PDA

View Full Version : ARB for bari

vick
04-26-2004, 03:58 PM
how is the ARB when it comes to bari. I know it is very similar to the old brilhart level air. also, how is quality control when it comes to beechler who makes these pieces?

sessionsax
04-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I use an ARB for alto and have tried several. The quality control for these pieces is much better than the current standard for Bergs and Dukoffs -- links and such.

And you are right, the design is almost identical to the old Brilhart levelaire design. They are great bari pieces and do well on alto and tenor as well.

Subtone Sam
04-28-2004, 03:26 PM
sessionsax,how is the baffle with the ARB bari mpc? As far as I know,its a high-baffle piece with step-off but does the baffle lower right after the tip area or does it stay high all the way to the step-off? If theres any chance in getting a pic of the baffle,that would help much.I'm looking for a mpc similar to Lamberson DD but in metal.Thanks!

sessionsax
04-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Subtone Sam,

I am not good with the semantics of describing a baffle, but I see it as staying high all the way into the chamber.

Something unusual about the ARB is the way that the baffle seems to go straight into the chamber when you look at it straight on. The design of the mouthpiece is such that the air stream travels in a straight line to the chamber. It doesn't work like a lot of other high baffle pieces such as a Dukoff --- where the baffle height lowers in step until it reaches the chamber. By the way the chamber seems to be in the medium to medium large range -- which fattens up the bottom end.

I guess this is what Arnold described as Level Air in his initial mpcs -- before beechler took up the design.

If you have ever played an old Level Aire Brilhart on bari, this is the same idea.

I don't know if that helped, or clouded things for you. They play really sweet -- but may need the baffle lowered -- as I do on mine -- because they are real screamers straight out of the box.

Subtone Sam
04-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks,sessionsax,just the information I needed.ARB seems to have the baffle I'm looking for.Most high-baffle pieces (like Dukoff and BARIs),lower the baffle too soon for me.I'm looking for a screamer for bari,as sick as it may sound... :?