PDA

View Full Version : Soprano: SX90R V 991 yani? (curved?)

rhyssaxfan
02-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey,

i wanna get a soprano sax. I am and always have been a alto saxophonist, as like most alto players, i want a soprano. But see as my parents just got me an OH so sweet sx90R i dont really see that its gonna happen anytime soon. So i have to save upby my self for it. thts gonna be really easy with a part time job :lol: :? so should i just go for a 901 or 991 and get it sooner or work that litle bit more a go for a kielwerth to match my alto????

Also is rumors true about curved sopranos being hard to tune?because i go through faises wheni reckon a Curved soprano would be sweet, and faises when i think straight would be awesome, and then faises when i think just as long as i get one ill be happy :D

Any suggestions

Randall
02-16-2005, 07:52 AM
I have owned both the SX90II (there is no SX90R soprano) and the Yani curved and both are superb horns.
My personal preference for tone quality is the SX90II but the Yani is no doubt easier to play the upper register on and the horn is fabulously in tune. No issues with the horn itself...of course the player can play anything out of tune.

Which would I choose?...depends on what kind of tone you like....try both and be sure that which ever you choose they are both excellent choices.
I stuck with the SX and now switch between it and a Cannonball curved Big Bell with no laq.

RS
02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Maybe look into the SC-992 (bronze) too. The bronze is a little mellower and warmer sounding than the brass, but still gets plenty of power.

rhyssaxfan
02-17-2005, 12:07 PM
hey thanks,

Yeah, i kinda fraised that wrong, i know that there arent any SX90R sopranos (it would be awesome if there where though :wink: )
Yeah, when i got the Sx90R alto i prefered it over the 991, but then he brought in the 992 and dissicions became harder. But in the end i went for the one i found most comfortable with. The JK.

But I heard someone say that Yani's Sopranos are a lot better then there altos. But i guess i'll have to diside for my self. Just a personal opinion.

P.s. I would be playing a mixture of classical and Jazz on it.