PDA

View Full Version : Vito - yanagisawa serial number

MissBari
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi!
Got an old Vito bari and am curious as to which model and year it is. Have been looking everywhere on the internet. It's got serial number 018018xx and has "Japan" stamped under it. Can anyone help, please?

NissanVintageSax
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
http://doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

If it's a Yani Vito, it will have "Made in Japan" on it, the Yani "Lyre" symbol trademark, and "VSP". Those are nice Baris.

cymru97
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
The earlier Yani-built Vitos were B6 models, they usually only have vito engraved on the bell. The next generation, engraved "Vito VSP" were 800 series horns and when Yani debuted the 901, the Vito VSP followed suit. All are very good horns and you will get plenty of mileage out of any of them.

MissBari
06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks, NissanMark and Cymru. It does not say VSP anywhere, only "Vito" on the bell. Under the serial number is the lyre and under that "Japan". That's it.

The seller told me it was an 880; could that be? And if so, how old would it be?

Does anyone know where to find its serial number (018018xx) on the internet?

Thanks again!

NissanVintageSax
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
http://doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

Serial number is in my quote above! "Doctor Sax" has the most comprehensive Vito listing on-line (he specializes in odd-ball and under rated vintage saxes). He is a nice guy to talk to on the phone, and answers e-mails promptly as well.

Hurling Frootmig
06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's my vintage Yanagisawa page:

http://woodwindforum.com/?page_id=57

I also have a gallery of a lot of the horns at:

http://woodwindforum.com/?page_id=112

MissBari
06-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank for your replies, guys.

According to doctor sax it appears to be an early 80's(?) (VSP?)... Will try and contact doctor sax on that one, just to be sure.

The serial# in doctor sax's list certainly does not fit with it being an 880 like the seller told me the sax is.

HF: I am a bit confused about your list. The closest fits are 1993/94, numbers with 8 digits. My serial number is 018018xx, but yours start with two 0s.

Thanks again!

cymru97
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Heh heh...

Yeah, notice how nobody gave you a direct answer??? Yani serial numbers from back then can be fairly difficult to decipher. Photos might actually be the best way for us to identify what model you have. That said, I can honestly tell you it doesn't really matter which model (B6, 800, 900) you have, they all play incredibly well. Now if you paid a premium to get what you believe to be an 880 and it is not, well that's another story.

It seems that as soon as someone thinks they have the Yani serial number system figured out a new wrinkle pops up. Hope you are enjoying your horn, whatever model it is!

MissBari
06-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, Cymru, I guess you are right; it sure is hard diciphering those old Yani serial numbers.

Just got a reply from Doctor Sax. He has concentrated mostly on Yanis/Vitos made in France and Kenosha and not much on those from Japan. The only clue that he has about serial numbers like mine (018018xx) is that he thinks the 3rd and 4th digits indicate the year of production, which in this case would be 1980.

It still leaves the question as to which model it is. I am rather happy with this Vito. I recently test played a brand new Yani B-901 and Yamaha YBS-32 and got very grateful for my horn. The new ones just couldn't measure up with this old, very much used, Vito when it comes to sound, response or anything - except looks:-) Still, I had been looking specifically for a Vito bari 880 for a couple of years and believed that what is what I bought - just not quite sure and really would like to know in case I need to sell it.

Can anyone tell anything about my Vito Yani bari from the uploaded pics, please? (Can send more pics if needed).

ManEast
06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Can anyone tell anything about my Vito Yani bari from the uploaded pics, please? (Can send more pics if needed).

Hi Miss Bari

This look's very much like a B6 to me. Can we have a stand back pic of the whole Sax.

MissBari
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Interesting, ManEast. Just attached more pics. Hope they are good enough. Otherwise, please ask again.

Thanks a lot!

cymru97
06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey MissBari,

Here is a photo of the bell keys on the B6 I used to have. Hopefully you can see that the helper ams on this model were below the key cup and it appears yours are above. Although it isn't conclusive evidence as to what model yours is, it does indicate a difference. I need to look more closely at the other features when I have more time, but the bell keys jumped out at me right away.

ManEast
06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi
I think all of the bari 's after the B6 had an high F# key :?

MissBari
06-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Cymru. Yes, I see what you mean about the arms.

Looking forward to hearing from you again - and from anyone who might have a clue as to which model this Vito is.

cymru97
06-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi

Huh, interesting thought and something I didn't even think about... I did look at Saxpics and there is a Vito VSP with bell keys similar to MissBari's and the 600 series Prima seems to be more like mine (if you can see clearly past the unbelievable silverplate). Neither has a High F#.

I guess this could be an evolution within the B6 model, or it could be one small step between the B6 and 800 series while the 900 saw the addition of the F#??? Just speculating here so don't read into it!

MissBari
06-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi

... Hmmm, ManEast, could be. My Vito does not have the high F# key.

Come to think of it, though, I once played a Yani bari from around 1984/85 and it did not have the high F# key either:?

MissBari
06-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I did look at Saxpics and there is a Vito VSP with bell keys similar to MissBari's ...

Interesting points, Cymru.

Just checked out the Vito on Saxpics. The differences are that it does not have "Vito" engraved on the bell, at least not where it is engraved on mine (right side, near top), and Vito in Saxpics seems to have a small engraving on the bell on the middle near the top - or it might just be the light or scratches:? - mine has no engravings except for "Vito". Besides, I can't really tell by the pic if it has double arms on bell keys like mine does.

... getting more and more curious now:?

cymru97
06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
That's how you know it is a VSP. Your engraving was like mine, an oval on the side of the bell. The Vito VSP engraving was in an inverted triangle closer to the front of the bell. Faintly visible in the saxpics photo.

Either yours is a late B6 or an 800 series horn I'm guessing.

MissBari
06-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Either yours is a late B6 or an 800 series horn I'm guessing.

Well, it seems that we are getting closer to finding out which model.

If anyone would have a clue as to if it's a B6 or an 800 (or something else?), please let me hear from you.

ManEast
06-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Heh heh...

Yeah, notice how nobody gave you a direct answer??? Yani serial numbers from back then can be fairly difficult to decipher. Photos might actually be the best way for us to identify what model you have. That said, I can honestly tell you it doesn't really matter which model (B6, 800, 900) you have, they all play incredibly well. Now if you paid a premium to get what you believe to be an 880 and it is not, well that's another story.

It seems that as soon as someone thinks they have the Yani serial number system figured out a new wrinkle pops up. Hope you are enjoying your horn, whatever model it is!

I so agree with this... the best Bari i have ever played was a B6 (it belongs to a bud of mine, am trying to get him to send me some pics)
His B6 is sooooow funky, like a fat Alto. I would love one. Its more than i can cope with,giging with Both Alto and Tenor.

P.s. Ever had a go on a Lawton Bari M.P?...For me, thats the one for Bari.

My Kind Regards

ManEast

ManEast
06-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi

... Hmmm, ManEast, could be. My Vito does not have the high F# key.

Come to think of it, though, I once played a Yani bari from around 1984/85 and it did not have the high F# key either:?

The B6 was on sale in the U.K up untill 89.

Look at this-

Just looking at a 1989 Howarth catalogue has the B6 and 880 Bari's listed. Here's what the Yanagisawa page says (and remember, these are 1989 GB£ prices!):

Yanagisawa have been a leading pioneer in the field of manufacturing
and repair in Japan ever since its establishment in 1893.
They offer a comprehensive range of saxophones. All are of the highest
quality design and craftmanship now taken for granted in Japanese
instruments.

Sopranino......................................... .....................RRP . Our Price

SN600............................................. ....................910.00 . 728.00
SN800............................................. ...................1003.00 . 802.00

Soprano

S6................................................ ......................965.00 . 772.00
S800.............................................. ....................1036.00 . 828.00
SC880............................................. ...................1158.00 . 926.00
S880.............................................. ....................1268.00 . 1014.00

Alto

A500.............................................. .....................878.00 . 772.00
A880.............................................. ....................1210.00 . 968.00

Tenor

T500.............................................. ....................1004.00 . 805.00
T880.............................................. ....................1378.00 . 1102.00

Baritone

B6................................................ .....................1725.00 . 1380.00
B880.............................................. ....................2365.00 . 1892.00

MODELS
6 Series

These original Yanagisawa models have remained one of the most
popular of their range in Japan and overseas countries for both
beginners and advanced players.

500 Series

This model has been developed as an ideal instrument for the
beginner as well as the advanced player. The key positions are
designed so that young players can play easily.

880 Series

The table keys, thumb key, high F# and octave key of this model have
been developed with the help and guidance of professional players to
accomplish a smooth technical execution.:)
___

cymru97
06-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Wow, now that's the first time I've ever heard that the B6 and 880 were available at the same time! I always assumed that the B6 production stopped with the introduction of the 800 series. Huh...

I haven't tried a Lawton, but that and an RPC are the two pieces that I would love to try on my 991... Unfortunately they are both rather pricey, someday though.

MissBari
06-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks a lot for your input, guys. That list is very interesting, ManEast.

Well, guys, I have some interesting news, too. I just called the Yanagisawa Showroom in Tokyo. They had a hard time with English but were extremely helpful and kind. It turns out that my Vito was made in 1981 and is a B6 model, so your guesses were quite good!!

Also, Yani informed me that the B880s were manufactured in 1980-1990. Their serial numbers range from MAYBE 00102143 to MAYBE 00162968 - notice the maybes; no wonder serial numbers are hard nuts to crack when the factory is not even sure of them:)

In summing up, it turns out that I bought a B6 and not an 880 like the seller told me it was. Must admit that I am a bit disappointed. However, I would never ever trade this B6 for any of the new Yanis or Yamahas out there even if I were paid to do it (it would have to be a lot, then!!)

Still, I do have my mind set on getting an 880 bari some day, so:

Does anyone know how to recognize an 880 bari by its looks/construction? (Apparently serial numbers are a bit uncertain.)

Thanks a lot for all your info so far, guys. I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards from MissBari.

PS. No, never tried a Lawton mp. Wish I could, but never came across one here in Denmark. Am looking to "step up" from a Meyer, though.

ManEast
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks a lot for your input, guys. That list is very interesting, ManEast.

Well, guys, I have some interesting news, too. I just called the Yanagisawa Showroom in Tokyo. They had a hard time with English but were extremely helpful and kind. It turns out that my Vito was made in 1981 and is a B6 model, so your guesses were quite good!!

Also, Yani informed me that the B880s were manufactured in 1980-1990. Their serial numbers range from MAYBE 00102143 to MAYBE 00162968 - notice the maybes; no wonder serial numbers are hard nuts to crack when the factory is not even sure of them:)

In summing up, it turns out that I bought a B6 and not an 880 like the seller told me it was. Must admit that I am a bit disappointed. However, I would never ever trade this B6 for any of the new Yanis or Yamahas out there even if I were paid to do it (it would have to be a lot, then!!)

Still, I do have my mind set on getting an 880 bari some day, so:

Does anyone know how to recognize an 880 bari by its looks/construction? (Apparently serial numbers are a bit uncertain.)

Thanks a lot for all your info so far, guys. I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards from MissBari.

PS. No, never tried a Lawton mp. Wish I could, but never came across one here in Denmark. Am looking to "step up" from a Meyer, though.

Hi MissBari

Well Done ! Words from the factory...that is very cool.
Please take look at this 880 Tenor, ESP the Yani badge on the front of the bell .
http://www.ronschi.co.uk/yanagisawa/

along with serial number's you now have from the guys at yani, you sould know what to look out for.
Also, I have never seen an 880 that was not stamped 880

Good Luck:)

MissBari
06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
:)
Hi MissBari

Well Done ! Words from the factory...that is very cool.
Please take look at this 880 Tenor, ESP the Yani badge on the front of the bell .
http://www.ronschi.co.uk/yanagisawa/

along with serial number's you now have from the guys at yani, you sould know what to look out for.
Also, I have never seen an 880 that was not stamped 880

Good Luck:)

Great pictures! Thank you so much, ManEast. Now I feel much better equipped for my 880 bary hunt :)

hjerrild
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Ska Sax
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
So I checked out doctor sax's sn listings and the woodwindforum vintage yanagisawa page, but still uncertain about the model and year of a Vito Yanagisawa Baritone Sax SN 572665. I'm assuming this is a B6 model stencil. The serial number is a little strange but may correspond to a couple with this six digit format on doctor sax's page (towards the end of the list). Can anybody identigy the model number and year of manufacture from the photos on this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120685432410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Thx

Hurling Frootmig
02-25-2011, 02:29 AM
It's a B6 from 1972. Early Yani serial numbers aren't always formatted the same way but almost always you will find the year as the second and third or the third and fourth numbers.