PDA

View Full Version : RIA alto mouthpieces

Eulipion2
05-14-2003, 03:28 AM
I hate to keep posting, asking about this mouthpiece and that, but I was always told that there was one simple choice for a jazz alto mouthpiece, and that it was a Meyer, but that didn't do it for me, so I'm curious, and I'm exploring. So, here's another query:
How would you describe the sound of an RIA mouthpiece? Bright/dark, focused/broad, full/thin, etc. etc....
Thanks

colibri
05-14-2003, 06:25 AM
The RIA is bright and compact. Both the metal and hard rubber version has a high baffle.

MojoBari
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Similar design to Bergs (0-1 baffles), but generally better made. Made out of HR, Silver plated brass, or Aluminum alloy. There are normal and slim models, but the interior design is the same.

RS
05-14-2003, 06:19 PM
I have been using RIA bari pieces for years. They give me plenty of power and cut (especially with one of Mojo's stick-in baffles) but can get a warm and mellow sound too that blends well in a section. But the RIA alto pieces don't work well for me. I find them hard and chirpy sounding. Brittle almost. On alto I use a JVW finished Meyer which is a killer piece. Extremely easy and free-blowing with plenty of power but with good meat on the sound. But since Jon is gone, if I were looking to get a new alto piece I would look at Ralph Morgan's pieces. They're pretty close to a well finished Meyer and the prices are reasonable. Runyon Customs are good pieces for the money and with the spoiler insert can really rip. Vandorens I like fairly well for alto. Bergs can play pretty well but you might need to experiment with a few to find the right combination of tip opening and baffle. Alot of cats like Beechlers but they're hard to blow for me. Alot of resistance. I like easy blowing pieces.

Dave Dolson
05-14-2003, 07:46 PM
I feel like I'm repeating myself (and I am . . .), everyone reacts differently to mouthpieces. Whoever told you that Meyers were YOUR answer was not being realistic.

All anyone can tell you is what plays well - FOR THEM, not you. The process of finding a decent-playing mouthpiece is one you must suffer through (although I don't suffer with this process - it is fun).

The way to do it is to take your horn and your reeds and ligatures to a store that has a variety of mouthpieces - and start playing them in a practice room. Then you buy what you like, take it home and learn it. After a while, you'll become dissatisfied and start the process over again. In the end, the guy with the most mouthpieces wins!! So far, I think I'm in the lead . . . DAVE

Vortex
04-23-2004, 06:22 PM
I find the baffle in alto RIA's to be really strange, kind of a step-baffle but with a bullet-shaped indentation. I felt inside the piece and there is actually a slight indentation extending under the baffle, kind of like this.

____/
__) <----indentation in the RIA

____/
__| <-------no indentation, flat step

I was playing it in an opening my chops can definately handle and got a lot of resistance and frequent squeaking. I used a few different types of reeds and had the same problems with all.