PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Neck for Mk VI Tenor

Saxydude
06-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi. I have some questions regarding aftermarket necks for my Mk VI tenor (s/n: 101xxx). The horn plays nicely as is, but the upper register is a bit stuffy. I understand that in most cases a different neck can help this situation. I know there are tons of different necks out there (Masterpiece, Gloger, etc..) but I'm looking for feedback on these different necks, so any thoughts you can give me about different necks will be greatly appreciated. I play both a lot of jazz and classical music (I don't know if that's an important bit of info or not). What effect does finish have on a neck? Any sites you can point me to would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks.

Hurling Frootmig
06-19-2004, 09:33 PM
I went through something similar with my 170k VI tenor. A number of people played the horn and loved it. I felt something was missing so I researched a bunch of neck options. My tech hooked me up with a 103k neck and I am much more pleased with how the horn responds.

Here's the kicker - I can't tell the difference between the necks when I record with them. It's very much a perception of the player rather than what is coming out of the horn.

I had some nice luck with a Ref 36 neck on my horn as well and probably would have went that route if I hadn't come across the 103k neck. Randy Jones at tenor madness would be a good person to talk to about necks. www.tenormadness.com.

I didn't have the opportunity to try a gloger or a masterpiece. After thinking about it a bit I wanted to keep with a Selmer neck.

sessionsax
06-21-2004, 02:56 PM
You could try a series III neck as well, its a very similar design to the original MKVI neck. Has more of a 70s MKVI vibe to it.

Saxophoon
06-22-2004, 12:41 AM
There are many different neck options out there. We can give you our advice but the only thing that will really help you find what you want is experimentation. The best neck you can get that will most likely clear up any intonation or sound/responce problems would probably be a Gloger. Masterpiece neck are out there for Mark VI and I've heard some good and bad things about them. There are also the Phil Barone necks which are suposed to be good. There are also Ponzol necks that are suposed to be good. There are also many people who swear by putting a Ref 54 or Ref 36 neck on their VI. People also put Selmer silver necks on (come in thinwall and thick). Etc.....

As you can see there are plenty of choices and all of them are used by people who say they work but of course the deciding factor for you will be what works for YOU! Experiment!!!!

P.S. If you want a serious neck and are willing to "spend" and get a major piece of equipment I would go the way of the Gloger. Talk to Curt at MusicMedic, he's great!

Helen
06-22-2004, 01:25 AM
I opted for a Unison neck for my Mark VI. I must admit, I didn't try others. I've been using it for almost 4 years now, and I am very pleased with it. It has cleared up the stuffy notes in the top end that the orginal neck seemed to accentuate. I was in N.O. buying my bass sax, so I tried one, liked it, and bought it while I was in Steve Goodson's shop. I don't know how easy they are to find elsewhere. I would never have bought it if I hadn't been able to try it out first.

sattva
07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I have had a Unison Masterpiece gold plated neck for my 169*** Mk6 tenor for a few years now. It has made a very significant improvement on all fronts - intonation, projection, warmth and brightness. I put my old neck in the drawer and have never had it back on the horn since I got the Masterpiece. I recommend it highly; Steve Goodson has a winner here!

I would love to get a solid sterling silver one, but have had no luck - they are like gold dust (??silver dust?? :? )

madav
07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
I also have a Masterpiece neck on my 69K VI. It has improved the harmonics, and fattened up the sound noticeably. It has a higher arch and more resistance than the original neck, but I prefer this having grown up on the SA80, andthe SA80II. The major problem is that it looks awful with the cheap laser engraving and non-matching lacquer - go for the silver plate if you can!

Santee>
09-16-2004, 03:57 AM
I played an un-lacquered Masterpiece neck when I had my 86,xxx VI tenor and tried all the necks that were available at the time that I knew of, and nothing came close to the Masterpiece. Seriously, don't go w/a Series III neck, that's the same VI design. I really dislike all of Selmer's necks. I once owned a thin wall ss neck, but the thing was lacquered, so had to get the lacquer taken off of it, it was flaking off actually. Very tinny sounding compared to what the Masterpiece sounds like. I don't know how much they're goin' for, but if it's less than $500.00 for one, it's easily worth the investment.

God Bless,

Aaron ><>

Lenny
09-17-2004, 05:29 AM
All the above advice is good. The key word is experiment. neck's oddly enough are almost as individual as mouthpieces. One person sounds better with a certain neck and somebody else sounds worse.
All those recommended above are good. My experience was a really good MkVI neck was the best, and seemed to be alot of the difference between sos-so VI's & great ones. I ended up with 120xxx something neck that I put on on 59xxx VI tenor. You'd think it would be the other way around. The best sound hands down was an SBA neck that I tried for yucks but I can't find one anywhere.
I agree that the Series III & the Selmer silver necks weren't as good as some of the others out there.

OnyxSax
11-29-2004, 03:50 AM
At our Maryland Get-Togethers, me and John O. would compare our Mark VIs. Mine is a 226,000 horn that was fully overhauled in 2001, his was 160,000 horn that at first was in dire need of work.

At our first Get-Together, my 226 blew his 160 out of the water. There was no contest. That made John O. realize that his horn needed some serious work.

At our second Get Together, his newly repaired horn held its own against the 226, but the 226 still had the edge on the horn...partially because my 226 has a sterling silver Selmer neck that had been modified by my tech

At the third Get-Together, John O. showed up with a Gloger neck for his Mark VI. Wow! What a difference! His 160 blew my 226 away. The Gloger opens up the Mark VI, making it feel like your blowing a vintage American horn like a 10M. However, it still retains that typical Mark VI sound and intonation.

mrd
04-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Oleg Tenor Neck for the VI?

Also, I have a Series II and wondered if the Oleg Neck for the VI will fit the Series II??

Sure would like your comments...

Thank you