PDA

View Full Version : Quiet: Practice in my apartment

Oneday
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
I thought I'd share this and find out what other people are doing.

The problem is noise. I live in an apartment and want to keep the piece with the neighbors. But, I also want to practice and have no other convenient place to do it.

Someone told me that if I put a sock in the bell of my sax that it would muffle the sound. It does muffle the sound somewhat, but I found it hard to play low C and B with the sock in. I also can not hear how I really sound since the tone is muffled.

A few days ago, I bought one of those big plastic bins/totes from Wal Mart. I then bought a foam egg crate matress liner. I cut it to size (sissors work well) then glued it into the crate.

I now play into this and it is great. Much better than the sock, and more sound is absorbed. I need to work out the ergonomics, but so far things are good.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have a better solution?[/b]

lamale
10-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I have exaclty the same problem
I`d like to build a cabine. does anybody know how to do it?

gary
10-20-2004, 10:30 PM
I`d like to build a cabine. does anybody know how to do it?Scroll down a couple of lines.

lamale
10-21-2004, 07:15 AM
I`d like to build a cabine. does anybody know how to do it?Scroll down a couple of lines.

what you mean scroll down? any suggestions??

sax_appeal
10-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Of the list of topics for the practicing forum (at the top of the page you have: Sax on the Web Forum Index -> Learning, Playing, etc. click on the link that says Practicing and just browse that forum for a little while. There are quite a few other topics on this subject)

saxchado
10-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Gary was probably referring to the "build your own practice room" topic, among others.

Oneday
10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
I saw some of the other posts. I don't have the space to build or buy an enclosure. The sound proof boths do look nice though!

I just want to put together something cheap that will lower the tone down to the volume of say the T.V.
Just so I'm not a nuisance to other people living in the building.
So far the tote with sound dampening foam is OK. If I still want to but a towel or sock in the bell that is possible.

Has anybody else experiemented with small low cost solutions that may be better than what I have?

Thanks for your help and feedback.

sax_appeal
10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Just to clarify, do you actually know that the sound is a nuisance to neighbours? It might not be a problem at all. Before you go building something to dampen your sound, which will affects its quality when you practice, I suggest you talk to your neighbours and if they say it is a problem, then you should consider building something. Your neighbours might want to know, roughly, what time you plan on practicing, so it might help to try to come up with a schedule which is good for you, but also good for them.

saxchado
10-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Good Advice, S.A.

When I lived in Germany, the walls of the apartment building were quite thin, but I asked the neighbors, and worked out a schedule, and because they had agreed to it, there were never any complaints. I just had to shuffle times so that I wasn't trying to practice on top of (or underneath, rather) the the trumpet player who lived upstairs. :lol:

beginner's_luck
10-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I have the same issue and I sometimes practice in my car.

Oneday
10-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I have not talked to them. The volume of the Sax is louder than I would play my radio though. My wife worries more than I do, so I need to apease her as well. I do think that some neigbors may say they are not bothered when really they are.

If I know that my playing is no louder than I the volume of the stereo or TV the issue goes away so that is my target for reducing the sound.

I will buy a house soon so the issue will go away. This is another reason why I don't want to build or buy anything elaborate.

So, far I have spent $25. on the tote and matress top foam. It has reduced the volume. You do need to put the sax into the box as mush as possible though. And you could still use a sock or towel to take the volume down further.

I was hoping someone else who has done this had some ideas on how to improve the design. Its a little hard to read music with your read stuffed in a box.
:lol:

soulsax
11-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Learn a few tunes that the unseen ears would like. Try putting urself in check by committing your self to playing a few tunes you worked up, and play them for ur practice time. It will make you a better player too, if you think of it that way. That is ,that you are playing a few pretty songs. NOT a self concience soul who is worried abt what his wife and neighbors think. Pick a few songs like "Over the Rainbow", and "Summertime", get um sounding right, show some respect when to play, and not play. Man, :) before long ur neighbors will be banging on the wall wanting you to play some more songs 8-) And ur wife will be begging you to hop in bed to do more playing :wink: If that dont work get a E.W.E. and a set of earphones. Then you can wail day and night but want be heard by anyone but you. :(

soulsax
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
and E.W.I. :oops: >> :oops: that is

rini
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I too was worried about my neighbours until this thing happened:
I am doing something outside the house (not playing). A young lady, one of my neighbours, with two little children walks by to a nearby park. When she sees me she looks at the name on my front door and asks:"Are you the guy who's playing the saxophone?". "Yes I am", said I cautiously. The lady, dreamingly:"Oh I love the sound of the saxophone. It's so sexy".

Later when I went into the house I remembered that this week I had been practicing some Coltrane changes. I thought I had played like an animal.
"Sexy...?" :lol:

rini

Wailin'
01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Finally gat my house....I know can really practice now...folks upstairs in my apartment didn't allow me to practice after 6 PM...ah the freedom :))

Rex
01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I am, on some occasions, a closet sax player. 8-)