PDA

View Full Version : Wife using cork grease as chap stick

sessionsax
04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
This is mainly to the lady sax players -- but anyone can help.

I am all male and sometimes have difficulty communicating concerns to my wife without seeming crass.

Well here is the situation. I bought several tubes of scented cork grease and my wife has taken an affinity to them.

I see tubes of the stuff in her purse and have caught her touching up her lips with it a few times.

I mentioned to her that I didn't buy it with the intention of her using it as chapstick, but she seems to love the stuff.

I have brought it up a couple of times now -- politely -- but my stock is still diminishing.

Can any of the ladies in this forum help me come up with a good way to ensure that my investment in corkgrease does not become an investment in chap stick.

I posed this question to the females here, because the male population seems to generally offer advise that ends up putting me in the doghouse.

I will gladly accept any good ideas though

WriterMom
04-30-2004, 10:43 PM
ROTFLOL at the idea of someone using cork grease as chapstick. Yuck.

If I were you, I'd just buy several more tubes of cork grease and keep a few hidden in a drawer somewhere as backups for when she takes the ones from your case.

Cork grease is a LOT cheaper than lipstick, anyway, so you'd actually be saving money by letting her use your cork grease. (Seriously, have you ever noticed the price of lipstick? A tube of cork grease is around $1, and a lipstick is between $7 and $35, depending on the brand.)

kcp
04-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I find this very suprising, personally I would never use cork-grease (I hate the smell) as chap stick. And I would be concerned about how safe cork grease is to use on lips. You know, when a product is manufactured as beauty product, I'm sure there are rules of hygiene that must be taken into consideration.... cork grease?? I think not.

If it makes you feel better; you can use chap-stick as replacement for cork grease. It works. And the good thing is about chap stick, is that it's available in a much wider variety of scents than cork grease is.... watermellon, rasberry, vanilla, cinamon even bubblegum if it turns you on. Go nuts!! Try all the the different scents!! :P

For you granola freaks and GreenPeace fans out there; My favorite chap stick is the Yves Lavigne brand which is made in France; It is 100% pure vegetable, is unscented and it's not tested on animals but it would be kinda expensive I guess to use as cork grease. So the other alternative I guess would be to use the cheap no-name brands available at the 1$ store next corner. The downside is, these are probably tested on cute annimals such as kittens, puppies, bunny rabits and are often made of pork fat, placentas or animal excrements such as bats (so I've heard...Eeeew!! :x ) but who cares about that since you're not wearing it.

As of why your wife is wearing cork grease, there could be a number of reasons, but you are the one who knows the answer. Maybe it is that she thinks you are spending too much time with your saxophone and that somehow she thinks she can fool you into inadvertanly mistaking her as your saxophone if she wears cork grease? (Hint: if you kiss her and that she goes "honk" err... that's your saxophone) Or maybe you could do something nice for her once, like buy her a saxophone? that would kinda make sense since she's already got all that cork grease.... I'm running-out of ideas here, I'm sorry. But seriously, talk with her, this is probably nothing and I doubt very much that cork grease is clean enough to be used as chapstick.

soulsax
05-01-2004, 05:36 AM
Now, dont knock till you try it, cause it works. I did use some to combat chapped lips years back and it worked pretty well. Dont remember any oder either. session hang on to her man, and support her habit. Shes just happy to be hooked up with you and the sax 8)

Sigmund451
05-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Now theres a marketing idea...flavored corkgrease...flavored reeds didnt work but this....hmmmm....Somebody get a patent fast!

Gordon (NZ)
05-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Before I found Alisyn (so much better) cork grease I used to make my own, which I found to be far better than anything I found in shops.

I got the recipe form a clarinetist: 1/4(for winter) or 1/3 (for summer) of beeswax, and the rest vaseline.

It was a great lip treatment. Vaseline is what my father used on cows teats, so it seemed appropriate for lips. The beeswax stopped the stuff from licking off, and gave a pleasant taste.

gerard
05-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Now theres a marketing idea...flavored corkgrease...flavored reeds didnt work but this....hmmmm....Somebody get a patent fast!

I just bought a stick of mint flavored cork grease, it's the Music and Arts Center's house brand.

I'm sure there is no health concerns using cork grease on her lips especially since she hasn't had any bad effects. If she starts using your motor oil as suntan lotion then it's time to seek professional help :wink:

sessionsax
05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input. Kim, you may be right, it may be a subcontious thing to get more attention. I have been aggressive with the practices.

By the way, she isn't using the stock cork grease that I bought. She is going for the scented leblanc cork grease that I bought in bulk from an out of business music store. The stuff smells great.

And you are right, it is cheaper than chapstick, so I guess that I should be happy.

Also, I probably need to stick to buying the plain jane generic -- non scented cork grease.

My wife claims that the cork grease works far better than chap stick.

Women, go figure :?

Vortex
05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Kim: Just don't think about all the cute little billy-goats and kangaroos who unwillingly devote their skin to the making of saxophone pads and you'll be fine. On some clarinets they even use fish-skin... EEW! :x

kcp
05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Kim: Just don't think about all the cute little billy-goats and kangaroos who unwillingly devote their skin to the making of saxophone pads and you'll be fine. On some clarinets they even use fish-skin... EEW! :x

Uh oh... that reminds me of a cartoon I been working on

saxamaphonegirl
05-04-2004, 01:01 AM
the vandoren cork grease smells like lilacs.
it is cheaper then cover girl lip gloss. :)
go ahead and buy it in bulk from wwbw. :) you'll both be happy. :)
or you could resort to being sneeky and hiding all your stuff. i have a tiny pad lock on my case because ly hubby thinks that my pens, pencils, sheet music, and reeds are fair game. he uses my reeds to wedge into the computer desk to stop it from squeaking. you can imagine I how irked i was at this. once i mentioned how much HE is paying for each reed, he immediately stopped.
he takes my pens and pencils and uses my sheet music as scratch paper for his physics stuff(all this when there is a cup full of pens on his desk and a butt load of computer paper under it)!!
i should have never married a scientist/guitar guy who thinks he's einstien. :lol:

Kareeser
05-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Haha.. don't worry... you can get him back when he makes the physics breakthrough of the century.

When he does, tell him to go get a drink down at the pub, and publish it while he's out.

In your name of course.

jazzbluescat
05-09-2004, 07:39 PM
:lol:

Leon Akery
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Personally I never try to reason with any creature that will go through the pain of plucking their eyebrows out with a pair of tweezers and then draw them straight back in again with a pencil.
Just let Her be man.

saabtech
06-12-2005, 02:44 AM
does anyone even know what cork grease is made of?

sonny d.

singlereed
06-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I have often thought that certain brands of cork grease are in fact the same thing as lip salve, because they seem to have the same medical smell. I would think lip salve is cheaper, so maybe in an emergency......

jazzbluescat
06-12-2005, 10:24 PM
does anyone even know what cork grease is made of?

sonny d.

I don't want to know. Kinda like looking on hotdog ingredients before eating, something that is best not known.

GAS_Wyo
03-14-2006, 05:51 AM
OK, this thread died last year, but I just saw it for the first time. Humor me!

We live in a pretty dry climate in Wyoming...it's a highland desert. Chapped lips are very common, especially if you spend some time in the mountains. We came back from a ski trip and my wife saw all my sax junk laying on a table. It was a little dark in the room. She asked me if that was chapstick. I handed it to her, she uncapped it and proceeded to 'wax 'em up'. She noticed that I was watching her, so she knew something was up. We had a laugh about it and forgot it...or so I thought.

Yesterday my daughter asked if she could use my chapstick...my wife busted into the conversation and warned her to make sure it was chapstick, not cork grease! A new family joke. :D

hgiles
03-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Do you really use that much cork grease? For that matter, chap stick? I have had tubes of cork grease for years. Chap stick? A tube will last me all winter unil I just lose it in the spring. Only now I will toss it in my sax case.

paulwl
03-14-2006, 01:59 PM
I've been using Chap Stick as cork grease for years. On actual lips I just as often use Blistex Lip Medex (as endorsed by Joe Lovano). It's got cocoa butter. I'm coocoo for cocoa butter.

Rackety Sax
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
...On actual lips I just as often use Blistex Lip Medex (as endorsed by Joe Lovano). ...So THAT'S the secret to sounding like Joe Lovano. I'm off to the drugstore right now.

redhead
03-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Guys, I am seriously worried about this whole cork grease thing, why aren't the ingredients listed on the packet, hmmm maybe because they're not for consumption, yes, the packet says CORK GREASE not lipstick!!!!

Mine smells wholly unattractive, but I guess my husband might use it, as he wouldn't notice the difference, despite the label!

But, more importantly, how often should you legitimately use cork grease- I have only used it once on my 6 month old sax- it came in the case, and I put in on there and then and not since. :? :? :?

Perhaps some clearer instructions about not eating/licking the stuff, and how it should actually be applied should be printed on the packets?

Redhead

Grumps
03-16-2006, 03:53 AM
I think I'm going to start resurrecting two year old threads too, just to see if anyone's paying attention...

But hey, now that I'm here, if a tube of cork grease would make my wife happy, she can have the lot of it.

usda
03-16-2006, 04:32 AM
During the winter in So Korea, on field exercises, using lubricant was common enough. No harmful effects noted...severly chapped lips is a harmful effect...although the taste left something to be desired.

GAS_Wyo
03-17-2006, 04:59 AM
I think I'm going to start resurrecting two year old threads too, just to see if anyone's paying attention...

But hey, now that I'm here, if a tube of cork grease would make my wife happy, she can have the lot of it.

Grumps, I think you should give it a try. I won't go into it, but it made my wife REALLY happy! :D (and me too!)

sessionsax
03-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow, I can't believe that this thread found new life, but it is has been intresting.

The update from me is: "If you can't beat em, join em"

My wife still uses the stuff and I have taken to it myself as well. It works great and the scented stuff smells great.

Oh, I now have a three year old that will steal a tube from time to time -- she thinks that it is lipstick and wants to be like mom.

Go figure :)

bluesaxgirl
06-11-2006, 03:39 AM
What I like to do is use cork grease as a prank for non band members, (Hey, your lips look dry, my chap stick smells really good...) and of course they go for it. Then I start cracking up and leave. Peppermint flavor is the best, but the cherry vanilla makes me gag and smells up the whole band room. :(

garyinla
06-11-2006, 06:48 AM
I think the old fashioned cork grease that came in tins is some sort of animal byproduct.

I think the new stuff ie the vanduren stuff is some synthetic material.

I know the old stuff and the new stuff is NOt the same, they dont smell or feel the same.

live-for-music
06-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Eugh, personally, i'd never use the stuff on my lips it just doesn't look good, by some vasaline or lipsil and suggest she uses that :P

woodsgirl
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I would get the wife some glasses from the 1$ store! Maybe she can't tell which one is which! I dont' think it is such a big deal, anyway! I am going to get some chapstick for my sax!

bluesaxgirl
06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
why can't we just use chapstick on saxophones and make them smell pretty? (dumbly smiles...)

Ari
06-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I've been using Avon hypoallergenic lip balm on my cork as grease for about 2 years now - it works great, you can also use it on your lips. It is thinner than cork grease so I apply some every day.

PS. you can buy these in lots of 12 - 100 from various ebay cosmetics dealers.

Chu-Jerry
07-13-2006, 02:20 AM
I use "Burt's Bees" beeswax lip balm for the cork and for lips. For you nostalgic types, it even comes (optionally) in the little metal tins. :D
www.burtsbees.com
ingredients list:coconut oil, beeswax, sweet almond oil, peppermint oil, vitamin e, lanolin, comfrey root extract, rosemary extract

Jimmy O
10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Sexwax works great on the surfboard, on the cork and as a sandwich spread.

Off-kilter
10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I think I'd go at it the other way, use Chapstick ( or some other similar product ) as your cork grease and lip balm. Corkgrease can be anything ( silicone, animal fats, petroleum products ) that aren't necessarily going to be bad for you but just esthetically......Ewwwww!:shock: And aren't we all esthetes?:) .On the flipside , Chapstick works just as well on your cork and if chapped lips are getting in the way of your playing, Bob's your uncle ( Sally's your aunt ).
And Chu-Jerry, I second your Burt's Bees:D

sax_therapy
11-01-2006, 12:19 AM
maybe it's some sort of attention getting/ testing her importance type deal... I bet a psychiatrist would be all over this one. She feels you pay more attention to the sax...yada yada

AuntSaxophone
11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't really know what Cork Grease and Chapstick are made up but I have a strong feeling that they're made of basically the same thing. Save for the Marketing. I mean think about it, if it weren't for "Cork Grease" being sold in Music Stores and such, what would we, the instrumentalists, use? I mean, jeez, if there weren't any companies producing reeds, everyone would be struggling to make their own. So Cork Grease is the same way I think. And yes, in an emergency, it makes for a good bit of Chapstick, and Chapstick makes for a good emergency Cork Grease. Vaseline is also a good alternative for the two when you suddenly find yourself lacking both Cork Grease and Chapstick.

matsuo
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
CorkGREASE:brush:

Giganova
01-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Yuck -- that's gross! Cork grease is made of petroleum and other nasty stuff. You should warn your wife.

BayviewSax
01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, tell her to use something like Chapstik, or some other petrol--- eh... oh....:D

bari_sax_diva
01-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Funny that this thread just came back up. I had a stick of cork grease sitting on the counter the other day, and my husband walked into the room, picked it up rather absent-mindedly, and applied it to his lips. When I told him I'd take a raincheck on any kisses that day, we had a laugh about it and I promised to keep the stuff on my instrument junk table where it belonged.

And yes, I have used Chapstick as an emergency cork lube and yes, it works just fine.

Cheers,
Leanne

GAS_Wyo
01-09-2007, 05:11 AM
This is the second time this thread has been revived...must be a pretty good theme.

I found an old tube of Yamaha cork grease with markings that looks just like the chapstick (blue). I've gotten 2 of my family members recently...but not my wife.

Chris J
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
The guy who repairs and services my clarinets has a real thing about cork grease. He has a passionate hate for modern sticks of the stuff. he reluctantly will use Vandoren, but he has a sin bin of other makes that all smell the same and feel the same that he will produce with the minimum of prompting.

He says that petrochemical based grease does not keep the cork pliable, so making it hard and very sticky on repeated use. Don't even think of mentioning using straight vasolene, I don't think his heart could take it - or even as an ingrediant with bees wax.

He says he used to make his own from bees wax, tallow and hydrogenated something or other. He has a pot of commercial stuff which he bought many years ago and at the rate he uses it, it will last longer than he will. It looks yellow like the Vandoren grease, and nothing like the other sticks (which all look like they are made by the same factory and labelled with various makes)

He lightly touches his finger on the grease every time he assembles his instrument so has the most minute coating on his finger tip, and works it over the cork to coat and warm the cork.

I showed him the cork grease in the Ultimax range and had to put the lid back on for fear of him blowing an artery. Anybody know what the Ultimax lubricant for cork is? I got it from MusicMedic.com

jazzbluescat
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
re: cork grease is bad

My repair tech wanted to coat my neck cork with some kinda wax. I almost smacked him one. "What's wrong with you, what if some of that stuff gets on the pads? You @#$%^%." Anyhow, he said cork grease is bad for the cork and that the wax would protect it. I think I'll let him do it because I've since found out he heats the wax and it's absorbed into the cork, fairly benign.

Chris J
01-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi

I read that in the article http://www.musicmedic.com/info/articles/num_4.html - see point 9.

My tech's point is that greasing corks is good, but 99% of cork greases are bad!

joshuski
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Just found this one thread.

I left my old cork grease out on the dining room table cleaning out my case this past holiday season. Well she finally did it - used that cork grease instead of lip balm - caught holy heck for that one. First time it ever happened was kidda funny;)

I thought of using Bert's Bee's stuff on the cork but I've been using teflon pipe tape for a while now.

Saxplayer67
01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Cork grease is versatile, I've used it for threading new wiper refills on my car wipers, fitting my gas stove connector to the gas pipe, lubricating the chamber of a heavy duty stapler, lubricating a new rubber seal in the toilet cistern. Oh, also for using on my saxophone, nearly forgot that one - as well as the crook cork, also on the tenon when stiff!

BAjazzclarinet
09-12-2009, 11:31 PM
In response to the discussion over which chapstick is the best.....

You should not use Carmex especially if you are a musician. It contains an ingredient called Camphor which weakens your lip muscles. I have found that medicated chapstick contains it too. Whenever you buy chapstick, read the labels to see if it has camphor in it.

al9672
09-13-2009, 01:52 AM

kangaroo tastes great! :twisted:
Have a couple of kangaroo sausages for breakfast yesterday and have a
pack of kangaroo steaks in the fridge for lunch today.

Low fat and better for the environment and me than beef or lamb.

Nothing wrong with corkgrease instead of chap-stick except it won't have any sunblock in it , which could be good or bad depending on what the sunblock in chap-stick is.

. A lot of the block outs/sun screens have switched to using nano particles and there are quite a few groups saying not to use them on kids - stick to nano particle free
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2008/s2449409.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/18/2450030.htm?site=news
http://nano.foe.org.au/node/291

camphor damages the lips ?
It might cause toxicity in large amounts but can't see any information that says it damages/weakens the muscles.
Could you point me to some information please ?

Jaxax
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
If she starts using your motor oil as suntan lotion then it's time to seek professional help :wink:

How 'bout transmission fluid as a lotion? - for the skin you love to clutch...

Mal 2
12-04-2009, 06:44 AM
camphor damages the lips ?
It might cause toxicity in large amounts but can't see any information that says it damages/weakens the muscles.
Could you point me to some information please ?

When I was in drum corps, we were warned not to use it because the mild numbing effect could allow a person to play beyond their normal pain tolerance and do damage. It wasn't evil in and of itself, it just enabled you to hurt yourself more easily.

If she starts using your motor oil as suntan lotion then it's time to seek professional help :wink:

How 'bout transmission fluid as a lotion? - for the skin you love to clutch...

It's a floor wax, AND a dessert topping! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/61320/saturday-night-live-shimmer-floor-wax)

jthole
12-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Also, I probably need to stick to buying the plain jane generic -- non scented cork grease.

My wife claims that the cork grease works far better than chap stick.

Women, go figure :?
Well, next time buy cork grease with a distinct petroleum smell ;)

I think the stuff is pretty harmless for the skin though. I mean, it's a lot like regular vaseline (which also is petroleum based).

birdlives1955
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Awesome, flavored cork grease, exactly what I've always wanted. That's pretty gross!

I have to say though, recently I have been experiementing with leaving my tenor mouthpiece in the fridge at night while marinating with raw steak juice in a ziploc bag. Sometimes I feel a little sick after I play on it for a few hours, but so far I haven't actually thrown up or anything. Plus, the taste that the steak juice leaves on the piece makes you just want to keep practicing and practicing! I practiced for like 5 hours straight the other day, took a break for about 20 minutes until the queasy feeling started to wear off, and put another 4 hours in right after that. It was awesome. I feel like my chops are getting so much, well, steakier...

OK sorry I didn't mean to take it that far out but sometimes the rocket launches a little further away from the launch pad than you expect if there's some extra fuel in the reserve tanks that you weren't aware of when you lit the engines up. :)

DixieSax
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, since this thread has been resurrected...

Maybe the OP should take it as a compliment, and she is using the cork grease for it's intended purpose.

To "reduce friction" when the "tenon" is oversized for the "recepticle." :twisted::twisted::twisted:

DaddyRabbit
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
DixieSax, sometimes you frame my thoughts so eloquently. :D

DaddyRabbit
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Before I found Alisyn (so much better) cork grease I used to make my own, which I found to be far better than anything I found in shops.

I got the recipe form a clarinetist: 1/4(for winter) or 1/3 (for summer) of beeswax, and the rest vaseline.

It was a great lip treatment. Vaseline is what my father used on cows teats, so it seemed appropriate for lips. The beeswax stopped the stuff from licking off, and gave a pleasant taste.

I was just wondering what kind of research you did on that last part. :shock::shock: Nevermind. ;)

hakukani
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I saw a guy using lipstick instead of cork grease.

'How long you been using that?'

'Since my wife found it in my case.'

DaddyRabbit
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Ahhh, a variation on the old "panties in the glove box". :D

hakukani
12-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Ahhh, a variation on the old "panties in the glove box". :D

I steal from the best.:)

StokeyBob
09-08-2013, 05:30 AM
I've been using chap-stick as cork grease.

Hey maybe there's a solution for you. ?

Don't they just glue on the proper label for either cork grease or chap-stick at the factory depending on your order? They may even have other labels. ?

Turnaround
09-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Sexwax works great on the surfboard, on the cork and as a sandwich spread.

That's something I have not thought of. Used to use Sexwax all the time in my beach days. It was the best thing for your stick. Comes in many flavors as well. I used to eat the stuff in between sets. That little bit of salt would be nice too.

If we're going to bring back a thread, I say we go all the way.

Maddcow
09-08-2013, 08:00 AM
I remember a time when I was in college and it was winter but I literally had no money to buy lip balm. I looked at my cork grease one day and thought "Why not?" I reckon I must've used cork grease on my lips for at least a month before no longer needing it. I've never been as broke as that memorable "cork grease winter" but have definitely recommended using a little cork grease to desperate students with badly chapped lips!