance to give it a try. The first glance at it seemed fairly intimidating because of all the options. A friend recommended it and I'd like to get the full benefit from it as soon as possible. I'll be watching this, and other BIAB, thread for more good info. Thanks.

Be sure to check out the official BIAB forum at the following link:

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1

goodsax
12-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Be sure to check out the official BIAB forum at the following link:

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1Excellent tip, Glen. Thanks a lot.

Brendan Muse
12-24-2005, 04:14 AM
See, when you transpose the score, you literally transpose the entire score. There is a way to set the display so that it is transposed, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. Try playing around with the lead sheet settings.

ralph lh
12-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Not quite sure if my solution is what has been discussed but if you want to play reading the chords on the screen, changing the key of the piece won't cut it for you. What you can do is set the key of the tune for the 'right' chords/notes to play for your horn and then use the 'preference' section to change the playback pitch - for example for an alto sax there would be an adjustment of +3, if I remember correctly. By doing this you can read the screen and BIAB will be playing in the right key for you to play your horn.

Hope this helps.
Ralph

MisterGuru
12-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Not quite sure if my solution is what has been discussed but if you want to play reading the chords on the screen, changing the key of the piece won't cut it for you. What you can do is set the key of the tune for the 'right' chords/notes to play for your horn and then use the 'preference' section to change the playback pitch - for example for an alto sax there would be an adjustment of +3, if I remember correctly. By doing this you can read the screen and BIAB will be playing in the right key for you to play your horn.

Hope this helps.
Ralph
Thanks!! in BIAB 2005 it is under Options/Preferences or hit CTRL-E then Leadsheet (ALT-L) then Notation Options/Transpose Options

Sassaphone
12-24-2005, 07:14 PM
The Guru has it right, Options, Preferences, and half way down the page, concert pitch adjustment. It's plus three for alto and minus 2 for tenor.

MisterGuru
12-24-2005, 09:33 PM
or + 14 for tenor