PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Beuscher Aristocrat Alto Sax 310xxx should i buy

sumitsagaonkar
11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I am new comer to this forum. I am going to start playing an alto saxophone. I have a seller who is selling his vintage saxophone (Buescher Aristocrat Alto bearing the serial number 310xxx). The original lacquer is only 65%. All the original snap in system is intact, except few small dents at the bottom and side of the bell, and also slight welding done on one of the key guards. The seller is selling with all parts intact along with a vito hard plastic mouthpiece and a hard case for the sax total for $600. Is it really really worth to buy this saxophone at the price mentioned if not then what price should i quote for the same.

Thank you and please suggest me on this.

SS.:?

CONN-hunter
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi.

worn lacquer is not an issue, in fact if the sax hasn´t been re-lacquered but lost its lacquer on a natural process through the decades its just good.

What you should pay more attention were the pads and allround playability of the horn are good.
The serial range is very good and the ergonomics are also ok. Not the same as a modern sax but good.

If you are starting with sax playing, have you ever considered to buy a Taiwan modern sax? they have hugely improved and have spot on intonation, better even than a Vintage horn.

So, if you´re considering to start playing the sax these times are great because Taiwanese factories offer great equipment for a price that you could never imagined years ago.
So, I´d buy a Taiwanese although I have 3 exquisit vintage alto saxes here at home.
To start the Taiwanese are beasts for low budget and will give you a lot of joy.

hands down... a taiwanese sax than an old Buescher.

later, you will be always able to buy a Vintage , ;)

jicaino
11-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd go with a real saxophone anytime if given the chance, and not a chinese, taiwanese or even japanese intrument "based upon the original invention of adolphe sax"

ChiTownJazz80
11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
For $600 I'd certainly say go for it. Why buy a Taiwanese sax when for a hundred and fifty bucks more you can get a solid vintage horn that will hold or increase in value. Check one more important thing: make sure the pads are in good shape. If there a few that need to be replaced, then it's still well worth it, but a complete pad replacement would cost quite a bit. Vintage Bueschers are good, solid horns. Take it while you can get it.

SuperMadHatter
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Chinese horns have improved, but as I have seen with my children's bandmates they sure do not hold up well- and I'm talking about kids who use there brand new, shiny Tiawanese saxes for concerts in class and march vintage school owned horns so they don't put extra/hard wear on their newbies (makes sense). A good vintage horn will hold adjustments longer than a modern sax. Instead of 600-1000 for a modern horn- usually more like 1000 or more- I bought my kids cheap (in price), good condition vintage saxes and they have had no issues. The ergos are pretty good and not as bad as people think. I went that route myself when I sold my old MVII instead of getting something new. But I am biased about Buescher!:D

Enviroguy
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Here's the honest truth...

It all depends on what you plan to do with the sax. A vintage Buescher can be a great value due to low cost, great sound and performance.

But if you are new to the saxophone you will need a teacher. I'd find the teacher first and ask them what to buy. Some will want you to have a more modern horn with a more modern sound. Plus, any vintage horn may need some serious repair to be fully playable. And the last thing you want to do is to try and learn on a sax that may have problems. If you do buy the Buescher, make sure it is thoroughly checked out at a shop before you begin trying to play it.

sumitsagaonkar
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd go with a real saxophone anytime if given the chance, and not a Chinese, Taiwanese or even Japanese instrument "based upon the original invention of Adolphe sax"

si signor i agree as a respect towards the good saxophones made...i am thinking on it now...gracias...:)

jicaino
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
si signor i agree as a respect towards the good saxophones made...i am thinking on it now...gracias...:)
:lol: heheh