PDA

View Full Version : David Binney

BigDaddyJ
04-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Well I haven't posted in while, but I think David Binney's CD "South" is something to talk about. What can say about this superlative album......Original compositions, great energy, whoopass playing, unbelievable young lineup (guest appearance by Chris Potter playing his usual amazing lines)........This CD has it all!! The compositions are so original they make me listen to music differently. Some composers sacrifice musical quality to try to sound original; not South. This album has inspired me to start practicing again. I have a couple of Binney's older albums. Pretty good stuff, but nothing like South. If you can't get this CD locally, you can order it from Amazon.com. Can't wait to get his new CD just released this month "Welcome to Life".

Joel

cane78
04-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I have been following his playing for years. Highly underrated and not nearly as much press as he deserves. He's has had a couple of 5 star ratings in Downbeat for his recordings but not a whole lot of talk. A very distinct voice both in his playing and composing. Good news is that all seems to be changing. Check out his website at mythologyrecords.com

JS
06-23-2004, 11:34 AM
"South" is an amazing recording - I love the writing/playing from all those involved. "Welcome to Life" is inspiring, to say the least. I saw this band play at the 55 Bar in NYC a while back with Chris Potter, Scott Colley, Adam Rogers, Craig Taborn, and Brian Blade - I think my jaw was on the floor the entire show. David Binney sounded incredible, but Chris Potter played some of the most powerful, emotional solos I've ever heard live. David Binney deserves WAY more recognition than he gets...

citizn cane
06-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Don't miss "Balance," with Jim Black, Uri Caine, Wayne Krantz, Tim Lefebvre (sp?), Donny McCaslin, among others. Really diverse mix of tunes, some with female vocals. One tune, "Speedy's 9 is 10," is amazing combo of rock & free. Last track Binney plays no sax, but a synth solo. Great disc. David's one of my absolute favorites. Tone, lines, compositions all cutting edge & beautiful. Get it from Mythology Records (through website), or Amazon might carry it too.

miles
06-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Anyone know David Binney's setup? He has a great sound.

BigDaddyJ
07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I just got "Free To Dream" and "Welcome To Life" from Amazon. Amazing! "Free.." was recorded before "South", and "Welcome..." came after. You can definitly hear the charts and the sound of the band evolving. Great tunes and soloing by everyone on the disc. I have not seen Binney or Potter live yet (does Binney play outside NY?), but this is the best I've heard them play. I have "Free.." on my cd player at home and "Welcome..." in my car.

tophatcane
07-01-2004, 09:22 PM
who is playing alongside Binney on 'south?'

cane: everytime i see a group (live) with jim black i can't keep myself from watching him at the expense of the others. including tiny bell trio (with dave douglas), tim berne's bloodcount, chris speed's yeah-no...
great great players all but i can't help but be mesmerized by black. ever feel that way?

BigDaddyJ
07-02-2004, 05:06 AM
South personnel:

Alto Sax: David Binney
Tenor Sax: Chris Potter
Guitar: Adam Rogers
Piano: Uri Caine
Bass: Scott Colley
Drums: Brian Blade or Jim Black

cane78
07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Dave plays a MK VI and a Meyer 6 mpc.

JS
10-12-2004, 03:56 PM
I just wanted to revive this thread on David Binney's music. I've been listening to his CD's almost on a daily basis for the past few months - particuarly, "South", "Welcome To Life", and "Free To Dream" - Binney's writing is hands-down some of the most interesting, thought provoking, forward thinking music out there today. I'm constantly moved by his organic aproach to improvising - very patient, takes his time, develops his motives, and incredible use of dynamics.
If you live in the NYC area, you really ought to make it a point to check out one of his shows at the 55 Bar on a Tuesday night - he plays there about once or twice a month.

BigDaddyJ
04-21-2005, 07:10 AM
I just noticed that Binney came out with a new album "Bastion of Sanity". I just bought it on-line. I should receive it in a few days. I can't wait. Binney's albums are still some of my favorite.

later

Joel

NickR
04-25-2005, 12:11 AM
If you dig Dave's playing, get Equilibrium by Alex Sipiagin. Lineup is Sipiagin, Binney, Potter, Kikoski, Colley, Jackson. Dave has loads of room to blow and he's great!

tinpalaceroach
06-20-2005, 06:07 PM
i just bought Dave Binney's "South" and it is different since i never heard of Dave before. he sounds real good as a player but the music is very unfamiliar to me being the first time listening to it. it sounds very ECMish from there 70's-80's period but not in the way it's recorded which is an ECM signature but in the openendness the way this music(South) is presented. interesting to say the least and having a great rythm section to pull it off helped alot. i have always liked the European players and this recording gives me a sense of that again. possibly after a dozen listenings or so i'll hear things differently.