Sax on the Web Forum banner

Wiedoft models 1929 compared to 1930

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 ·
Hello- A rare appearance by JB. I haven't had much to say, but I thought I would get around to mentioning the changes Holton made to the Rudy models in very late 1929-early 1930.
1. For reason unknown, they elongated the neck and sliding cork mechanism so the horn could play almost a step and a half flat (not in tune with itself)
2. The low C breather key has a sturdier link with a rod and a paddle instead of two flat paddles.
3. Most important, Holton raised the palm key touches to a very nice level.
4. The spring clips on the rods were changed from the flimsy hook-shaped catches to a sturdy cylinder-shape, as was used by Buescher.
5. The button G#touch was replaced by long bar, which is easier to reach.
6. The front spatula-style front F touch was replaced by a pearl button, which is a bit less easy if one is a clarinet player, as the spatula (often seen on Selmers) can be operated by the side of the index finger, similar to the mid-A key on the clarinet.
7. The beautifully-padded Holten cases were given a stop when opened so they would open to about 100 degrees instead of the annoying, rip-prone previous style, which opened fully flat.
8. Alas, poor Rudy was no longer famous and Holton made the last horns without his name on them, probably because Holton must have paid him to use his name on the Holton design. By December of 1929, businesses saw that the Depression would be tough and sales down, so why pay Rudy to use his name.
9. If anyone finds this interesting, you are as trivial as JB.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not "trivial" at all, Mr Bug. thanks for posting. I assume you're talking about the Rudy tenor here. Comments;

1. Are you sure you have the original neck? Perhaps Holton ran out of the specified necks and used others in stock rather than the expense of producing new ones. Makes sense when you factor in the Great Depression. Too bad it doesn't play a step flat in tune with itself! That would be useful for playing in rock bands.

3. My C-mel from the late 1920s already had the higher palm key touches (late 1926 or 27).

6. Going backwards

7. same comment as number three. the c-mel had that case earlier.

#3 ·
My alto had these features and I re-built and sold a tenor with these features. Both were in the low 40000 serial # range. I have never seen a 100 degree opening case on a Holton from the 20s. Yours is either an odd one or a repacement from a few years later. The long necks were on both horns, so it must have been a production change. If you could stretch the space between the toneholes, you could make the horns play in tune with themselves, so you could have a C# alto! The higher palm keys on both horns are much higher than the 20s horns and are comparable to the modern horns. I am not as familiar with Conn, but their Transition models had higher palm keys. (who was first?) I hope you received my $100,000.00. I just bought Soybean futures.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thanks- If I think of any more useless trivia, I will make more posts. If I make enough , I could build a fence. If I learn to fence, my posts will be sharper.
This is an example of the silly fun some of us had on "CMelody Forum" a few years back, until the hackers wrecked it. This forum has a more formal air and I have to pretend to be intellectual.

#7 ·
Hello- A rare appearance by JB. I haven't had much to say, but ...
what you said has vastly deepend the understanding of the Holton history. Despite the new honor I am sure
that you won't build a fence.

MTR January 20, 1928

#9 ·
I am proud to now be an "Extinguished member". Thank you. Thank you again to the staff for giving Holton a special place amoung the big names. Holton deserves it, as vintage players are now showing an interest in Holton saxophones due largely to this website. I have also found them to have enough punch and projection to play more modern jazz. The list of Holton players is impressive, with several being fine jazz players (Trumbauer and Shieklds) and the rest being concert players or dance orch. performers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.