PDA

View Full Version : What is your Back-up sax?

gary
05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I've seen this referred to but just as a side comment here and there. I would be interested in knowing what your back-up horn(s) is/are.

My purpose, frankly, is to see what kind of reasonably priced sax someone who is regularly gigging is willing to settle for as a back-up. Fanatical collectors are exempt from posting unless one of those horns is a bona fide gigger's back up.

To put in perspective your back up, would you please post your primary sax(es) also.

OK I'll start. Ooops. I can't start. I don't have any back ups.

Randall
05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
OK Gary, since you obviously are trying to prevent me from posting, I find the overwhelming urge to post anyway :twisted:

Back ups:
sop: Cannonball Big Bell curvy
alto: a late model Buescher 400 (post Selmer)
tenor: Cannonball Big Bell
bari: Selmer SBA

Primary horns (currently):
sop: Keilwerth SX90II
alto: Cannonball 98
tenor: Medusa Special sterling silver
bari: Keilwerth SX90R

gary
05-06-2005, 12:49 AM
OK Gary, since you obviously are trying to prevent me from posting, I find the overwhelming urge to post anyway :twisted: ROTFLMAO!!!
Gee. Guess pre-emptive strikes don't work anymore, wot?!

Randall, O-Sensei. What, IYO, would be the cheapest alternative to a Keilwerth SX 90R tenor with the least re-adjusting to on short notice?

Randall
05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Gary, good question....
Depends on your budget and tastes; but I would say the Cannonball Big Bell in black nickle or a Buescher 400.

If you can locate a B&S 2001 you would probably be most happy....but they are somewhat of a hybrid of the VI and JK, IMHO. This is in no way a bad thing....

(Stephan's "Manga" is supposedly from the same factory as a certain Tawanese horn that takes its name from a portly alto player of some note.
eh hm....)
That would be a possibility to look into since you are near....
Stephan hasn't made good on his promise to send me one for trial yet...so the jury is still out on how it plays.

Bill Mecca
05-06-2005, 03:29 AM
no gots... I'd take just about anything that played.

Primary: Buffet SDA c. 1961

SilverNeck20
05-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Main horns: Tenor - King Super 20 / Alto - Selmer SBA

Backup horns: Tenor - Indiana (Martin Handcraft stencil made in the '30's) I generally use this for outside gigs by the water, or if the S20 is in the shop.
Alto - My dads Selmer BA.

sw3119
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
My main horns are:
Selmer Mark VII tenor
Selmer Mark VII alto

I have a saxophone.com alto that I keep as a backup. It plays very well, and is basically a copy of a Mark VII or Series II so the set up is very similar. I had a Series II alto as well but sold it. I also have a King Zephyr alto, It's for sale at my tech's shop.

On tenor I have a 'The Woodwind' tenor which is also a cheap copy of a VII or Series II. I also have a King Zephyr tenor (1939). I recently took my selmer tenor in for an overhaul. I originally thought that I would use my "Woodwind" tenor as the back-up because of the similar set up. But after trying both I found I really loved playing the Zephyr. I was going to sell the Zephyr and keep the 'woodwind' as a back-up, but now I'm thinking of doing the opposite. I only paid $300 for the 'woodwind' so I should be able to break even at least.

For some reason, although I love the Zephyr tenor, I was never able to get the same feeling from the Zephyr alto. That I why I'm selling the Zephyr alto. Also, I could never get back what I paid for the sax.com alto (about $900) so I might as well keep it.

SAXISMYAXE
05-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I have WAY too many horns. Whatever horns in my collection that don't qualify as the "Darlings" at any given time, become the backup horns to those that do. I find myself switching around more and more these days to keep it fun :D

GenericGuy
05-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I went a little extreme when I found the right sax for me... Main axe is a Millennium Ser. III, backup is a Millennium Ser. III.

http://www.jasonharron.com/Altos01.JPG

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to change anything about my playing style or hand position if I'm playing my back-up.

martysax
05-07-2005, 12:03 AM
My main BattleAxe is my 1962 King Super 20 tenor, the back-up is a '64 vintage Mark VI.

Dave Dolson
05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Soprano - Buescher TT straight silver, circa 1928
Alto - Selmer Reference 54
Clarinet - Buffet RC Prestige

Back-ups can be any of the others in my closet - like saxismyaxe says, way too many horns - I bring along back-ups, but they are the flavor-of-the-month for me. DAVE

OnyxSax
05-07-2005, 07:18 PM
My true bona-fide backup is my beater 10M. The Mark VI and Chu rotate as primary horns (although when one is in the shop, I'll use the other). I use the 10M on outdoor gigs when there is no cover.

I keep a WW&BW soprano sax as my backup soprano.

danodownunder
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Main tenor SML rev d lacquerless and screaming
back up selmer S80 ll
dont have back up for alto pre selmer buescher 141 crat 400 frankenstein
or my soprano mk6 selmer
or baritone post selmer buescher 400
i have had a few horns before these and a lot on my knee for repairs,,,,, feel lucky to have these..........

SteveS
06-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Main alto - 186,xxx Selmer Mark VI
Main tenor - 92,xxx Selmer Mark VI

Backup alto - 1953 vintage SML Rev D
Backup tenor - 1937 vintage Conn 10M

Of course, there'd be NO shame at all in dragging EITHER backup to a gig -- particularly for small combos. The Mark VI's are still strongly preferred for Big Band, though.

Saxturtle
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Main: 61 King Super 20 Tenor
Backup: Buescher TT

Martin Williams
10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Main horns: see my signature.

My backup horn is simply my first horn I got when I began playing. A Bundy II alto

A Greene
10-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I just keep fairly new Yamaha 23 beginner horns as back-ups. I've not had many issues with my primary Tenor or Alto. I do have a Mystery? Manufactuered Soprano that I use if the my good soprano is having issues. I can't afford anything that spectacular.

It's seems I'd be happy with many players back-up horns as my primary ones.

Alto Giant
10-28-2005, 07:04 PM
I can't afford back-ups

Bill Mecca
10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I hear ya... I have a Martin Indiana that is practically in pieces, that's my back up... or actually (phone dialing) Joe? can I borrow.....:)

some day that Martin will play again. maybe if I keep saying it enough it will happen...(clicking heels together) :lol:

CMelodyMan
10-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Back-up sax: King Voll-True

Primary sax: Yanagisawa Elimona

xuanvu
10-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Alto: Ref. 54, only one, no back up... When I have enough money, I'll get the Inderbinen and probably the Ref. 54 will be my back up.

Soprano: Main - R&C R1 Jazz curved; Back-up - Borgani Jubilee straight... Not really a back up but I do play the R1 Jazz more often.

Kenny.

BayviewSax
11-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Mains:
Mauriat soprano (just ordered, awaiting)
Vito alto (Yani years)
1969 Mark VI tenor
1967 Mark VI bari

b/u:
Selmer SerieIII tenor... for now. I may grab another VI and move the III.

Daktion
11-03-2005, 03:49 AM
a 1988 no brand name recorder.

I'm just playing that while waiting for my P to arrive. somehow, the feeling just isnt the same

Captain Beeflat
11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Main horn....Rampone & Cazzani R1
Back-up......Grazzi Professional 2000
The R&C is so reliable however, that I have never had to resort to the Grazzi as a back-up.

Kritavi
11-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Main soprano:Keilwerth Armstrong Heritage
Backup: Buescher True Tone

Main Alto: 180,xxx Gold Plated Chu
Back up Alto: 290,xxx 6m

Main Tenor: SML Coleman Hawkins Special
Backup tenor: 1949 King Super 20

No back up for my Leblanc Bass Clarinet or Big B bari:cry:

danodownunder
11-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Nice to hear of another SML player my main tenor is revD, sml alto conn 6m with rolled tone holes and selmer 6 soprano. stopped playing my selmer tenor upon getting my SML have never looked back am selling it and back up at the moment is my repair skills

2thmechanic
12-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Primary alto: 1927 Conn New Wonder "Chu Berry", Ser. No. 210,XXX
Outdoor horn: 1970 Conn Director "Shooting Star"

Dave Stevens

58tenor
12-14-2005, 06:32 AM
Living dangerously....no backup unit.:shock: Primary is a newish Allora tenor. If it proves as reliable as my old Selmer Super there will be no worries. That horn was as reliable as an anvil. Owned a Martin and a Conn which were both pretty dicey to keep going.I have thought of buying a cheapo asian sax just for the heck of it. Curious how bad/good those things are.

The Selmer was pretty ratty looking and I never worried about it much. Now I'm a bit paranoid with the Allora when playing out. If I owned a real high-dollar horn it would be even worse, like parking a Ferrari in the Home Depot parking lot.:cry:

fballatore
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
My primary horn now is a YAS-62 Mark II, and my backup is a YAS-52. Like I even need a backup, I can barely play the primary. :D

VaSaxPro
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
My Main saxes are

Alto: Yamaha 62 II
Tenor: Yamaha 62 Silver plate

My sole backup axe (I'm a poor college kid) is a 1928 Silver Plated Buescher True Tone Alto (Low Pitch obviously)

dpwadw
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
primaries...read my sig.

backups:
sop - none
alto - Conn Mex Director (just look at it and it starts to leak)
tenor - Vito (a virtual tank)

Dr_sax
03-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Just no back-up. Sold them all as they never came close to the primaries.

Blackwolf42
03-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Primary: Tenor=Selmer Reference 54
Soprano=Cannonball Stone Series

Backups: Tenor=Yamaha YTS-23
Buescher Aristocrat that I am planning on
selling eventually, but I like the way it
plays much more than the Yamaha, just
like the Selmer better and use the
Yamaha for school
Soprano=none

BayviewSax
03-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Mains:
Mauriat soprano (just ordered, awaiting)
Vito alto (Yani years)
1969 Mark VI tenor
1967 Mark VI bari

b/u:
Selmer SerieIII tenor... for now. I may grab another VI and move the III.

update:

mains:
LA Sax soprano
Conn Tranny alto
1969 Mark VI tenor
1967 Mark VI bari

b/u:
Vito alto (finally found something that plays better)
1974 Mark VI tenor (I actually rotate this dependent upon my mood... this one is sick, in terms of control over tonal quality {want to break a note, just split it into as many pieces as you want, just using breath control}), but lacks a bit of the core of the 1969.

bronzZoot
03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
primary: Yanagisawa A992
back-up: Selmer U.S.A. Silver-plated from the mid-80s.

hamilton
03-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Tenor- Selmer Ref 54
Backup - Olds tenor from late 70's - early 80's The horn sounds great but the key work gets uncomfortable after about 1/2 hr.

jsjazz
03-04-2006, 03:56 PM
A prayer!

BayviewSax
03-04-2006, 05:27 PM
A prayer!

Yeah, but they're so hard to tune...

BariMelt
07-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Main horns: Bari- 1978 Mark VI low A
Tenor- Cannonball big bell black nickel w/ silver keys

Back up horns: Bari- 1964 Martin Magna low A
Tenor- 1964 King Super 20 w/ silver neck

Really don't want to play the Super 20 on a gig in case something happens to it. (But I still bring out the Mark VI bari, doesn't make much sense I know). Also, the Super 20 tone and the CB tone are so close and the CB feels better over the course of a 4 hour gig. I'm thinking of also getting a YTS 82Z. I'm primarily a bari player, so why do I need 3 tenors???? GAS attack?

hgiles
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
MAIN: CJS black nickel tenor
BACKUP: CJS gold lacquer alto
CLOSET: 1949 Buescher Big B tenor

RS
07-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Bari--main horn: 208K Mark VI (low Bb). Backup: 88K Mark VI (low Bb). Alto--main horn: Yanagisawa 992. Backup: 81K Mark VI.

saxman06
07-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Main axe: 1940s Rampone & Cazzani alto
Back-up: Sister's Yamaha YAS-23 student model. . . sux to play this at gigs when you're so used to being spoiled by a pro horn . . .

bari_sax_diva
07-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Since my main axes are baritone and bass clarinet (and because I double on practically everything else), I haven't found practical backups for either. Instead, I've got a repair guy who's understanding if I'm in a rush, and a couple of friends who I swap favors with if someone needs a horn in a crisis. 8-)

Ruediger Kramer
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
To put in perspective your back up, would you please post your primary sax(es) also.

Primary: My B&SGuardala 501 BN (good price)

Second: my silverplated B&S-Medusa (very good price)

saxali_uk
08-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Some of you people have back ups worth probably 10 times more than my one and only sax :P. Oh well, when I'm rich I'll hav to treat myself to a nice one and let my battered Jupiter hit retirement.

csax
08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Strange, in the 60's & 70's I spent an awful lot of time in Germany playing US bases and civiliain clubs, a month at a time in each and long playing hours - without any backup for my relatively inexpensive saxes & flute (apart from the alto being backup for tenor, and vice-versa, if the worst happened, which it never really did to the degree the instrument was unplayable....)

In the very rare event I had any problem, a quick self-fix, or a friendly local music shop got it sorted. Seems like the availability of backup instruments is often inversely proportional to the amount of serious playing :? I never met any other touring bands where the instrumentalists carried backup horns either, usually because of 'lack of disposable income'......

I just made sure each instrument got a good checkup (and partial overhaul as needed), with a subsequent 'shakedown' period, between tours. Common sense, really.

altosaxguy1
08-05-2006, 05:00 PM
main: Cannonball BigBell Global Series
Backup: Soloist performance AS441

BayviewSax
08-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Seems like the availability of backup instruments is often inversely proportional to the amount of serious playing :?

That seems a bit unfair, frankly. How do you define "serious" playing. I know a number of pros working regularly, but I'd describe their music as anything but serious. Music is my avocation, and there are two reasons I have back-up horns. 1) I upgaded my alto and kept my old one, and 2) I had an accident with my tenor once and was tenorless while it was repaired. Never again! Pepper Adams once had a similar issue with his bari (actually he combined both reasons above, upgrading to a newer selmer for durability when travelling, then having an accident with it and reverting to his old one while it was repaired). Does Pepper qualify as "serious"? I don't think you meant that statement how it reads.

csax
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
OK Bayview, just for you I'll change "Seems like" to "Sometimes from my possibly jaundiced view it seems like...". I can well understand keeping a past horn for sentimental or 'emergency use' when you find another, better, one.

My comment was a little tongue-in-cheek, and aimed more at postings like "my main sax is a MkVI, and my backup is another MkVI...." But I guess that'll upset the MkVI owners and collectors, I never knew that MkVI's were so unreliable (well, apart from the lacquer falling off.....) ?

When you take away the proportion of the sound that's unique to each individual player and his mouthpiece/reed setup, the rest of the jigsaw can usually be catered for by any reasonable sax begged/borrowed or loaned for the relatively short period that a players horn is in for major repair. It's what friends are for......

Docax
08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Primary Tenor: Keilwerth JKsx90r NS
Primary Sop: Conn New Wonder 209xxx

Backup Tenor: King Zephyr 406xxx
Backup Sop: Yani curved sc901

I recently heard a good quality recording from a gig where I played the Zephyr (Jet Blue wouldn't let the big Keilwerth case in carry-on). Sounded great, so I'm tempted to reverse the tenors, but probably won't, just being used to the JK.

saxymanzach
08-06-2006, 06:57 AM
main axes:
Sop: Keilwerth ST-90
Alto: Yamaha 62II
Tenor: Kessler Custom

Back-ups:
Sop: None
Alto: Conn "Shooting Star"
Tenor: Yamaha 23

Bootman
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
No back-ups, just different horns for different gigs.

BlueSapphire
08-08-2006, 11:08 AM
i have an alto, no idea what type [its that old!]
if for any reason i cant play it i just go stuff it and get out my bari sax or steal my bros tenor! :D

gary
08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
ii just go stuff it and get out my bari sax or steal my bros tenor!
You "stuff it"?! :shock:

BlueSapphire
08-08-2006, 11:26 AM
You "stuff it"?! :shock:

'stuff it' - english translation - i've had problems with my sax cause its ancient and i cant afford a new so i just play a diff sax i previously mentioned, come back to my alto and its usually working by then, so yeah in short i 'stuff it'

rgone
08-08-2006, 01:38 PM
primary horns:
Tenor: MK VI ser.# 85xxx
Alto: MK VI ser. # 213xxx
Badk-ups:
Tenor: MK VI ser. # 193xxx
Alto: MK VI ser. # 140xxx
No back-ups for soprano and bari.

sjonesjrmd
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Primary horn for tenor: Yamaha 82 Z unlaq
Backup: Mark 6 (sorry!)

Alto primary horn: The Martin
Backup: Series III

no backups for soprano and bari

rgone
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
quotePrimary horn for tenor: Yamaha 82 Z unlaq

sjonesjrmd is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote by sjonesjrmd

rgone
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
quote by sjonesjrmd; Primary horn for tenor: Yamaha 82 Z unlaq

That's cool ,brotha man.As a matter of fact, I've been trying to get me a "THE MARTIN" for quite some time now.I used to own a MARTIN tenor quite some time ago. I have a friend that lives some 300 miles away that's been offering a MARTIN alto for sell for some time now.He doesn't want to ship it to me coz' he doesn't have a case for it. The horn needs a repad but the horn has no dents on it.Can't wait to get a chance to go pick it up. By the way, the guy wants $75.00 for it. Can you believe that?!

amoram
08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
main: selmer series II
back-up: yani 991

TenTenTooter
08-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Only have one each available to me of soprano, alto, tenor, and bass flavors, but as for bari...

My primary bari axe is a 59xxx low-A MK VI and my backup is a school owned yamaha 52.

JimMetcalf
08-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Tenor YTS-875s is main -back-up is YTS-62
Alto Selmer SerieIII Silver is main - Martin (The Martin Alto) is backup
Bari--YBS-52 No back-up
Soprano Selmer Super 80--no backup

2thmechanic
08-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Primary alto: 1927 Conn "Chu" in silver plate.
Backup alto: 1928 Conn "Chu" in gold plate.
Outdoor alto: 1970 Conn Director "Shooting Star"

Dave

gspiegel
09-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Main Alto: Keilwerth SX-90
Backup: Buescher Big B beater

Bari: Yani 991
Backup: not until I get my daughter through college

Mark_vi
10-09-2006, 07:04 AM
It matters what type of music i am playing, none are back-ups, If i play big band music I play on my mk vi's if i play solos or in a combo i use my silver sonic series Yanagisawas

I only have one sopranino and it is a yanagisawa sn -981

TenTenTooter
10-10-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm adding two c-melodies to my list.

Primary: Buescher C-Mel
Backup: Martin C-Mel

sax_therapy
10-31-2006, 12:22 AM

ditto

Martin Williams
10-31-2006, 12:31 AM

same here, I have a Yamaha 52 tenor, that kind of plays backup to my 10M and a Bundy II thats sort of backup to my Zephyr alto.

But when it comes down to it, differnt horns for diffrent gigs. I'll pick up the Bundy or the Yamaha long before the Conn or King for some gigs, like if i know the weather might get nasty on an outdoor gig, etc

fballatore
10-31-2006, 01:06 AM
My primary horn now is a YAS-62 Mark II, and my backup is a YAS-52. Like I even need a backup, I can barely play the primary. :D
Well, I can play a bit better now, and my horns have changed.

Primary: Yamaha YAS-875 Custom
Backup: 1926 Conn "Chu Berry" alto in silver
2nd Backup: 1941 Buescher Big "B" alto

Bob M
10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Bundy Special tenor....it's a Keilwerth stencil and one helluva horn:D

saxmong
11-08-2006, 04:59 AM
My Main is a Conn C melody
and I use my Alto if I have to play in Eb

Playing should be fun!

RandyJ
11-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Back up horns were my primary horns a while back;

tenor Selmer MK VI
alto Selmer MK VI
soprano Selmer MK VI

Hotspur
04-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Main Horn
Cannonball Big Bell tenor

Back up horn
currently in the process of finding a horn and getting money
maybe a Cannonball Excalibur or a COnn Chu Cherry

ehopper1
04-26-2007, 07:07 AM
My primary horns:
alto: King Super 20 laquered (1972)
tenor: Selmer Mk VI unlaquered (1970)

My very very good back up horns:
alto: Martin Indiana (1955)
tenor: Buescher 400 (1967)

Mike

Swampcabbage
04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Mains:
Winston Soprano
26M alto ('38)
Mark VI Tenor ('63)
The Martin Bari ('60)

Backups:
None for soprano and Bari
The Martin Alto ('53)
30M tenor ('38)

On the hunt for a good backup tenor for outdoor stuff and especially parades. Something really cheap but in tune and can take a few knocks.

ArnoG
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Main
MKVI 1960 tenor,link6*
Conn transition alto new york neck, myer richie cole
Yani S992 soprano, Link 5*
Armstrong 303

Back up--My friend has Keilwerths he said i can take any time i need---

ThunderWhale
04-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Main Horns:

Soprano : Buescher True Tone
Alto : Conn 6m 302xxx
Tenor : The Martin

Back-ups:

Sop : Selman chinese curved (actually pretty good player!)
Alto : 1919 Buescher True Tone (Sometimes I rotate this as my main axe)
Tenor : None yet!!

Noahbf
06-20-2007, 02:18 AM
back up alto
selmer USA AS300

Main alto
Yamaha 875-EX custom

saxxsymbol
06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
my backups are a yas-23 and a yts-23 hand picked from several of each. great horns.

LINUS65
06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Main: YAS82ZUL
Back up: YAS82ZUL 8-)

jacobeid
06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Main sop: YSS-475
Backup: LA Sax

Main alto: Conn 6m (262xxx)
Backup alto: Selmer Series III

Main tenor: Conn 10m (265xxx) once it gets back from an overhaul
Backup Tenor: Buescher NA

clinty
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
My one and only primary is an extremely worn Conn "Shooting Stars" tenor.

What I would give for some of you guy's backup horns. :(

I envy most of you, lol.

Martin Williams
07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I no longer have backups, cant afford them at this point in life. Theres also the fact that Im not afraid to take my horn most places, as long as I remain in control of the horn

Dr_sax
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Finally after 30 years I´ve got a backup for my tenor MK VI. It´s my old MK VI I sold 25 years ago.

BigHunk
07-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Tenor Main- Ref 54
B/U Buescher TH&C...I actually switch between the 2

Alto Main C/B Raven
B/U Buescher TH&C

Sax Magic
07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Main Horns:

Alto -- 1967 Selmer Mark VI
Tenor -- 1938 Martin Searchlight
C Melody -- 1919 King/White

Back-up Horns:
Alto -- 1955 Conn 6M
Tenor -- None yet
C Melody -- 1927 (?) Buescher

Other horns waiting to be rebuilt...

Sax Magic

markb
09-14-2007, 07:30 AM
hmm.. main axes:
Buescher 400 bari
Voss Tenor
coutier C-mel
Belcrest Soprano

Gemienhardt 3sh flute

backups.. whatever my son isn't keepin a close eye on.. LOL

Between us we have 10 sax's and half a dozen or more flutes that are
operational at any given time. :)

If I do get a backup for my bari, and I should somtime, it will probably
be another Buescher 400. This one has a great sound to it. :)

mark

knighttrain
09-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I own some nice "pro" horns, but I do not take them to gigs or practices - they're for home use only.
Gig horns:

S - King straight
A - Aristo 200
T - Bundy
B - Orsi

Back-ups:

A - Kohlert
T - Kohlert or Alexandre (Italy)
B - Buescher 400 (70s)

DMAN SAX
04-29-2009, 04:04 AM
Primary sax: JK SX90R Black Nickle alto

Back Up: OLD Yamaha 52 (soon to be engraved)

NissanVintageSax
04-29-2009, 04:18 AM
Had to sell my back ups due to the economy. May main axes are in my sig. My backups were:

Amati ATS32BL Tenor (back up for about 2 months, before selling it, Main Tenor from 2001 to 2008)
Buescher True Tone Alto (backup for about 6 months before trading for bari mods. Owned for a year or so)
Winston Pro I Soprano (backup for 2 days before selling it, main Soprano for 14 years)

BrianMitchellBrody
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Roland Keyboard/Synth

Yofis
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Roland Keyboard/Synth

Don't you Blasphem in here!
http://rubenerd.com/uploads/bluesbrothers425.jpeg

My back up tenor is a Martin Stencil relaq made during the Handcraft period (I technically bought it for my Son)
It's a honker.

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
My main tenor has been a Keilwerth SX non-90. I didn't have a back up until I purchased a Voss a month ago but the sound was sooo different than my SX, that the back up thing disappeared.

A week ago I bought a Steve Goodson Model tenor because of those incredibly low prices they were going for and thought it may be a good back up to my beloved SX.

The more I play this SG, I am seriously thinking of making the SG my main horn and using the Keilwerth as a back up. I now wonder why there are not more people using these horns. They seem better than some of the big 4. Who knew?

BrianMitchellBrody
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
My main tenor has been a Keilwerth SX non-90. I didn't have a back up until I purchased a Voss a month ago but the sound was sooo different than my SX, that the back up thing disappeared.

A week ago I bought a Steve Goodson Model tenor because of those incredibly low prices they were going for and thought it may be a good back up to my beloved SX.

The more I play this SG, I am seriously thinking of making the SG my main horn and using the Keilwerth as a back up. I now wonder why there are not more people using these horns. They seem better than some of the big 4. Who knew?

Really Wow. What model JK are you referring to ie: non-90?

B8-)

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Really Wow. What model JK are you referring to ie: non-90?

B8-)

It's a Keilwerth SX Model. It was a model that came out just before the SX-90. Mine is from 87' so essentially it's an SX-87. I don't think they made too may of them because I have not run into anyone that has even heard of them. Unless I show someone the horn or a photo of it, they think I am nuts. If it were not for Sarge at World Wide Sax, I would have no clue about the SX. He seems to be the only one that could give me any history on them.

BrianMitchellBrody
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
It's a Keilwerth SX Model. It was a model that came out just before the SX-90. Mine is from 87' so essentially it's an SX-87. I don't think they made too may of them because I have not run into anyone that has even heard of them. Unless I show someone the horn or a photo of it, they think I am nuts. If it were not for Sarge at World Wide Sax, I would have no clue about the SX. He seems to be the only one that could give me any history on them.

What makes you like your new taiwanese horn better? Ergos, looks, tone?

I have mixed feelings about SG but I have always heard good things from players about his horns.

B8-)

Dr G
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Does your horn have rolled tone holes?

My main tenor was a Reference 36. I bought a Borgani Jubilee as my backup. I sold the Ref.

Is the Jubilee still my backup?

I do have multiple guitars and didgeridos.

:borg:

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM

What makes you like your new taiwanese horn better? Ergos, looks, tone?

I have mixed feelings about SG but I have always heard good things from players about his horns.

B8-)

The egos have always been a little too spread on the SX. Especially the left hand pinky. The SG is just perfect in that every single key falls into place naturally.

The SX is a very dark horn and although you can get as much projection out of it as you want, there is still an underlying darkness that is great in some situations but not in every situation. The SG seems to be able to go from very bright to very dark with incredible ease. It's all up to me. My HR Links seem brighter and have a little more edge on the SG than on the SX. I am a darkish player to start with and having that extra edge makes a difference.

Looks wise, I can't stand the SG. Way too flashy and the name STEVE or STEVE GOODMAN or SG appear in too many places for my taste. It is a frosted, gold lacquered finish with elaborate engravings and I prefer a more gentle look to my horns.

I can ignore the looks because of the great intonation and ease of producing what I want sound wise. It's a good horn and I suppose the name on it is what gives it a back seat to other horns I have tried that don't have the flexibility or intonation but do have a name like Selmer, Yani, Yamaha, Keilwerth on the bell.

We'll see what happens in the durability department. Time will tell.

NissanVintageSax
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM

B8-)

The egos have always been a little too spread on the SX.

Yeah, gotta watch those egos ;) .

BrianMitchellBrody
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Looks wise, I can't stand the SG. Way too flashy and the name STEVE or STEVE GOODMAN or SG appear in too many places for my taste.

thats exactly why i could not bring myself to purchase one of his horns. i know the reason for it but was it really necessary?

thanks for the information enjoy your new toy. B8-)

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM

Does your horn have rolled tone holes?

My main tenor was a Reference 36. I bought a Borgani Jubilee as my backup. I sold the Ref.

Is the Jubilee still my backup?

I do have multiple guitars and didgeridos.

:borg:

No rolled tone holes on this SX.

The problem with it is that I can't come up with a "price" on it since I have never seen one for sale and am not positive about how many are out there. I don't want to sell it just yet so I don't want to put it up for sale to see what I can get but it's always interesting to know what your horn is worth monetarily. It's keeper just because of the history I have with it and how it plays.

Dr G
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Even the J-K SX-90 horns are not getting a fair value in resale these days. If you have a good playing horn, I'd keep it. You certainly won't replace it later for the price it draws today.

I guess that's a sleeper horn by definition, eh?

Now, if you wanna trade it, let's talk. ;)

saxphil
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
The problem with it is that I can't come up with a "price" on it

How about I offer you what you paid for it? ;):)

bari_sax_diva
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh, hey.. it's been a while since this thread was active (and I've been tied up the last week or so...)

Primary bari: Yamaha 62
Backup/combo bari: 124XXX Mark VI

Primary alto: Yamaha 82ZS
Backup alto: Kenosha-made Vito Special

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
The problem with it is that I can't come up with a "price" on it

How about I offer you what you paid for it? ;):)

That's a good one. :lol: I guess you remember how I ended up with this horn.

The fact that I didn't pay for it also makes it difficult to put a price on it.

Dr G
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM

You drive a hard bargain. How 'bout TRIPLE what you paid for it?

Bebopalot
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I'll cut you some slack......cause that's the kind of guy I am. How about only what I paid for it and a $5000 finders fee?

Dr G
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
We may need to iterate for a bit before we converge but at least we've initiated a dialogue.

saxphil
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM

You drive a hard bargain. How 'bout TRIPLE what you paid for it?

lol George :D

Now that's a generous offer!

Michael
08-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Primary sax: yamaha advantage alto, better than 875ex in my opinion ;) and gotta love the yamaha perfect intonation

Backup: my god, the sonatina chinese sax. BEST SAX EVER. intonation is a bit off but it's even so if your doing a duet make sure the other sax makes himself slightly sharp because you can't change it (thats why its the backup) but other than that MAN was my old teacher jealous when he was using his old conn and 5 digit mark VI. he looks down and says, this is worth $8,000? really? not to mention it is sturdier than bundy. literally weighs 1.5x my yamaha. VERY heavy in comparison

primary: c-melody buescher 1923
backup: what will replace that ^^??????

but honestly, if you have a pro horn for your main and a pro for a backup, you're either famous or a complete retard. grab a student yamaha, yani (if your rich), or something else with good tuning. in my case i'm broke >..< so yah..

JimMetcalf
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
main tenor-YTS-875S backup YTS-62
main Alto Selmer Serie III silver-Backup-The Martin Alto
main bari-Yanagawa B991S Backup YBS-52
main clarinet Selmer CT-backup Leblanc Esprit
Bass Clarinet-Bundy-no backup (yet)
Sop Selmer Super-80 no backup

jmoen3
08-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Hah.... back up... thats funny. I can't even afford main axes!

Mal 2
08-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Main horns:
Soprano - cheap Chinese straight soprano
Alto - Jupiter JAS-767
C-melody (my primary horn at this point) - 1919 Buescher True Tone
Tenor - Yamaha YAS-21
Bari - Dolnet Bel Air (low A)

Backups:
Soprano - none
Alto - Buescher Aristocrat (70's, same as a Bundy, NOT Bundy II)
C-melody - 1923 Buescher True Tone :)
Tenor - none (I'd use a C-mel if necessary)
Bari - none

Flute, clarinet, alto clarinet, bass clarinet: no backup. I do have two piccolos though (one conical and one cylindrical).

luispa
08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Main horns:
Soprano: Lyon & Healy (Buescher True Tone stencil) curved soprano
Alto: Buescher True Tone Goldplated 160.XXX
Tenor: Buescher True Tone silverplated 205.XXX

Backup horns:
Soprano: No backup
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat 140 / Martin Handcraft Imperial / Conn 6M RTH / Bundy I
Tenor: Buescher True Tone Goldplated 164.XXX / Bundy I

cpete
08-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Primary, Selman inferior
backup Category 5

Yamahaaltoplayer
08-17-2009, 07:00 AM
I went a little extreme when I found the right sax for me... Main axe is a Millennium Ser. III, backup is a Millennium Ser. III.

http://www.jasonharron.com/Altos01.JPG

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to change anything about my playing style or hand position if I'm playing my back-up.

Duuuude :D that just isn't right! My main is a YAS-23 and my backup is a YAS-23, but they're one horn!

Laurel Moore
08-17-2009, 11:34 AM
My back-up sax is my magical one I play at night :D

That's to say I sleep-sax, I wasn't being crude !!

HornForHire
11-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Main sax: Selmer Mark VI tenor

Backup: Selmer SA80 II tenor

The SA80 II was my main sax for twenty years, until I bought the mark VI two years ago. I hate selling my old gear, so I kept it as a backup (haven't played it for two years though...)

Tharruff
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Main Clarinet - Selmer Series 9
Backup Clarinet - My grandfather's old 1927 Selmer (which I actually haven't played in so long that I am not sure it is still playable right now ???)

Main Soprano Sax - Buffet / E & S
Backup Soprano Sax - NONE

Main Alto Sax - Selmer Mar VI
Backup Alto Sax - Selmer 'SSS'

Main Tenor Sax - Selmer Balanced Action
Backup Tenor Sax - NONE

tomsch
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I currently only have a back-up tenor. Main horn is a H.Couf SuperbaI. Back-up is my Yamaha YTS-62 (built in the 80s). These days I have been gigging more with the Yamaha though. Thinking real hard of trying one of Phil Barone's Vintage tenors which would displace the YTS-62 potentally.

BrianMitchellBrody
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Primary s/a/t T.K. Melody

Back-up(s):

Alto. Antigua Winds
Tenor. Pierret Competition
Soprano. Curved T.K. Melody

My current goal (dream) is to have both a King Super 20 or Zephyr alto and tenor in my stable.

B8-)

selmer
11-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't have a backup horn. If mine is out of action i can always borrow one from my tech/shop. I always carry a basic repair kit with me as well as lots of rubber bands (invaluable). every serious player should be able to change a pad and spring if needed!

brasscane
11-13-2009, 01:55 AM
MKVI (tenor).

jazzcat58
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM
mkvi (tenor).

+1 on the mkvi!...good back up!! Too..

jd
11-13-2009, 02:29 AM
ive been using my backup tenor and alto. both near mint 6s 1964. both of them. my main axe is a 63 mark 6 tenor thats beat looking and a relaq 1960 mark 6 that both need pads. im spoiled! i was saving the near mint ones but figured what the heck . play em!!

Mal 2
11-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Main horns:
Soprano - cheap Chinese straight soprano
Alto - Jupiter JAS-767
C-melody (my primary horn at this point) - 1919 Buescher True Tone
Tenor - Yamaha YAS-21
Bari - Dolnet Bel Air (low A)

Backups:
Soprano - none
Alto - Buescher Aristocrat (70's, same as a Bundy, NOT Bundy II)
C-melody - 1923 Buescher True Tone :)
Tenor - none (I'd use a C-mel if necessary)
Bari - none

Flute, clarinet, alto clarinet, bass clarinet: no backup. I do have two piccolos though (one conical and one cylindrical).

My primary horns have not changed, but my backups have.

Alto - Orpheo. Not Custom or Signature or anything, just Orpheo. Made in China. It plays very similarly to the Jupiter, which the Buescher does not.
C-melody - 2009 Aquilasax Presence C-mel. The 1919 Buescher just sounds better, and the 1923 has been sold.

Matt Otto
11-13-2009, 07:03 AM
I mainly play on a Yamaha custom Z tenor,
My 2 backup tenors are both Mark VI's.

Barijim
11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread but who takes their backups with them on out of town gigs ?

Mal 2
11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread but who takes their backups with them on out of town gigs ?

How far out of town? For a gig in Vegas I wouldn't change my equipment, except maybe to leave behind anything bulky I didn't really need.

bari_sax_diva
11-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Maybe those of us whose primary axe is baritone. My main horn isn't allowed out of my sight, so flying with it is out of the question.

Speaking of which:

Primary baritone: Yamaha 62
Backup baritone: Low Bb Mark VI

rashorn
11-23-2009, 02:35 AM
As a doubler, I have the entire stable, but a drop-off in the backups:

Soprano- Yamaha YSS-62 (Backup – Horace [Buescher stencil ])
Alto- Selmer Mark VI (Backup- Martin Indiana)
Tenor – Selmer Mark VI (Backup- Buescher Aristocrat)
Bari- Yamaha YBS-62 low A (Backup- Buescher True Tone low Bb)
Bass- IWW (Backup- Schneider C tuba)
Clarinet- Buffet R-13 (Backup- Selmer Series 9)

Sax Magic
11-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Two years later from my previous post in this thread...

Main Horns:
Soprano -- Bruno Perfection (Conn Curved)
Alto -- 1967 Selmer Mark VI
Tenor -- 1951 Buescher Aristocrat 156
C Melody -- 1919 King/White

Back-up Horns:
Alto -- 1957 Conn 6M, 1937 Martin Searchlight
Tenor -- 1937 Martin Searchlight

Sax Magic

stefank
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Main tenor: Yani T880
Backup tenor: Yani T500

One alto: Martin Indiana

stefank
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
PS

Reading through the posts above it would seem that Yanagisawa owners don't seem to think they need backups!

JimMetcalf
12-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Tenor-main YTS875s-Backup YTS-62
Alto Selmer Serie III silver-Back up The MartinAlto
Bari-main Yanigawsa991s-YBS-52
Sop-Selmer Super80-no backup
Clarinet Selmer CT-backup LeBlanc Esprit
Bass Clar-Bundy no backup

Baltimore B
12-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Tenors:

Primary: '28 Chu Berry with different neck.

Secondaries: '22 Gold plate Truetone and a 5 digit Selmer, um, Bundy.

I don't look at these as "backup" horns however, sometimes I just want a different flavor. Nothing in the world beats the Chu but I get a different inspiration with a different axe, new ideas flow that I don't hear on my main axe cause I play it every day. The Truetone is my "rut Killer" cause it sounds so old and trashy and the Bundy I use on recordings when I don't wish to sound like myself. It's more modern and "Selmery" sounding and I can blend well with it. But the Chu does it all really. Oh well, I love them all!:):):):)

BB

ChiefThndrTongue
12-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Main Alto: Martin CommII
Back-up: Martin Indiana

I used my old Bundy II for my back-up/outdoor alto til I got the Indiana playable. Funny thing is the Indiana was originally a parts horn to get the Committee II going. Now the Indiana is a close 2nd, only not so pretty.

No back-ups for STB. I'm lucky my wife lets me have 1 each!

MoonMind
12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I have to play outside for a partying audience a lot, that's why my backup horns get played pretty often and have to take quite a bit of rough treatment; that's the main reason why I'm down on backups to one sole alto at the moment... (my old tenor wasn't worth mending after the last "accident" - I had bought it used in quite bad condition, anyhow). The YAS-25 seems unkillable, though.

Main alto: SA80II
Backup/carnival alto: YAS-25

M.

MoonMind
12-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Me again:

Main tenor: Cannonball BBSS Mad Meg
Backup/travel tenor: Yanagisawa T-800

M.

Mal 2
12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Me again:

Main tenor: Cannonball BBSS Mad Meg

M.

So did you repair the Yani, or just get it?

BrianMitchellBrody
12-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I have finally found a set-up I can actually live with as both a back-up and main if needed.

Alto......Maxtone (tw) SX-55A/DB

Tenor...Maxtone (tw) SX-58T/DB

Very different playing than my main horns which are from Taiwan as well but in a great way.

New Years resolution is to be happy with the horns and mouthpieces I have for one year and make no purchases of either.

B8-)

MoonMind
12-26-2009, 11:49 AM

So did you repair the Yani, or just get it?

I just got it - it's in acceptable playing condition, but I'll have it adjusted all the same (also because the right hand action isn't as quick as I'd like it to be). At the moment, I'm still trying to find out if it's a T-800 for good or a T-500, honestly. It's not as easy as I first thought... But it's a good sax and more than worth being used as a backup (in fact, I think I'll use it quite a bit).

LAST EDIT (I think): It was hard work to find this out, but it seems to be one of the last T-500 with many features used on the then already discontinued T-800 saxes.

So my backup horn is a T-500 (until further notice 8-)).

M.

Bill Mecca
12-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Martin Indiana tenor sitting in a shop in North Carolina for the past 5 years.

Mal 2
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Alto - Orpheo. Not Custom or Signature or anything, just Orpheo. Made in China. It plays very similarly to the Jupiter, which the Buescher does not.
C-melody - 2009 Aquilasax Presence C-mel. The 1919 Buescher just sounds better, and the 1923 has been sold.

Changed again. (Primaries still have not.)

Alto - 1995 Yama-Vito. I still have the Orpheo, and would probably still take it outdoors, but does not sound as interesting as the Vito.
C-Melody - currently none. The Aquilasax is sold, the Holton not yet restored.

MoonMind
01-09-2010, 08:14 AM
The T-500 I got with the intention of using it as a backup horn turns out to play so well with a JodyJazz HR* 8* I don't consider it a backup anymore - for some types of music, it's better suited than my (main) Cannonball...

M.

Flâneur
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM
My backup horn is a kazoo.

bkobog
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
main alto is Yanagisawa A992 with backup in the ever reliable Yamaha YAS-62.

bari_sax_diva
11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh, hey... this is an OLD thread. Now I actually have back-ups:

Main alto: 213XXX Mark VI
Backup: 60's Kenosha Vito

Main tenor: Yamaha 82Z
In the shop: Selmer SBA (one of these days it might actually be finished...)

Main bari: Yamaha 62
Backup: 124XXX Low-Bb Mark VI

Main Clarinet: Buffet R13
Backup: Obnoxious green Vito Dazzler :-)

liebeyena
01-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Selmer Mark VII tenor
Selmer Mark VII alto

the same with sw3119.

hgrail
05-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Time to revive another old thread..

Main clari: Buffet S1 (wonderful)
Backup 1934 Auguste Buffet (that really needs an overhaul)

Main sop: LA Sax (don't laugh - it plays in tune!)
Backup: No backup - not sure why I even own one of these little monsters..

Main alto: Jupiter (laugh all you want - my Selmer playing friends always want to borrow it)
Backup: 1928ish Buescher True Tone in silver/gold plate

Main C-mel: Martin
Backup: I have a silver Buescher with new pads - I'm going to re-assemble someday - really..

Main tenor: Selmer Serie III matte finish
Backup: Selmer Serie III polished finish - sans engraving (Love the III's - why mess with a good thing)

Main bari: Yani 900 (love this horn)
Backup: Martin Magna low A bari (which is great in it's own way - but can't beat the Yani)

Main bass: 1924 Buescher True Tone
Backup: Late model Conn - in my dreams..

Jazzaferri
05-12-2012, 05:16 AM
main Alto SML Gold medal 1 stencil. Backup YAS 23 with Warburton neck

My main alto is soon to be a 2007 JK Shadow.

Main Sop. JK SX90 II backup. King Marigaux SML

dexdex
05-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Currently choosing a new tenor, my MkVII will retire as back-up and "street" horn.

mi000ke
05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
now that both tenors are back from the shop and well adjusted:

Main tenor: 82z
Backup: late Mark VI

Main sop: cannonball vintage reborn
backup: YSS475

germanwatches
11-09-2013, 02:27 PM
No back up............ Sold them to help fund a vacation to the Greek Islands