PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Pads

trumpetbil
02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
:) I've tried using the "wax" textured paper after postage stamps have been removed. Semms to be the solution, so far!

Durand
02-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Applying a little baby powder with a Q-tip to the messing pad also works well, unless for me

Andrew
03-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Baby Powder and a dollar bill.

Andrew
03-01-2003, 07:53 AM
BTW, did you know it is true that there already is a certain powder on most american paper money? The powder just so happens to be cocaine. Just an interesting fact I learned.

Tears June
03-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Stick pad is happen when you're playing the horn after for a while, let say 30 minutes or an hour later. In all case, it must be happened but you can minimize the problem. What I'm doing is:

Everytime after playing your horn. Use printing white paper, then pad cleaning paper and finally power paper. Also, better use a pad saver, just put it into your horn when it's not use. Keep the pad dry.

:cry:

Gordon (NZ)
03-03-2003, 04:40 AM
Has anybody tried lycopodium powder? Could it be the secret ingredient in Gig Dust? It has very strong resistance to combining with moisture.

Gordon (NZ)
03-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Has anybody tried lycopodium powder? Could it be the secret ingredient in Gig Dust? It has very strong resistance to combining with moisture.

MPL
03-05-2003, 07:46 PM
How long should sticky pads - as in new Prestinis - stay sticky? I know this answer will depend on how much the horn is used, the local humidity, etc.
I had this horn repadded last summer with the black Prestinis, and it seems like I have to use a "Crud Patch" and some "Gig Dust" about every three weeks or so on at least half of the pads. I was not aware that this kind of pad would be an ongoing maintenance issue before I had them installed.

I had a different horn (a Conn 12M) earlier last year that was done with standard pads (unsure what make) and never had any problems with pads sticking.

Gordon (NZ)
03-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Although sticking can be from many causes, the most persistent one seems to be surface treatments used on pads for waterproofing.

Some leather pads seem doomed to be sticky forever. I've struck some on a top model, new clarinet that resist every treatment I have tried.

I hate to say this, but it may well be the treatment that made the pads black!

CashSax
03-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Well in spite of opening my little can o' worms, I've been resorting to applying a very thin film of oil on the tone holes that are really bothersome..seems to work..oil don't stick ya know.. And Gordon !! saw my first ref 54 up close today..not an impressive feel in the hands and I noticed your undersized pad issue..that's really WEIRD man..then the sales guy tells me Antigua is now making student "Selmers"..ARRGGGHHH it's the end of the world :evil:

mr00420
03-07-2003, 07:49 AM
I have a seriously sticky G# pad that fumbles runs or movement between it and anywhere from E on up. This is a recently overhauled, re-padded alto w/ immaculate leather pads w/ metal "ruffled" resonators. It seemed sticky from when I bought it, but the G# pad has gotten worse. I tried tissue paper, but no go. I live in Japan, so I guess I'll try Japanese bills. I'm afraid to buy anything from my trusty local horn shop b/c all the prices are inflated.

What kind of oil are you using on the tone holes? What kind of effect (i.e. damage) does have on the longevity and performance of the pad itself? I know leather should react o.k. w/ oil, but constant use must leave a stain or wet spot on the pad, which would sounds like it would degrade the pad after a while.

Also, when the baby powder gets wet, doesn't that collect on the pads? There aren't any problems using this?

P.S.: The cocaine on the dollar bills is a joke, right?

CashSax
03-07-2003, 08:19 AM
I've used my current key oil (valvoline 50 wt) which is basically just machine oil..just a tiny film seems to work wonders, not enough to soak the pad..!

CashSax
03-07-2003, 08:26 AM
BTW...I don't necessarily"recommend" this oil deal on toneholes but I play professionally and I need a fix thats foolproof.I can't afford a sticky pad..I have noticed NO ill effects so far..

mr00420
03-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Well, after trying different countries' paper money of various denominations, and having equally varied success in de-stickifying my pads (the G# key in specific,) I finally gave-up and went to my trusty neighborhood horn shop and laid down a small wad of cash to purchase a some Selmer pad "paper" and some Padlife-like cleaner. Though the total of the two products, about $23, seems hefty to me (it's a tiny eyedropper size bottle) it has succeed in not only de-sticking the pads, it also made my horn oh, so silent when doing runs. It's worked really well so far. I was told to clean the problem pads (High D-F, octaves, G#, and C#) w/ the paper only, after every play to keep them from sticking and degrading. The paper is like one of those "super-water -only-sponges" and can be used over and over again until, I guess, it's completely crusted over.

Cameron Wigmore
03-09-2003, 05:51 PM
A friend of mine 'works' in a jail and they said that the larger bills always test positive for cocaine. The reason is that almost all money everywhere has at some point been through the hands of a dealer or user. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :lol:

Pads stick. It bites. Some are worse than others. Some materials clean pads better than others. The obvious thing to point out is that we all push a bunch of spit and lung humidity through our horns, and some of us have "stickier" humidity. Beer is a great offender. So is toothpaste, so don't brush your teeth RIGHT before playing.

I have a silocone based product called "SLIDE-O-MIX". No, there are no slides on a sax. It's the small bottle half of a mix, (not the BIG bottle), for trombone slides. A little on a sticky pad will slick it up nicely, and waterproof it too! 8) [/i]

RS
03-09-2003, 06:03 PM
I have found that Charlie A's "gig dust" works well. I sprinkle a little on a gun cleaning patch, spread it evenly over the patch, and apply it by sliding it under the pad, holding the pad down, and then pulling the patch out. Sometimes several applications over a few days is necessary but eventual the pad stops sticking. At least for a while.

mr00420
03-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Sorry dor the digression... but since when do people test BILLS for cocaine? Someone said this originally about U.S. money, but you're going to tell me this is true for Canadian bills as well? Sound like a real urban legend to me.

Sigmund451
08-13-2003, 06:55 AM
.......Im gonna have to go sniff some money now.

...Ive had a stressful day :idea:

jim schmidt
09-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Forget all the treatments. Replace your sticky leather pads with brass foil pads and be done with it. They don't stick because there is brass right on the surface of the pad. They don't stick, don't warp, and they are quiet. Problem solved!

Jim Schmidt
see them at
www.jsengineering.net

Fred
09-22-2003, 04:38 PM
The cocaine on the money is not an urban legend. I've run the test myself a couple of times and found the residue both times. Both involved money siezed during a raid that was drug-related, but my information leads me to believe that larger denominations often contain some drug residue.

And no . . . it wasn't done for personal interest. I was a crime lab chemist at the time.

Sigmund451
09-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Well, I have thus far found Gig Dust to be at least helpful with the sticky-icky sound of some of my keys and it is currently keeping the G# in line. As for the Low E flat key on the bottom of the bow....not cutting it. I think the best solution there is a little piece of paper...just too much moisture building up there and so nicely held shut by the springs. The test now is how often I have to shove junk into my horn to keep it working right.

Gordon (NZ)
10-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Was it in this forum that somebody named a pearly powder that was the probable powder in Gig Dust? 'Polycrystaline graphite' or some such thing?

Saxdaddy
10-05-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't know the name of the stuff, but Gordon next time you order from Allied, Get the(dry lube, or dry puffs) ? not sure on the name, but they only have 1, and the stuff is great. If it isn't the dust, then its just as good if not better, and pretty easy on the wallet.